Books

The World Behind The Hunger Games

44
Lane Nieset

Imagine a world where boys and girls have to fight to survive in an annual competition run by the country. In the competition, there are no survivors. It is a fight to the death. What if you were chosen to participate? What if someone in your family was chosen?

In “The Hunger Games,” the first novel in Suzanne Collins’ trilogy, the main character faces that very dilemma. Katniss Everdeen, a 16-year old girl who lives in District 12, is forced to make a life changing decision at the Reaping, an event that takes place each year to choose the contenders in the Hunger Games. Here’s how it works: Everyone’s name between the ages of twelve and eighteen in the country of Panem is entered in the Reaping. The older you are, the more times your name is entered, and the more chances you have to be selected. A boy and a girl are selected from each district to compete in the Hunger Games. Originally, the country had thirteen districts until they revolted against the Capitol. District 13 was destroyed, and the Capitol created the Hunger Games to show their power and control over the other districts. In this post-apocalyptic country that was once North America, the children from all of the districts fight against each other in the Games until only one tribute is left standing.

On the day of the Reaping, Katniss is hoping that she doesn’t get picked. To her surprise, her younger sister, Prim, is selected. Katniss is shocked because this is Prim’s first year in the Reaping. To protect her sister, Katniss volunteers to take her place and participate in the Hunger Games.

Here’s where things start to get interesting. The Hunger Games is somewhat like the Goblet of Fire in “Harry Potter.” The players must rely on their skills and strategy in order to stay alive and win. In the arena, you never know who is a friend and who is a foe. To complicate things even more, Peeta, the boy who is chosen from District 12, gave Katniss food when she was starving and has always had a crush on her. Should she return the favour and help Peeta during the competition, or should she forget about him and protect herself?

The book has the perfect combination of suspense, romance, and science fiction that is sure to please all types of readers. You will be drawn into a fictional world that can be dark and twisted, but it also has a magical element. Katniss also deals with the idea of love and emotions because she is confused about her feelings toward a boy back home and Peeta during the games.

“The Hunger Games” is a huge trend in the United States that is spreading to the United Kingdom and France. The book has been turned into a film that will be released in 2012. There is a lot of buzz in the air about this movie and many people think it will become the next big thing, like a new “Twilight.” The movie comes out in spring so you have enough time to get caught up on the series and get lost in the world of The Hunger Games. Let the games begin!

Have you read or seen The Hunger Games yet? What did you think?

bookworm19's picture
bookworm19 5 July, 2016 - 14:56

yes,,i read hunger game...no words to describe it...it's nothing but awesome!!!!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 3 January, 2016 - 10:02

I read hunger games. It's really nice but the imagery is really dark and gloom. So I 'm content with reading it once but not much willing to read it again. Besides I so wish that gale and Katniss coupled up.

Khaleesi's picture
Khaleesi 22 April, 2014 - 14:02

It was a pleasant trilogy to read. But slightly overrated. Am I the only one who thinks this?

justcricketforme 8 February, 2014 - 09:30

I just finished reading it. It's great! I just LOVE it's romance, it makes me smile, cry and have butterflies in my belly! I love the book a lot.

WildChild's picture
WildChild 5 November, 2013 - 14:05

I've seen the movie.. :) It is awesome and I can't wait to see the next part (Catching fire)! ♥ :D

ann_gemini's picture
ann_gemini 10 October, 2013 - 06:14

I read the hunger games. By reading it, I could know more about each character's personality. I could feel the characteristics of a girl living in a wild region, Katniss ,through her thoughts. She's strong, confident and talented at hunting.It's much better to read than watch the film. There are a lot of scenes in the book which are not filmed. The twists in the book made me thrilled. Overall, the hunger games is the best book ever!

nimglish's picture
nimglish 26 July, 2013 - 12:17

One of the best book for teenagers and even grown-ups, full of action and most importantly, some actual facts of our society, which are found by "decoding" the book.

otarsichinava's picture
otarsichinava 24 May, 2013 - 08:33

i never seen this film, and a did not read this book. and a can not write anything about this.

natia.m.088's picture
natia.m.088 28 April, 2013 - 08:23

it sounds very intresting, i'm going to read this book. In my country it's very popular

foreverlove's picture
foreverlove 18 April, 2013 - 18:17

These are wonderful books.First film is exciting.I am going to watch catching fire.I think second film is going to be exciting too

Miley's picture
Miley 6 April, 2013 - 20:34

I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES!!! love it..... i love it...i love it.....and yes it is way better than twilight.I have read the books and cant wait to see the next movie catching fire. There is only a thing i don't like from this book. Prim dies in the end :(( the other things are great!! Thank you Susan Collin for this great.awesome, wonderful,amazing story . Thank you! ♥ the hunger games ♥

Henry's picture
Henry 5 January, 2014 - 10:09

I think like you, but don't tell the finish of the third book! Do you know in spain the third book (Monkingjay) name's is "Sinsajo". ♥The Hunger Games♥

Idon'twanttoforget's picture
Idon'twanttoforget 3 April, 2013 - 21:27

I read "The Hunger Games" trilogy and i loved it!!! I can wait to see catching fire :) I'm a tribute!

Tayswiftloverxo's picture
Tayswiftloverxo 23 February, 2013 - 10:22

I have read all the books in the series and watched the movie. can't wait for catching fire to come out!!!

merlin's picture
merlin 9 February, 2013 - 19:41

i have read only two of them and i love it also i have seen the hunger games film it s amazing but the books are more interesting

Katniss Everdeen's picture
Katniss Everdeen 9 February, 2013 - 12:02

I absolutely loveee it!!! Never had I read such interesting books before.Looking forward to the new movies :)

Sparky Cuddlekins's picture
Sparky Cuddlekins 12 December, 2012 - 16:19

I've read all the three books,and I really enjoyed them. Just the fact that everything happened in a post-apocalyptic world really made me curious. The movie was great too! :)

LadyBookworm's picture
LadyBookworm 25 September, 2012 - 00:26

I've read all the trilogy books and seen the film too! Can hardly wait to see the next film, Catching Fire! =D

Guadi's picture
Guadi 1 June, 2012 - 20:56

Yes, I have. I think that is a very entertaining and romantic film. I really enjoyed it. It is awesome!