Music

What is wrong with Kanye West?

BethanyS

At the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs), Taylor Swift won the award for best music video by a female artist for her song, ‘You Belong With Me’.  Viewers across the globe were shocked when Kanye West interrupted Taylor’s speech to defend Beyoncé.  He insisted Beyoncé should have won the award for ‘Single Ladies’. 

Six years later, the world watched once again as Kanye interrupted an awards show.  Beck, who expected Beyoncé to win, won the Grammy for best album.  Unsurprisingly, Kanye believes that Beyoncé should have won and he even commented that Beck should give his award to her.  It is amazing that Kanye doesn’t understand the simple universal concept that you can’t always have what you want.  This time, Kanye’s temper tantrum barely interrupted the speech but we still have to ask: what is Kanye’s problem?

Kanye’s behaviour is rude and disrespectful, but furthermore it shows his arrogance.  He clearly believes other artists and their music are less important than himself, Beyoncé and his other celebrity friends.  He even declared that Beck is not a 'real artist' and was angry about the decision.  He feels that the award being given to an inferior artist is negative for music and art.  What is worse for music, however, is when artists cannot respect each other, their music or their accomplishments.

An additional and important issue with Mr. West’s behaviour is that it actually undermines Beyoncé.  Beyoncé writes and sings empowering songs about female independence.  If she wanted to comment, couldn’t she do that herself?  When she won an award at the VMAs in 2009, Beyoncé responded to Kanye’s outburst by allowing Taylor Swift the chance to finish her speech instead of giving her own.  When he decided to interrupt an awards show in her defence a second time, Beyoncé was actually seen saying 'not again'.  She seemed shocked by the behaviour and it is clearly not something she agrees with.  It is apparent that Kanye needs to stop rushing to her aid and let her handle it.

Kanye West seems unable to understand that one person’s success doesn’t always mean another’s failure.  Beyoncé doesn’t need another award to be a star, and she certainly doesn’t need Kanye West to defend her. 

What do you think about Kanye West’s behaviour? 

ThirishLawrence's picture
ThirishLawrence 2 February, 2020 - 14:48

So terrible!
Taylor Swift has just 17 years old, so she must be very shock. I can't understand his behaviour, that's is ''rude and disrespectful''. It’s no less than TS deserve! I love her music.
Kanye West is such a very bad guy!

gianggiang 6 November, 2015 - 14:15

It's hard to accept Kanye West's behavior.
I curious to know........Did the words "politeness" and " shame" exist in his own dictionary ?
In a new opinion, his behavior was " brave", but his courage wasn't used suitably.
I was quite impressive by the last sentence:"BY doesn't need KW to defend her", but once I read a magazine which had an article about Beyonce. Beyonce said that " Let your husband defend you if he wants, let him be your superman because action films has approved this" ~~~Oh, there is something opposite!

1 user has voted.
iva10 19 August, 2015 - 16:45

I isn't nice interupting people when they are talkink.Just because someone else won that doesn't mean that he hasn worked hard to acomplisch that.

1 user has voted.