Books

A Jane Austen-style picnic

9
FrancesS

When I was little I used to read every day but as I got older I read less and less. I preferred to watch TV instead of reading a book. However, I realised that I had watched three different television adaptations of Jane Austen's famous novel Emma but had never actually read the book. So I sat on the sofa with my book and a cup of tea to discover the world of Jane Austen.

Emma was published in 1815 and is about a rich girl who likes finding husbands for her friends. In the novel, there is a famous scene where all of the characters have a picnic at Box Hill in Surrey. I found this scene particularly interesting because I live near Box Hill. As I was reading about the picnic at Box Hill, I decided to have my own picnic there. My sister and I decided to wear old-fashioned hats like the characters in Emma and drove to the countryside.                                                       

My friends also came to the picnic and brought freshly baked cookies. We sat on top of the hill and admired the view while eating. Even though it was unlikely that Emma ate cookies at her picnic, very little has changed in two hundred years. The view from Box Hill was pretty much the same as Emma would have seen it. Although Emma was written in 1815, modern readers can still relate to the story and visit the same places. I believe that Jane Austen’s books are still popular today because the characters do the same activities that we do, such as having picnics together on a sunny day.

In the novel, Emma's first picnic was a disaster because she insults another character called Miss Bates by saying that she is boring. However, at the end of the book everyone forgives Emma so they plan to have another picnic. Emma has taught me that it is important to share experiences, like a picnic with your friends, to create wonderful everlasting memories.

Do you enjoy reading? Have you ever read about a place that you have been to?  

I love reading books and if ever I got the whole day free i can spend the whole day by reading books!
Well! it's really amazing that FrancesS lives at the place which is mentioned in Emma! Really cool! I've read Emma and it's really a nice book! Sense and sensibility was also a good one and I also love reading her Pride and Prejudice .I wish that I would also get a chance to go to the places i've read about!

FrancesS's picture
FrancesS 9 April, 2015 - 18:43

I could read for the whole day too! That is amazing that you have read so many books by Jane Austen! Have you read Northanger Abbey? It is probably her least famous novel but is a good read.

Have you watched some film or TV adaptions of Jane Austen's books? 

Hi FrancesS!
Thanks for your comment! well, I've read only the abridged one but not the full. Yeah it was good but I read it many years before I hope I could read it again. and I've never watched some film or TV adaptations of Jane Austen"S books!

justNaNa's picture
justNaNa 22 January, 2015 - 14:05

Reading is the most beautiful way to spend your time . Well... I didn't read anny book about a place where I was or where I am , because I love to read British books , and I wasn't there , but I hope I will. :)

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 29 December, 2014 - 15:12

I love reading. Both classics and modern. although I'm not lucky as FrancesS to go to a place I have read about. Prhps not in reality, but in my inner surge of imagination, I have..........................

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 29 December, 2014 - 15:10

Wow, its really cool that FrancesS lives in near Box hill, the actual place where Emma had her picnic in the book. I love Jane austen's books, epecially Pride and Predjudice. But Emma 's a favourite one too. I always rewatch the BBC adaptation of Emma every holiday.

FrancesS's picture
FrancesS 23 February, 2015 - 14:11

I love Pride and Prejudice too! The BBC adaptation of Emma is very good. Have you read Persuasion? It is one of my favourite books written by Jane Austen.