Books

What makes ‘Harry Potter’ so magical?

68
Hannah Bacon

When author J.K. Rowling had the idea for the ‘Harry Potter’ stories, she was on a delayed train from Manchester to London. She was very excited about her idea, and started outlining the plots almost straight away. However, what she didn’t know was, years later, that idea would turn into the bestselling series of books ever to be published.

But what causes us to love this young wizard so much? What are the reasons why his story has spread right across the world and reached so many different people?

Imagination

While reading, we discover that J.K. Rowling not only describes what happens to one boy – a whole world is there waiting for us when we open the cover! It’s not just the Hogwarts students and teachers who come alive through the writing each character, from the shopkeepers to the bus drivers, has his or her own life and personality – even if we don’t find out about them directly from Harry!

If you read closely, you can spot the magical background details, and notice how colourful and alive they are. For example, think about the scene in ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ where Harry has his first conversation with Ron. Here we are introduced to many new and exciting things: frogs made of chocolate that can jump out of the window, jelly beans of any flavour you can think of, and even moving people in photographs!

British Connection

However, it’s not only the extraordinary details that make the ‘Harry Potter’ series so unique. Some people say that they have learned a lot about British culture by reading the books. For example, a young girl from Germany said that when she read about the “Knight Bus” driving around London, she was amazed at the idea that a bus could have more than one level! She had never seen a bus like this in Germany, and was happy that one day, she might have the chance to see one if she visited Britain.

Did you know that Harry and his friends take important exams at the same time as British children (age fifteen or sixteen)? At age seventeen, young wizards can also take a test that allows them to “Apparate” (transport themselves from one place to another). This is the same age that British teenagers can learn to drive a car!

Humour and Good v Bad

Some say that the best kind of story can make you cry and laugh at the same time. Of course, those who make us laugh the most are the Weasley twins, Fred and George, who can make even the worst situations better for everyone. Even when George’s ear was destroyed by a curse, they couldn’t resist telling a joke about ears!
Fred and George prove that being able to laugh can be a very useful tool.

Other popular characters also demonstrate good qualities, such as Hermione’s hardworking nature, Harry’s bravery and Ron’s loyalty. Together, they fight against those who believe that power, greed and prejudice are the way forward. The series shows us some very real and universal issues that humans face, while keeping us entertained along the way!

Over to you!

What is your favourite kind of magic?
Do you identify with a particular character?
Do you like books that make you laugh?

Over to you! Reply to Hannah's questions in the box below.

And, finish this sentence: "Harry Potter is ..."

fay4's picture
fay4 13 June, 2017 - 20:46

I like Harry Potter so much
My favorite character was Hermione
I don't dislike the books that makes the person laughs but I also don't like it that much
I enjoy reading it if I want to kill time

Assia75's picture
Assia75 4 February, 2019 - 13:26

I loooove Harry Potter ! My favorite part is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire because there are... a lot of actions... !

1 user has voted.
1105014's picture
1105014 18 May, 2017 - 16:33

Harry Potter is amazing because it is magical!
Harry Potter is a good book since it is magical.
Harry Potter is........
--but why, Harry Potter is magical?
I think there are two advantage :
-----It is unpredictable, for example, god will know why the scars on Harry became painful again, Voldemort is die for a long long time! Can you guess what will happen? Of course no!
-----It is unbelievable, Invisibility Cloak, Dementor, Golden Snitch...these are all impossible be appearing in the world, but it can appearing in the word!
J.K.Rowling bring the one of the best story to us, to the world.
Harry Potter is the most creative story book in the world, amazing!
a-1 z-26 0-_ 11-K

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 3 January, 2016 - 09:59

Dark arts is my magic. Boohoo!
I certainly am a Hermione and a Bellatrix inside
Certainly, I love books that makes us laugh

Harry Potter is.....One of the most brilliant series I've read

iva10 15 June, 2015 - 15:33

Harry Potter is a great story about a boy who discovers that he's a wizard. I read the book and I watched the film too.

ArNick's picture
ArNick 15 March, 2015 - 13:07

Harry Potter is one of my favourite books I'v ever read .. I like the good magic which makes the end of the story a Happy-End ...
I love the books that make me lough alot .. I think that kind is the one I want to read all the time ..
I watched "Harry Potter" movies and I enjoyed in them, But I think reading the series is more interesting than just watching .. Why? In reading you use your imagination to imagine the characters, plot and setting ..
And one of the best things in Harry Potter is Hogwart ,Wow!! What a place !!!!!

Harry123's picture
Harry123 15 March, 2015 - 12:14

This stories had gave me some information , such as friendship and imagination . Also , it's so funny , especially Fred and George .
Lastly , Harry Potter is so brave and powerful

Heidiyy's picture
Heidiyy 14 March, 2015 - 14:14

Harry Potter is a magical story.When i watch this movie, l just like in the story! The things are lifelike.
In the story, my favourite kind of magic is Reparo and Point me. As I am a careless and weakness in direction person, if I can learn these two magic, i will not lost the direction and can mix the metail that I broken.HaHa. :)

student123's picture
student123 18 February, 2015 - 16:33

1. My favourite kinds of magic are transfiguration and defence against the dark arts.
2. Hermione.
3. Of course!

Harry Potter is just amazing!

yigitada98's picture
yigitada98 8 June, 2014 - 17:13

1. The magic "Sectumsempra". is the best.
2. Severus Snape is the best character in series. We all thought he is traitor but at the last, we figured out that he is awesome.
3. Yes, funny books make me funny.
and..-- Harry Potter is the best series i have ever seen.

TayaCool24's picture
TayaCool24 19 April, 2014 - 20:14

1.My favourite kind of magic is Trasfiguration
2.I look like Hermione,but I have a temper like Luna Lavgood(I have a very strong imagination)
3.Harry Potter was and is my favourite book.I read this when I was only 7 years old,so I can not describe my feelings in words.It was amazing!

WildChild's picture
WildChild 5 November, 2013 - 14:14

1.I don't have favorite kind of magic :P :)
2. I don't think I do..
3.It depends. When I feel down I don't usually grab a comedy book.. I rather read something exciting and scary, like Dracula or something.... I don't really like that kind of books...

Harry Potter is smart. lol xD :P

solid's picture
solid 26 October, 2013 - 16:50

harry potter...i read the series twice...and it was perfect!
i think i am somehow like Hermion because of her hardworking and as funny as Weasly twins..:))
and i think one of the most powerful point of this series is that you can not predict how the plot are going to be unfold....

Ilgın's picture
Ilgın 11 July, 2013 - 21:52

I love so much Hary Potter series. What makes Harry Potter so magical? haah everything because the author created a new world which is so different also so similar with our world. However I learned from this books that you never give up and believe in yourself and your friends:)

kumamon373's picture
kumamon373 16 June, 2013 - 00:38

I have watched the movies!!!
I love Harry potter.
However, I have read only two volumes.
I'll try to read all of them!

lovecats's picture
lovecats 9 June, 2013 - 10:15

I have watched Harry Potter. It is really interesting! However I have not read it yet so I would like to read it someday!!!

Tricia's picture
Tricia 9 June, 2013 - 02:08

I have seen Harry potter's movie,but never read book!
So I would like to read it!
It must be interesting!!!

yuukarin's picture
yuukarin 8 June, 2013 - 13:30

I like Harry Potter so much!
I read this story again and again in Japanese.
But I've never read in English so I want to read it once.

Ahtram's picture
Ahtram 30 May, 2013 - 16:18

Harry Potter is one of this books, which one you will not be able to put down until you have finished the last chapter. I've read it for the first time when I was 8 years old, and I couldn't wait for my eleventh birthday, all time I was asking my mum ' Are there any letters from Hogwarts, mum?'.
I'll never forget this book. A week ago I started to read this book in English - this is really good method to learn more vocabulary!

yondai_taku's picture
yondai_taku 25 May, 2013 - 14:18

i've just read the novel in my own language, it is wonderfull.i wonder how the english novel is.I also watched the film, i love all character n the voice of british is brilliant. Love it

MiftahAdi's picture
MiftahAdi 27 April, 2013 - 16:03

i love this story, because we can find a lot of lesson that we can learn. Such as help each other, belief, friends, etc.

MALINE 4 March, 2013 - 01:56

I love Harry Potter and all and each character. I think I´ve read the books at least five times!

rabbitukraine2013's picture
rabbitukraine2013 22 February, 2013 - 21:12

HARRY POTTER Ithink is one of the best books that had ever been written and i'm sure that everyone had ever looked a film or read a book . Harry Potter its not only magic but also there is some kind of moral which was written so good that every child can undarstand it. Have magic weekends!!!!!!!!!!!

Holly Vine 25722's picture
Holly Vine 25722 22 January, 2013 - 19:06

Harry Potter is my favorite book.What makes Harry Potter so magical?........Everything!!!!