In praise of photography

11
HannahW

I love photography.

I bought my first proper camera when I was 16 so that I could have memories of my school prom, but before this I had always enjoyed using a disposable one and loved looking through the photos when they had been developed. The camera I saved up for when I was a teenager was a digital one, meaning that I could see the photos straight away rather than having to wait a week for them to be ready - less exciting but really useful! I began to appreciate not only the finished result of the photo, but the process of taking it in the first place. My camera was not a really expensive one with a lot of settings, but I still enjoyed experimenting with different ways to get an interesting picture. Since then my enthusiasm has grown and grown and now I really see it as an art form!

I am definitely not alone in my passion for photography. I come from Winchester, an historical city in the South of England, and there are always a lot of tourists in the summer months. As I walk or cycle down the street, I often find myself pausing to offer to take a picture of a family standing in front of the cathedral, or dodging to avoid being in the way of a photo. I feel proud to live in such a picturesque city, and I know that if I were a visitor there, I would be getting out my camera too!

But I think we have seen a change in the type of photography going on around us. The current trend in Britain seems to be for ‘vintage’ cameras - big bulky ones that would once have seemed old-fashioned, or ones that only take black and white photos, or old film cameras. Perhaps we’re all getting tired of the millions of samey photos uploaded onto Facebook every day, and we’re looking for something a bit different. Whether we take photos simply to capture the moment, to show our friends or as a form of artwork, most of us would agree that photography is a brilliant thing.

The funny thing is that, despite my passion for photography, there are moments when a scene is so beautiful, or a moment so special, that all I can do is put aside my camera and enjoy life in the present.

Do you like taking photos? Do you think people take too many photos these days? 

chaunguyen_cn's picture
chaunguyen_cn 17 August, 2014 - 14:28

I really taking photos. :D
Today, most teener usually changed figures by photoshop, camera 360. ect. I think some people, they do that to make confidently than life outside. They want to complete themeselves in other face. However, I'm critical the people who use photo editing techniques to do wrong things.

shysper25's picture
shysper25 4 July, 2014 - 02:45

Photography is one of my favorite hobbies. I have a great passion of taking landscape of nature. For this I bought my first camera at the last year of my graduation. It also helped me in my research work. After that I have captured thousands of pictures. Several people who saw my pictures did praise my hand of photography

framed27's picture
framed27 10 May, 2014 - 17:21

Images that is to love me if I like to take pictures, Because They are memories of life are precious moments That May no one resume, but at some moments where you must not take photo Because That Moment will be remembered to death, but even so I love to take photo is bad That I have no camera Cadre u u

Sophia18's picture
Sophia18 2 April, 2014 - 14:56

I like so much! And I like take photos! Yes, the people really take too many photos every day.

dzeni 18 March, 2014 - 14:54

I adore taking photos. Wherever I go I take my photo camera. Sometimes I spend more time on taking photos than enjoying in the nature or some other place which I visit. It bothers a lot of people around me because they hate taking selfie or taking photos of other place.
I`m sure that people take too many photos these days but I really understand them. Most of people like taking photos because they want to perpetuate some special or funny moments and remember some events or places they visit. Others like taking pictures because they want to share them on Facebook.

MALINE 10 November, 2013 - 02:11

I like taking photos especially on my trips I like to take as many photos as I can to remember all the places that I´ve been.

HannahW's picture
HannahW 13 May, 2014 - 09:32

Photography is a great way of recording exciting things we've done, like the trips you mentioned in your comment. Another way I like to remember special moments is through writing them down in my journal!

Toma English's picture
Toma English 21 October, 2013 - 21:59

I Like taking pictures but I'm not a photographer,, and yes many people take loads of pictures and consider themselves as a photographers lol xD maybe that doesn't happen where u do live but that happens in the Egyptian facebook community :D
and some apps like Instagram allowed many people to take pictures and upload them :D

Harabeli Supersweet 19 October, 2013 - 07:59

I like taking photos, but I'm not the kind of person who spend hours taking photos every day. I think that people are so obsessed these days. They don't take photos just for fun and memories, but they tend to post everything about their lives online. And programs like Photoshop are killing photography. People modify their photos so much. But I think that a photo should be real and not perfect. After some years you would like to see in a photo how you looked like and not how you wanted to look like. And it's better to have some personal or familiar photo albums and not to post everything online, where random people can see them.

Lavender 22 October, 2013 - 03:02

Hi Harabeli I totally agree with your point of view. I often use the photo editing apps to enhance or crop my photos so as they look more artistic. But to make the eyes bigger or the skin very white or the face very smooth without an pimple I never like that. I prefer a real face with imperfect figures on it than an angel one. I also get bored with similar big eyes-red lips-white skin faces posted every day on my Facebook. We're young, so natural beauty is the best. If you are not confident just blur some pimples on your face is enough :) As Harabeli said a photo should be real and not perfect.

Natalija 16 October, 2013 - 16:07

I really like taking photos. I'm one of those "annoying" people who take so many photos daily, but I just can't resist. My friends tell me I must stop. I like taking picture of nature, friends, family, myself... My phone memory is full since I took so many photos, and I really like photography. I think it's very important to note any significant moment in our lives, and is there any better way than photos? ;-)