Fashion

Saturday, 5 October, 2013 - 10:28

London Fashion Week

by AnnaM

A little bit of background to begin with, Fashion Weeks are basically a chance for designers to promote and showcase their latest designs and show people what’s ‘in’ and what’s ‘out’. There are four major Fashion Weeks that take place in the four fashion capitals: New York City, London, Paris and Milan.

The London Fashion Week has just finished its events at Somerset House and all the journalists and designers have moved on to Paris to exhibit their Winter Collections! Finally, London has a chance to breathe again after the rush of tourists during the summer and the globetrotting ‘fashionistas’ of the autumn. Every Londoner always knows when the Fashion Week is about to start because huge banners are draped over wires on both Oxford and Regent Street! The general public now knows that a new wave of wearable fashion will hit the high street shops in just a few weeks’ time.

Of course, a Fashion Week is not just a platform for designers to showcase their works but it is also a place for celebrities to gather together, make appearances and show that they are interested in staying up to date on the latest trends. For example, at London Fashion Week, Victoria Beckham, Sienna Miller and Harry Styles were all seen at several catwalk shows. A-listers like these are always seen on ‘The Front Row’! Notably, London Fashion Week can pride itself on even attracting a royal presence: Prince Charles himself opened the Menswear Fashion Week!

Fashion plays the central role of the Week and several trends have appeared for this season. For menswear, think tropical. Think Hawaii. Shirts with the edgy 70s print are sure to make a comeback this season. On the female side, the skirt has replaced the dress and trousers have been substituted for leg warmers. Expect a more muted down version of the runway outfits to appear in the shops, however, in order to allow for more practical and comfortable clothes.

However, it’s very important to separate fashion and style. You may not follow a single trend yet have genuine style. In the same way, following fashion obsessively doesn’t make you stylish. It’s all about mixing things up! There’s no need to retire your favourite pumps just because this season is all about the chunky boot. Remember to choose iconic pieces that fit the rest of your wardrobe.

Are you interested in fashion? Would you like to go to a fashion show? 

Submitted by thaoyen258 on Fri, 06/19/2020 - 08:39

Actually, I have never been to a fashion show. I'm not interested in fashion because I prefer to dress comfortably rather than trendy.

Submitted by thuchien on Thu, 06/18/2020 - 01:01

Actually, I'm not interested in fashion so I don't think I will go to any fashion show
English courses near you