My top-three Christmas films

9
EleanorC

It’s that time of year again in Europe: Christmas music is playing on the radio and whole streets of houses are decorated with fairy lights. One of my favourite things about December is that Christmas films are shown on the television. They remind me of being with my family in a warm sitting room, enjoying being together and eating chocolates. Here are my favourite English language Christmas films:

1) Love, Actually
Love, Actually is a fantastic film, which deals with love in all its forms. It is made up of lots of different stories, based on various characters and their relationships with one another. For example, there is the British Prime Minister who falls in love with his secretary and a man who is completely in love with his best friend’s new wife. It’s a romantic comedy so even if some parts are a bit sad, there are plenty of funny moments and the ending is light-hearted. This film has a large cast of famous British actors, like Hugh Grant and Keira Knightley.

2) Elf
Elf is an American comedy film starring Will Ferrell, about a man raised as an elf in Santa Claus’s workshop. He leaves his life of toy making in the North Pole and travels to the United States to find his true identity. He gets into hilarious situations in the real world, trying to spread the Christmas spirit to the people of New York. This film is full of silly jokes but also shows us the importance of having family around us, especially in the holiday period.

3) The Holiday
This is another romantic comedy, the genre of film that I watch most with my mum and my sister. In the film, two women who are unhappy with their romantic situations decide to swap houses for Christmas. Amanda, played by Cameron Diaz, goes to England for the holiday, while Iris, Kate Winslet’s character, travels to Los Angeles. They both discover what winter is like on the other side of the world and both meet the man of their dreams in unexpected situations. Even if the ending is quite predictable, this film is heart-warming and perfect for a winter afternoon.

These are my three favourite films to watch at Christmas time, surrounded by my family and preferably with a cup of hot chocolate. This time next week, I will be on a plane flying home for the holidays: I can’t wait!

Do you enjoy watching films about Christmas? What are your family traditions in the winter holidays?

iva10 13 August, 2015 - 16:39

I enjoy watching films about Christmas .Our winter tradition is that we all go on the balcony amd we watch the light that they are firing.

MALINE 16 August, 2014 - 22:56

A tradition during winter in my house is to drink a hot beverage "ponche",it is a hot beverage wich includes lots of fruits, it smells really delicious and the smell fills up all the house,lovely.

zehra's picture
zehra 11 January, 2014 - 16:23

I LIKE films abuot New Years TREE. Children like to get presents in the socks which is hung on yhis tree
Our family spend winter holiday in our mountains We go there to skate

MathsGuy1001's picture
MathsGuy1001 14 December, 2013 - 19:11

I don't celebrate Christmas but I love this time of the year... I love watching films about Christmas and my favourite is Home Alone, I'm not sure is it the 2nd or the 3rd part. My family and I celebrate New Year at home with a few friends, mum makes great food and we watch fireworks. On Christmas, we visit our friends who celebrate it and spend time with them... I love this time of the year because my parents don't work and my sis and I don't have school... After the holidays we go to a mountain for skiing :)

ellen's picture
ellen 14 December, 2013 - 17:41

Yes, i enjoying watching films about Christmas.
My favorite Christmas films is The Holiday, ~Alone at home~.

Niluh 14 December, 2013 - 13:42

There isn't winter here in Indonesia and we don't have any special traditions in rainy season.
In my country, Christmas films are shown on the television always same every year. Home alone is the most played on tv and it makes me boring watching it, i prefer cartoon such UP or finding nemo.