Books

An Interview with Nicola Morgan

Bethan Morgan

I have always loved reading and writing, and both of those things seem to run in our family. We all love a good book, and there is even a writer amongst us! My aunt, Nicola Morgan, has had over 90 books published and knows a thing or two about the art of creating a story. Here’s what happened when I asked her a few questions about her writing...

1. When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?
I just always wrote, without thinking about wanting to "be" a writer, until I was 20 and then I decided I wanted to be a novelist. 21 years later, I succeeded!

2. What is your favourite type of book to write and why?
Non-fiction is easier than fiction. So for that reason I prefer writing non-fiction. But fiction is more satisfying than non-fiction. So for that reason I prefer writing fiction!

3. Where do you do most of your writing?
In my lovely garden office! It has a big glass wall and all I can see are trees and plants and flowers. And squirrels and birds.

4. How do you think of new stories?
I get away from my computer. I never think of a new idea when I'm at my desk. Ideas come all the time when I'm just pottering about the house or out walking or talking to other people. But most ideas never end up being used. I had three today! 

5. Do you have a favourite character from your books?
I think Jess and Jack in Wasted. Or maybe Livia in Sleepwalking. Or maybe Matilda in The Passionflower Massacre. I can't decide.

6. How does it feel to have a book published?
Amazing. But I have to keep reminding myself because also I'm never satisfied with what I've done and I could get bogged down in being dissatisfied if I didn't keep reminding myself that it does feel amazing to have a book published.

If you would like to know more about Nicola Morgan and her books, here is a link to her website: http://www.nicolamorgan.com/

Would you like to be a writer? What would you like to write about?

justcricketforme 20 October, 2013 - 13:00

I love writing and I write and I'd love to become a writer. Last summer I sent one of my works to the OUP company but I failed that made me feel a bit down but cheered me up when I got to know that my granddad who is an author failed his first time too. In future i hope to get a book published.

someoneintheworld's picture
someoneintheworld 5 July, 2013 - 12:48

I don't wanna be a writer as job but i wanna write write a book. In fact i am writing a book about 2013 of the world. I will publish my book in the future.

Natalija 29 June, 2013 - 16:03

Hi, Mervan!
I watched just 1st season of Vampire diaries, but I think it's very good serial. I know there is a book too, but I haven't read it yet. I like growing vegetables too, but I don't have a big garden, unluckily. I haven't heard for The Shawshank Redemption yet, what is it about? I like films very much, although I haven't watched all those high recommended films. I recommend you to watch The Godfather with Marlon Brando. It's both crime and psychological, I like it very much. You've perhaps watched it. Than I like The Red Corner, with Richard Geer, it's thriller, I like them the best, than Charade with Audrey Hepburn and Carry Grant, To Catch a Thief, Casablanca, Dirty Dancing, Bonnie and Clyde-a real story about criminals, Flashdance, Suspicion with Carry Grant etc. Have you watched TV series Friends?
:)

47mervan's picture
47mervan 27 June, 2013 - 16:25

Hi Natalija
Yabancı Damat is a good choice .Last year i watched The Vampire Diaries.It is a good series,you can watch it.I generally reading book,watch films ,listening the music , swim in the aqua park's pool and grow vegetables.We have got a big garden so that i can spend my leisure time in the nature.I grow eggplant, peppers, okra and beans with my mom(until we go holiday).Natalija did you watch The Shawshank Redemption?What do you suggest me about films?:)

Natalija 26 June, 2013 - 19:13

Hello, Mervan:)
You're right, studying in Istanbul is better for your future, and it's true you'll miss your parents and home, but you can talk to them every day and go home for holidays and weekends.
Yes, I'm a ballerina:). Thanks for your congratulations.
Yes, I get bored those days so much:(. I was so looking forward to holidays, and now, when holidays begun, I don't know what to do:). I read books, magazines, watch films, listen to music, practice dance, play tennis, ride etc. I like doing all those things, but they became a part of my daily routine, so I don't enjoy in them anymore. I don't have many friends at school, and those few I have are already on holidays. I should go to Spain soon, and I'll spend there a few weeks. I hope that my Mom won't be swamped with work, otherwise I won't go, and it would be such a disaster for me, to spend the whole summer indoors. Last week I felt so bored that I started to watch TV series:). I watch Turkish one-Yabanci Damat, it's actually very interesting and funny. What are you doing those days? Do you feel bored too?
<3

47mervan's picture
47mervan 26 June, 2013 - 13:10

Hello Natalija
Thanks for nice comment.Yes you are right.I have to move from Mardin soon.I have complex emotion because when I am in İstanbul I miss my family too much but if I study high school in İstanbul i can get a better job.It will be better for me.Natalija are you a ballerina ?I don't know that.Congratulations you have passed those exams:)I think you should relax and store energy for next year. And we will go to Mersin for holiday if my father let us.What do you do during the day,are you bored?

Natalija 26 June, 2013 - 10:45

Hi, Mervan47!
Congratulations, well done! I knew you can make it. You must be very happy and content about your success, and you'll soon have to move from Mardin. Are you sad because of that?
I'm in my city now, in Belgrade, but I'll go to Spain on holidays soon, I'm so looking forward. I really needed this holiday, and I'm trying to enjoy in it as much as possible. I've passed ballet exams with highest grades, so now I can relax and forget about school for some time:). Will you be going on holiday this summer?
<3

47mervan's picture
47mervan 25 June, 2013 - 21:39

Hi Natalija
I am really fine because my exam's result is perfect.I can study in a İstanbul's high school.(My dreams come true.)Where are you now?I think you have a perfect holiday like me
If you keep writing on i will be happy:)

Natalija 25 June, 2013 - 10:08

Hi, 47mervan!
I miss your comments too:). I'm fine, thanks. How are you? I guessed you were occupied with studying, because you have exams for high school entrance. How is it going? Have you already had those exams?
My summer holiday began 10 days ago:).

47mervan's picture
47mervan 24 June, 2013 - 21:12

heyy Natalija!!!
I miss you.How are you?
And i can't write often lately because of exam and school.
Last week the summer holiday began(for me).

Natalija 23 June, 2013 - 11:45

Hi, sirajkhan:)
I'm here, just less active than usual, since it's summer time:). I'm fine, and I'm enjoying in this beautiful summer weather. How are you? What's up? :)

sirajkhan's picture
sirajkhan 25 June, 2013 - 14:22

HI! Natalija
Hope you fine,I am very well,thank you, nice to see you,hope you become regular one,wish you all the best,looking you soon ,missing you ,have a nice day take care

sirajkhan's picture
sirajkhan 23 June, 2013 - 10:15

Hi! Serbian Jane Auston, hope your are good I dident see your any comments ages ago ,where you lost and how is going

Jona's picture
Jona 11 June, 2013 - 14:54

I have already written some short stories but I don't think I am going to become a writer...

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 14 June, 2013 - 18:26

I think sometimes it's fun just to write for yourself, even if no one else sees it :)

47mervan's picture
47mervan 26 June, 2013 - 21:31

Hi bethan Morgan
I want to improve my English in this summer.What should i do?Can you help me?

sirajkhan's picture
sirajkhan 19 June, 2013 - 19:32

yea,its really one of the happiest and memorable moments of your life ,when you see your work in real...thanks for exchange informative ideas

sirajkhan's picture
sirajkhan 10 June, 2013 - 09:08

Hi! Bethan Morgan,I want to know how to become best fiction writer ,if u or anyone have an idea share me plz

Natalija 15 June, 2013 - 11:26

Hi, sirajkhan
I agree with Bethan, if you wrote something you think it's worth publishing, then you should try to publish it. I started to write one book a few years ago, and I haven't finished it yet, but I'll finish it this summer, and I think I'll try to publish it, because you never know with writing, your book may become a bestseller. Just follow your dreams and never give up:).

sirajkhan's picture
sirajkhan 19 June, 2013 - 19:30

Hi, Natalija
I deem it wise,because of consistency,dedication,and iron will make you strong and happier ,I had a lot of thoughts about romanticism and fiction,with the passage of time your thoughts and ideas get stronger and mature then you do whatever your dreams and burning desire,once again thanks for sharing nice ideas....tc

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 14 June, 2013 - 18:24

Hello! I don't know the exact process but I suppose if you write a book which you are proud of you should try and get in touch with a publishing company or someone in the writing industry and see what they think :)

MALINE 2 June, 2013 - 01:38

Hi Bethan I´d like to ask your aunt what book does she recommend to us young people learning English?

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 2 June, 2013 - 11:35

My aunt's advice is to read something in a series so that it becomes familiar. The authors she mentions are Anthony Horowitz (especially for boys) and Cathy Cassidy (especially for girls). Hope this helps :)

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 2 June, 2013 - 10:33

Hi Maline, good question! I think it is quite difficult as it depends on your tastes and your level of English, so any book for young teens would be a good place to start I think. I will ask her for her advice and will let you know :)

MALINE 2 June, 2013 - 01:32

I think I could never become a writer I have a poor imagination though I always have different dreams maybe I could write about it ;-).

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 2 June, 2013 - 10:31

I think writing about dreams would be really interesting as they are like another world - a very good idea!

sirajkhan's picture
sirajkhan 30 May, 2013 - 22:47

Yea ,I want to be a article writer,especially want to be anthropologist and society lover

Natalija 25 May, 2013 - 21:57

It was my dream when I was little. I used to read a lot, especially romantic books, and I dreamed to become a Serbian Jane Austen. I wanted to write books about love, because it's human's biggest inspiration and motivation. I want to study law now, but writing is still very temptingly for me, and who knows, maybe you'll read my romantic books one day:).

Kai Enju's picture
Kai Enju 22 May, 2013 - 02:51

I don't strongly want to be a witer , but if I'm a write, I'd like to write about love, or non-fiction, :)