Monday, 29 January, 2018 - 09:38

An excuse to watch television

by JenniferBlogger2017

Like most people I know, I love watching television. When I was little, I would always look forward to watching a children’s programme on TV when I arrived home from school. These days, when I’m at home, I enjoy flicking on the television in the evening after a busy day to watch a crime drama or chat show. Although we typically watch television to unwind and we often feel guilty about watching too much of it, TV series are an excellent resource for any aspiring language learner.

When you are learning a language, it is a great idea to choose a foreign language series to watch. The series can belong to any genre: thriller, drama, comedy or even reality television, whatever takes your fancy. Watching this series is a fantastic way to improve your listening skills because the characters or presenters will talk at a normal pace and will use authentic language. It is also a very useful way to familiarise yourself with more colloquial language which cannot be found in a textbook but which is used regularly in real life.

If you are a beginner, it can be a good idea to start by watching the programme with subtitles in your native language. However, as you become more confident, you can have a go at watching a series with foreign language subtitles or even with no subtitles at all. Remember that the aim is not to understand every single word! You just need to be able to understand the overall storyline and you can often work out the meaning of unfamiliar words and phrases from the context. Although it can be difficult at first, it is important to keep going!

I have recently finished watching an Italian series called Il paradiso delle signore (‘The Ladies’ Paradise’). It is a drama about a young woman from Sicily coming to work in a department store in Milan. I thought it was great – I really liked the protagonist and the storyline was very gripping. After finishing an episode, I was desperate to find out what happened next. Sometimes, whilst watching the programme, I noted down any unfamiliar vocabulary before checking it in a dictionary. However, at other times, I put my pen down, relaxed and enjoyed the show. My listening skills have definitely improved and my vocabulary has widened.

So, there you have it: an excuse to watch TV!

Language level

What English language programmes do you watch?

Profile picture for user Hardworker2005

Submitted by Hardworker2005 on Sat, 04/11/2020 - 11:50

Normally I watch English club tv

Submitted by valenhc1123 on Sat, 03/21/2020 - 20:12

Since I was 14 years old my family always recommends me to watch programs in English. Currently most of the series I see are in English. The last series I´m watching is "skins", which deals with the daily life of a group of teenage friends.

Submitted by davidmora_ on Wed, 02/05/2020 - 18:47

I think this reading is quite constructive, educational and interesting, they are very good arguments that claim to watch television, and at the same time learn, either general culture or other languages.
Profile picture for user SLMT

Submitted by SLMT on Sun, 03/11/2018 - 14:50

I don’t watch English language programs.But I do drama series and variety shows.My favorites series are Friends,Ugly Betty,How I met your mother,Hell’s Kitchen,Master chief US and America’s next top model are my favorite programmes. I always watch with English subtitles.Then I watch them again without subtitles if I have free time to watch again. It really helps my listenening skills and improve my vocabulary as above article.

Submitted by Cafe on Thu, 02/22/2018 - 05:45

Thanks for great presentation! I agree that this is beneficial. As you say, learning languages from television, we can study "raw languages" even if we are not able to go abroad. I get some interest in foreign TV programs thanks to your mention.
Profile picture for user MyStudyCoachJonas

Submitted by MyStudyCoachJonas on Mon, 02/12/2018 - 23:03

I wach more films in English than series or programs. Films that I like more in English are: Star Wars, Super heroes films, musicals and action films (In general).
English courses near you