Books

Monday, 20 February, 2012 - 14:15

What makes ‘Harry Potter’ so magical?

by Hannah Bacon

When author J.K. Rowling had the idea for the ‘Harry Potter’ stories, she was on a delayed train from Manchester to London. She was very excited about her idea, and started outlining the plots almost straight away. However, what she didn’t know was, years later, that idea would turn into the bestselling series of books ever to be published.

But what causes us to love this young wizard so much? What are the reasons why his story has spread right across the world and reached so many different people?

Imagination

While reading, we discover that J.K. Rowling not only describes what happens to one boy – a whole world is there waiting for us when we open the cover! It’s not just the Hogwarts students and teachers who come alive through the writing each character, from the shopkeepers to the bus drivers, has his or her own life and personality – even if we don’t find out about them directly from Harry!

If you read closely, you can spot the magical background details, and notice how colourful and alive they are. For example, think about the scene in ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ where Harry has his first conversation with Ron. Here we are introduced to many new and exciting things: frogs made of chocolate that can jump out of the window, jelly beans of any flavour you can think of, and even moving people in photographs!

British Connection

However, it’s not only the extraordinary details that make the ‘Harry Potter’ series so unique. Some people say that they have learned a lot about British culture by reading the books. For example, a young girl from Germany said that when she read about the “Knight Bus” driving around London, she was amazed at the idea that a bus could have more than one level! She had never seen a bus like this in Germany, and was happy that one day, she might have the chance to see one if she visited Britain.

Did you know that Harry and his friends take important exams at the same time as British children (age fifteen or sixteen)? At age seventeen, young wizards can also take a test that allows them to “Apparate” (transport themselves from one place to another). This is the same age that British teenagers can learn to drive a car!

Humour and Good v Bad

Some say that the best kind of story can make you cry and laugh at the same time. Of course, those who make us laugh the most are the Weasley twins, Fred and George, who can make even the worst situations better for everyone. Even when George’s ear was destroyed by a curse, they couldn’t resist telling a joke about ears!
Fred and George prove that being able to laugh can be a very useful tool.

Other popular characters also demonstrate good qualities, such as Hermione’s hardworking nature, Harry’s bravery and Ron’s loyalty. Together, they fight against those who believe that power, greed and prejudice are the way forward. The series shows us some very real and universal issues that humans face, while keeping us entertained along the way!

Over to you!

What is your favourite kind of magic?
Do you identify with a particular character?
Do you like books that make you laugh?

Over to you! Reply to Hannah's questions in the box below.

And, finish this sentence: "Harry Potter is ..."

Submitted by Tolis5 on Wed, 07/07/2021 - 20:09

Harry Potter is amazing, wonderful, lovely,magical, the best! Harry Potter is my favorite book. My favorite character is Lord Voldemort,though. Who's your favorite character??

Submitted by hermione123 on Thu, 07/08/2021 - 12:01

Hermione of course. But i kinda like Luna. She is different :)

In reply to by Tolis5

Submitted by Tolis5 on Tue, 07/13/2021 - 10:05

Hi hermione123!!Nice to hear from u!Both Hermione and Luna are lovely!!Best wishes!

In reply to by hermione123

Submitted by hermione123 on Thu, 07/15/2021 - 01:26

i know, but hermione underestimates luna in the first place. it's kinda annoying that hermione doesn't believe in so many things unless it's proven. while Luna definitely believe everything her dad says. they are totally different, i'm so glad they both can handle it well.

In reply to by Tolis5

Submitted by Tolis5 on Mon, 07/19/2021 - 20:27

Well,that's true.Hermione and Luna have two completely different personalities ,but this doesn't stop them from being good friends. Best wishes,Lida(tolis5 is a nickname;my real name is Lida) P.S.I apologize for my English,but I'm Greek and I often make mistakes while speaking English. Thank you

In reply to by hermione123

Submitted by hermione123 on Tue, 07/20/2021 - 23:07

Hi Lida, True, indeed. And it's absolutely fine if you make a mistake. We're all learning, and we possibly make some mistakes :) What's your favourite harry potter book?

In reply to by Tolis5

Submitted by Tolis5 on Wed, 07/21/2021 - 14:17

Hi Hermione, of course we all make mistakes. My favorite Harry Potter book is the 4th, Harry Potter and the goblet of fire. What about you??

In reply to by hermione123

Submitted by hermione123 on Thu, 07/22/2021 - 08:22

uh hard question. each of them is incridibly good. but, i think i prefer the 7th book. there are so many adventures:) and i think this book is harder to understand than other books since it's about death and there is no dumbledore anymore who can clear up the situation. anyway, i really love to talk about harry potter with you. honestly i know no one who loves harry potter except my english teacher

In reply to by Tolis5

Submitted by Tolis5 on Sat, 07/31/2021 - 15:28

Hi dearest Hermione123!I'm terribly sorry that I didn't answer earlier, but I was on vacation.The 7th book is a bit more complicated and more difficult to understand compared to the rest of the series.I think it's lovely!The 4th book is more....adventurous.I also love talking about Harry Potter with you!I'm surprised you know nobody who likes H.P.,as most people of my acquaintance love it!Best wishes! P.S.Who is your favorite professor?Mine is McGonagall.

In reply to by hermione123

Submitted by hermione123 on Mon, 08/02/2021 - 12:25

Yeah, i bet you're surprised. But in my grade there's no one who really loves harry potter, NO ONE! That's bizzare! But, not many kids love reading in my school, i think that's why. My favorite professor is Dumbledore! He is so selfless and such a brain! Though he says he was selfish when he was young. But McGonagall is a good professor too. I wonder if anyone loves snape??!

In reply to by Tolis5

Submitted by Tolis5 on Tue, 07/20/2021 - 08:50

Hi hermione123!Hope you're well!You're right.Hermione and Luna are two completely different personalities. This doesn't stop them from being good friends, though.Best wishes!!

In reply to by hermione123

English courses near you