Fashion

Ethical fashion: Can high street fashion be fair?

Emma Dixon

We live in a world addicted to so-called ‘fast fashion’ - and chances are, we’ve all been there. Whether it’s £3 pumps or a whole new outfit for under £50, big name brands such as Primark, H&M and Forever 21 are offering new and affordable ways of keeping up with fashion and adding to an ever-expanding wardrobe. But how often do we actually stop and think about how these products can possibly be so cheap? In other words: what is the real cost of fast fashion?

Big brands aim to get customers to buy their products, and one of the largest factors for many people when buying clothes is price; how cheap can I get what I’m looking for? Would this be cheaper somewhere else? It seems that quality is often taking a back seat to how much money we can save, especially in bad economic conditions. For instance, a Cambridge University report shows that in just 4 years, the amount of clothes bought rose by a third-despite the recession.

As a result of this, clothing firms need to get their production costs down as much as possible. The best way is to take advantage of low production costs in countries like China and Bangladesh. Here, factories don’t have the same health and safety standards that we’re used to in the Western world. Wages are notoriously low and employees work for long hours without breaks and in bad conditions. Therefore, the clothes, shoes and accessories that hang in our wardrobes can then be sold for a much lower price…and we rarely think about the people thousands of miles away who made them.

The fact is, most people just don’t have the money to buy ethically produced fashion, especially when they can buy a similar item somewhere else for a third of the price. It seems then that there has to be a change. Is there a way to produce ethical fashion but keep the price reasonable? According to H&M, there is.

The Swedish fashion giant has netted 412 million US dollars in profits so far this year and is known for its cheap fashion fixes. Recently however H&M has taken a bold move towards producing more ethical fashion for its customers. With more and more exposure of oversees sweatshops it seems the demand for fair but affordable fashion is gradually growing, but the supply unavailable. Is H&M therefore the brand to offer an ethical solution? The answer is somewhat of a grey area-but they certainly are changing.
The head of sustainability at H&M admits that ‘guaranteeing’ ethical fashion in their shops is harder than it seems. With loyal customers used to certain standards, the conditions in which to change are challenging. The brand is however heading in the direction of improving conditions abroad and has real goals they aim to achieve in the future. Just last month, a report showed that H&M used more organic cotton than any other high street group, and they aim for 100% of their products to be using this by 2020. In addition, the new ‘conscious collection’ uses organic and recycled materials to create a line of fashionable, affordable and fairly sourced clothes.

It is H&Ms 30-50 fashion collections per year though that is the real grey area. To produce so many different collections 100% ethically in a short period of time cannot be achieved overnight. The brand doesn’t own any of its factories abroad, and so they are able to distance themselves amid reports of bad conditions. Furthermore, communication about problems is often done via other people and companies, rather than H&M addressing problems such as fire safety worries and dirty factories directly.

They have been applauded, however, for their ambition. Unlike many other high street stores they have a clear vision in mind and aim for ethical fashion collections to grow over the years. In addition, the exposure of this problem isn’t set to stop. Next time you go shopping, why not look for fair fashion collections on the high street, head to a second hand shop-or even learn to sew and make some clothes at home?

Do you shop in H&M and Primark? Do you worry about whether your clothes are ethically produced? Do you have any good ideas for dressing fashionably and ethically without spending loads of money?

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 5 July, 2017 - 13:16

I don't shop much. Shopping is really annoying, and I shop only when it is necessary. I feel online shopping is much better, though it is not a good option for buying clothes. All my relatives love shopping, and I find it ridiculous when someone says that they're gonna spend the week shopping. Oh, god, I completely forgot! My mum said she had some shopping to do!!! Oh geez, I hope there's a good reason to make her forget it!!! :)))))

Rockyy's picture
Rockyy 30 August, 2014 - 11:17

I agree with Natalija she says true you don't have to pay too much money for cloths. Without too much money you can wear very good and look so smart. Then I love H&M but I don't wear from there so much. Generally I wear from Pull&Bear, Zara, Mango, Koton. And guys you can make your own clothes I think. For example you've got a t-shirt but it's old, you can't wear it. You can cut your t-shirt scissors! But don't cut your t-shirt all! Just cut part of it! Then wear it with basic shoulder straps!

justcricketforme 23 October, 2013 - 14:02

I don't really care about the brand just buy what's comfy or belongs to my favourite cricket team and football team!

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 26 August, 2013 - 10:08

I buy in New Yorker,Terranova,Pull&Bear and Berishka. I love those shops.And I don't buy in H&M,but I have some clothes of H&M from another country(Bosnia does not have H&M)!!!

Angelalala's picture
Angelalala 18 July, 2013 - 07:44

Shopping can make me excited!!!Both H&M and ZARA are my favorite.Is there anyone else love ZARA too?(^.^)

MALINE 1 May, 2013 - 03:06

you can look at your mother or granny´s wardrobe and you´ll be surpised by the items that you can find,fashion comes and goes....

Natalija 22 May, 2013 - 13:33

Yes, you're completely right, fashion is so changeable... I like my mother's clothes when she was 20, and it's still very fashioned.

Natalija 23 March, 2013 - 10:53

I can't shop in H&M in Serbia, because we still don't have this shop, but I'm looking forward to buy there in October, because it's going to open then. I buy at H&M when I am abroad and I think that they have very nice clothes.A brand is very important for me, but the most important is to feel great in your clothes. I prefer wearing clothes from Zara, Mango, Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen. I've recently bought some clothes at Roksanda Ilincic. She is the most respected Serbian designer and she has been designing for princess Kate and for other famous people. She designs original and beautiful clothes, and she isn't very expensive.
But of course that you can still look nice and beautiful in clothes that isn't so expensive, if you know to dress and to match colors. It's the most important to have a style. Without style, even if you wear Chanel and Burberry, you'll look cheap because you don't have any style. But if you have style, you can look attractive and nice without spending loads of money. That's my opinion.

Jona's picture
Jona 1 May, 2013 - 19:56

You're right.
PS-Your comment is so appropriate and true....It just sticked on my mind.

Natalija 9 May, 2013 - 18:54

Hi, Jona
Thanks for your reply:). What's your style of clothing? What clothes do you prefer?
<3

rina's picture
rina 5 June, 2013 - 11:26

Nice comment Albina.
I'm in the same mind with you.
I love wearing casual because I feel very comfortable and makes me feel good.And I love wearing H&M,its very comfortable.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 7 March, 2013 - 15:10

I like fashion but its not important to buy expensive clothes its important to feel good and comfortable with them....

Jona's picture
Jona 25 February, 2013 - 20:46

So do I.I create fashion and I do have style.That what me&you and everyone else who has style fashionistas.

Ilda G's picture
Ilda G 30 January, 2013 - 17:21

It is not important to wear expensive clothes.the most important thing is to feel good with your clothes

lorni.lata's picture
lorni.lata 29 January, 2013 - 17:51

I really love shopping! Unfortunately we dont have marks like Primark or H&M in Albania,however i still love scrolling down their website page

Emma Dixon's picture
Emma Dixon 20 December, 2012 - 15:00

Hi! You guys are right...H&M is really inexpensive and a great place to shop. I have lots of clothes from there too! Now, they also have the 'concious collection' which I talked about in my article. This means you can still buy clothes that are fashionable and quite cheap, but are also sourced more fairly, meaning the people who make them get a better standard of life. It's 'win, win'!