Monday, 1 October, 2018 - 11:35

Searching: film review

by ElsaBlogger2017

How much should we believe what we see online?

This film follows David Kim, the father of Margot, a teenage girl who disappears after a study session. To help with the investigation, the father is asked to look into Margot’s personal life. The more he discovers, the more he realises he knew nothing about his daughter. David learns that she made strange money transfers and participated in online chat rooms, which leads to questions he cannot answer. In the film, we see how technology is crucial but also detrimental. While it helps David to uncover information, it poses a question: how much should we really believe? Information can be misleading. 

The film demonstrates how real life can be distorted through Margot’s Facebook account. She has a few hundred friends on Facebook but none in real life. It highlights how the internet can show a false representation of someone. Furthermore, the content of her messages is miscommunicated, something we can identify with if we’ve ever been the victim of a misunderstood message. Social media quickly turns ugly as an innocent hashtag to find Margot soon escalates to the public blaming the father: #thefatherdidit. With social media, everyone has a voice and ulterior motives, and even her classmates only pretend to care about her to use the publicity to promote themselves.

The film is recorded only via a computer screen rather than having the standard camera shots. This fairly new approach is refreshing. The father's computer changes over the years from Windows to a Macbook, and opening multiple tabs and using Facetime is very relatable. As a result we identify much more with the characters, feel more invested in them and empathise to a much greater extent. The filming is very cleverly done and we begin to forget that it’s all through a computer screen.

The film manages to capture the attention and hearts of the audience. It has a suspense-filled storyline and fresh perspective that mirrors technology in our own lives, making it of cultural and personal relevance. So, if you’re searching for a film to get lost in, this is the film for you.

Would you like to see the film? What films have you seen recently?

Profile picture for user Andrii

Submitted by Andrii on Fri, 11/12/2021 - 18:27

This film sounds really confusing so I want to watch it (no matter how strange it may sound). I haven't been watching films for a long time, but the last film I've watched was "Jungle Cruise".
Profile picture for user MishMish

Submitted by MishMish on Mon, 09/06/2021 - 19:59

I would like to see the film, honestly. I consider it's important to watch revealing films like that from time to time. All the action movies are of course lots of fun, but what leaves a great impact are ones, we thi k of lately. Last film I watched was Green Book. I couldnt kick it out of my head for a week, thinking how difficult it was for people that time and still is people are struggling. If at the end of the movie you learn something, it changes your view or you get inspired that means a great movie for me, worth spending time. Soon, there is going to be a theater release of Blue Bayou by Justing Chon as the leading actor and director as well. Cannot wait to see that.

Submitted by EmualistaDog on Tue, 05/18/2021 - 18:45

The truth is very useful to know this information ... I am also very interested in seeing the movie, what's more, I will look for it and see it today. Thanks for the input. Michael
Profile picture for user Kostantinus

Submitted by Kostantinus on Sat, 04/03/2021 - 13:12

I would like to see this film, but I don't know its name. What is this movie name? Recently I've seen "Lilo and Stitch" part 1 and a cartoon "Soul". They are very interesting.
Profile picture for user JoModerator

Submitted by JoModerator on Mon, 04/05/2021 - 12:06

Hi Kostantinus,

The name of the film is 'Searching'. 

I hope that helps!

Best wishes,

Jo (LearnEnglish Teens team)

In reply to by Kostantinus

Submitted by mishi on Tue, 02/02/2021 - 15:37

yes i would love to watch,i havent watch any movie recently as i m busy in my exams wish me best of luck
Profile picture for user IGYOON

Submitted by IGYOON on Sun, 07/12/2020 - 09:58

I love watching movies a lot! But I watch them only on TV. whatever the channel shows. but till today I have watched very beautiful and awesome movies. A korean movie "Miracle in The Cell number seven". I am in love with this. I really want to see this movie.
Profile picture for user MishMish

Submitted by MishMish on Mon, 09/06/2021 - 19:46

Thanks for the movie idea! I'm in love with Korean movies since long time. My sister has been watching them since 2014 and I got hooked up as well. That time my favourite was Miss Granny but now it's Navillera and Sweet Home.

In reply to by IGYOON

Submitted by Julabrus on Mon, 06/08/2020 - 08:17

I'm not sure if I'd watch this movie. Yes, I got a lot of infomation on what the movie was about, but I didn't feel like it was very convincing to be a fun movie. I've also heard a lot of people saying it's quite boring, though it sounds like an interesting consept. Resently I've seen a lot of horror/thrillers, as well as documentaries. One of these was the thriller "The Turning" which is based on a novelle called "The turn of the screw". This movie is the 27th movie made based off of this novelle. The movie had quite a few chilling moments, though the ending didn't fit the rest of the movie, and it made the movie not worth watching at all. There was also a few scenes in the trailer, which wasn't included in the movie, and that was quite disappointing. Basically what the movie was about, was this teacher who got the job as a nanny/teacher for a little girl who had lost her parents. The mansion which the girl lived in was apparently haunted, and witch this the young woman got haunted a lot while being there. At the end she was seemed to be crazy, and the rest of the ending is unexplainable.

Submitted by mila123 on Mon, 03/23/2020 - 02:12

i will like see the film, looks interesting. often i like see films about action and romance, but i think than this type films isn´t very interesting

Submitted by SaraPerdomo22 on Wed, 02/05/2020 - 18:58

I think it is important to watch these types of movies as they will help us to know all the kinds of dangers of social networks, and I also think it is important that our family be aware of everything we do on the networks in case of a case. like the one in the movie
Profile picture for user Genius_Girl

Submitted by Genius_Girl on Sat, 04/13/2019 - 23:03

I don't like to see that kind of film. The films I have seen recently are the "Mr.Deeds" and "The Perfect Date". "Mr.Deeds" was very funny at the beginning until the very last end. The movie 'The Perfect Date' was romantic and intense too. I watched them on Netflix with my mom.

Submitted by zarruk64 on Fri, 02/01/2019 - 18:43

I wuoldn't like to see this movie, because I trust in my friends and a friend told me "That movie is bad, I didn't like it" and I don't like drama movies. Recently I had seen the movie Aquaman and I liked that movie, but it was too long.

Submitted by JimmyAlejis_Muji on Fri, 02/01/2019 - 18:39

I really would like to watch the movie, it looks very interesting, I want to know what happens to Margot. Recently I had seen Pokemon Sun & Moon, Beyblade, Bakugan, Digimon and "solo".

Submitted by san36894 on Fri, 02/01/2019 - 18:21

I have already seen that movie and i think that the movie is very bad because it don't has many interesting things and has not a good plot in my opinion and the movie don't have many settings there were only a few of them and in my opinion the only interesting part was the end. I recomend seeing the movie of aquaman that was a cience fiction incredible story that is about the prince of tha lost city of Atlantis were his brother whants to destroy the world but he stop him

Submitted by lxycindy113 on Sun, 12/23/2018 - 11:42

This passage show a film that about a reality question.

Submitted by mariela on Wed, 10/24/2018 - 22:10

Artificial intelligence is one of the best cience fiction films. released in 2001, it stars Halley Joel Osmet as David who is a robot-boy and Brendan Gleeson in the role of Lord Johnson-Johnson, the villian in this film. The plot involves a flood produced by the global warming. The necessity of food produce that cybertronic's company make robots-children who can love to their adoptive families. can these families love them too? The film is set in the location of United States. The soundtrack includes the music performed by John Williams who won an award. The acting is impressed and Jude Law won a golden globe for the best actor in the film because his performance is excellent. I would highly recommend artificial intelligence, if you are a big fan of cience fiction films and the robots. I am pretty sure that you won't regreat of watch this film.
Profile picture for user MishMish

Submitted by MishMish on Mon, 09/06/2021 - 19:55

That's one of the best movies of 2000s that came out in the big screen. Unfortunately, I couldn't rewatch it because it's extra painful and I cried a lot. Though it left a great impact on me. And yes, John William's is one of the best composers of the contemporary music era.

In reply to by mariela

English courses near you