Fashion

Friday, 23 June, 2017 - 14:50

Make your own clothing

by EllenBlogger

It’s funny nowadays. Everybody buys their clothes. It’s not ‘cool’ to knit or sew your own any more and crafts like this are seen as a very old skill. They are seen as women’s hobbies and skills and it isn’t often that you find men doing crafts like this as a hobby, which is completely silly, as some of the world’s best designers are men!

Both my dad and grandad tried knitting once. Their wool came out as a triangle because they dropped stitches and held the wool too tight. Dad watches us knit and tells us that he thinks it is magic. He made me think the other day by wondering how many thousands of years ago a fisherman or someone working in trade just decided to pick up a bit of string and two sticks and start making knots and voilà ... knitting was born!

My mum is brilliant at sewing and knitting and I’ve decided that I want to learn to sew better. We’ll both sit there and watch television in the evening and knit jumpers. The more you practise, the better you get, but I find sewing a bit more difficult as the pattern contains lots of specific language that I don’t quite understand yet and I’m scared of doing it wrong. You also need a lot of surface space to cut the patterns out and with my family, something almost always gets moved across the room by accident, or into another room entirely!

I walked into the fabric shop the other day to pick up some fabric and a pattern and was amazed that I could find the pattern online and could watch a YouTube video to show me how to make my dress! The best thing is that you can start off with really simple designs and make small and easy items of clothing first and work your way up. It’s not difficult if you can follow a pattern and are careful with how you cut the fabric and sew it together. Plus, you can make a dress exactly how you want it and make it fit perfectly!

Language level

Can you knit or sew? Do you enjoy it? Do you think it's better to buy clothes in shops or make them at home?

Submitted by HKPILOT_Tony on Fri, 09/16/2022 - 17:49

I don’t know how to sew or knits, I will enjoy it if I will sew or knits, I think sew or knits clothes absolutely can instead of buy clothes in shops
Profile picture for user FernyForLanguages

Submitted by FernyForLanguages on Wed, 10/06/2021 - 23:05

It depends, because if you have an idea in your brain, you can´t buy something like that in a store, so I think is better to do your clothes :) Mariana, 16 years old, México
Profile picture for user RosenSindSchwarz29

Submitted by RosenSindSchwarz29 on Fri, 01/22/2021 - 12:26

Can you knit or sew? - Yes, both. Do you enjoy it? - Of course. I very like sewing. I've machine, too. I made to myself lots of different clothes. They look great. Do you think it's better to buy clothes in shops or make them at home? Better is if you make clothes at home, bcs you can chose a colour, dress cut, and you enjoy making clothes your own. You're proud on yourself.

Submitted by hermione123 on Tue, 07/06/2021 - 12:47

It must be a lot of fun to make your own clothes:)

In reply to by RosenSindSchwarz29

Profile picture for user ThirishLawrence

Submitted by ThirishLawrence on Tue, 07/16/2019 - 09:37

I can knit some simple items like scarf, gloves, socks. But knit or sew clothes like blouse, shirt, skirt, jacket,etc. is really difficult for me. I think make my own clothing is interesting, economical and kill time,too(^v^) After reading this blog, I will learn how to make my own clothing. How about you?Let comment and share with me and everyone! P/S: Say THANKS to EllenBlogger!
Profile picture for user Genius_Girl

Submitted by Genius_Girl on Thu, 05/09/2019 - 17:25

Do you think it's better to buy clothes in shops or make them at home? I don't know how to knit or sew. I'd like to try! Well, in my opinion, I think it's better to make clothes at home, the money is saving because the rich or poor people don't have to waste money on clothes that are expensive.

Submitted by Roslin on Sun, 04/14/2019 - 13:30

I don’t know how to knit or sew but I enjoy to watch people who is doing it. I think it's better to buy clothes in shops because it’s hard to make them at home. Some day in future, I’ll learn to knit or sew.
English courses near you