The attraction of foreign lands

18
JohnM

I love going on holiday, especially going abroad – I mean, don’t we all? Italy, France, Spain, Russia… whether it’s a train journey through the countryside or a visit to a beautiful city, there’s always going to be something new to see and somewhere interesting to visit. It’s an adventure. And that’s why we love to travel – the planning, the preparation, the shopping… it’s all part of this exciting process that distracts us from reality. We book the flights, mark our calendars and then impatiently count down the days until we fly off to foreign land. We love going on holiday and we love going abroad. But why do we love going abroad so much?

Spain, for example, is full of tourists from all over the world. The sun, sea and clean beaches attract so many foreign visitors – especially British people – whose main reason for going abroad is normally the weather. When our friends tell us that they are going on holiday, we want to go too. We are mainly jealous because we never have much sunshine in Britain; the winters are very cold and the springs are very wet, so in the summer we go to countries like Spain to really make the most of the warmer climate.

Spain is such a popular holiday destination for British people. As well as the weather, the relaxed atmosphere and nightlife are very appealing. For example, we love being able to socialise and party until the early hours of the morning. Spanish holiday resorts are therefore very popular and thrive in the summer. British families love the familiar atmosphere, the familiar environment, and the familiar foods; that there are pubs and takeaway restaurants almost everywhere you go; and that the entertainment provides its audience with the particular humour of Britain. Yes, many British people go on holiday to Spain and have a great time. But unfortunately, not everyone actually experiences Spain because it adapts so much to cater for the typical British holiday-maker.

But then, two months ago I moved to Spain. In Scotland, because I’m studying Spanish, I must spend a year in Spain before continuing with my studies. And now I live in Seville, working as an English language assistant in a school. I have my very own crazy and exciting adventure, and it’s a fantastic opportunity. Yet it still doesn’t feel real – I mean, I did the planning, the preparation, the shopping, and I even counted down the days on my calendar. But this isn’t just a two-week holiday in the summer. I live abroad now.

Yes, many foreigners come to Spain for the sun, sea and sand, but here, right in the heart of Andalusia, is a beautiful city rich in culture and history. Seville is undoubtedly foreign - the palm trees, the fountains, the lively streets and the gothic cathedral are all new for many British visitors. I think there is something very intriguing about Seville. We are captivated by its alluring charm; we want to explore it and discover its secrets. And it’s definitely full of new and interesting things – living here really is a refreshing change. However, while I’ve traded fish and chips for tapas, miserable weather for sunshine, and the angry ocean waves for the calm Guadalquivir River, I think I’ll always be brought back to my town in Scotland. It’s my home – yes, the winters are very cold and the springs are very wet, but this is what I’m used to. For me, Spain will always be somewhat foreign. But that’s exactly what makes it so attractive and exciting. Spain is my adventure.

Everyone is different. We all have different tastes and interests, so we all have different reasons for going abroad… and whether it's to relax on the beach, explore a new culture, or even learn a language, the world has something for everyone. Going abroad is a wonderful opportunity to visit so many new places and see so many interesting things – foreign things – and all of these help us to escape the daily routine at home. Yes, we are all different; but no matter where we go or what we do, we always embrace the adventure. We really do love going abroad. And in the end, we all fall for the world of the exotic.

Why do you think people love going abroad so much? Would you like to live abroad?

youaretheonlyone29's picture
youaretheonlyone29 9 May, 2016 - 14:36

My country is fantastic with perfect weather (sometimes, it maybe really hot) and beautiful scenery but I'd love to live abroad. If i could stay in Canada or Netherlands, that would be amazing :)) I think that I'm too young for getting away without family (14 years old) =))))))

dzeni 5 March, 2014 - 16:39

Yes, I would. I think people love going abroad because it is interesting to learn something about other cultures, travel and meet different people and visit famous places.

te-ufo's picture
te-ufo 27 May, 2013 - 13:35

I am from the Czech republick and I agree, that home is home, but I love traveling abroud. I like going to Slovakia, UK, Hungary (I had to speak English there).

JohnM's picture
JohnM 9 June, 2013 - 18:46

Going abroad is perfect for practising a foreign language.
Thanks for commenting!

writer's picture
writer 7 April, 2013 - 19:26

I think that it is just a certain age in our life when we like to experience new things and meet new people.As far as i'm concerned ,I always want to go to somewhere new ,to start from the begining ,but I can't say that this makes me feel good.Actually ,I'm always searching for something that I don't have and happiness feels so far away.I dream of living in England ,France even in Australia .I'm just bored of anyone I know.

JohnM's picture
JohnM 8 April, 2013 - 17:01

I must admit that I find change difficult but I know that it can be a good thing too. Living in Spain for a year wasn't always easy but I discovered so much. I'm glad I did it. Sometimes you just need a push.

I hope you manage to fulfil your dreams of living abroad. Thanks for commenting :)

Elora98's picture
Elora98 2 April, 2013 - 18:26

My country is superb!But still people like living abroad.Can't say why.But I won't leave my country.

JohnM's picture
JohnM 3 April, 2013 - 15:33

Where are you from?
I love my country as well, although I also enjoyed living in Spain. Every country is different :)
Thanks for commenting!

ronaldostar's picture
ronaldostar 23 March, 2013 - 20:29

all like going aboard because are bored in their place and they like going abroad to feel relaxed , i love living abroad in jamaica for example .

Natalija 19 March, 2013 - 15:53

I think that people like changes and that's why they like going abroad. I changed my home so many times. I lived in France, Spain, Turkey and Serbia. Serbia is my home country, but I'd like to live in England in the future. I am moving to England in two years and I am really looking forward to living there.

JohnM's picture
JohnM 21 March, 2013 - 15:03

Thanks for sharing! I lived in Spain last year but I now live in France - very different experiences :)

MALINE 9 March, 2013 - 03:09

I love my Country it has everything you can think of ; beaches,rain forest,deserts and mostly the food it´s amazing!!!!!!!!

Flo Gert's picture
Flo Gert 5 February, 2013 - 10:27

I love living in my country, even Albania does not offer to many places to have some fun. But the years are passing and we are getting better...

Demy's picture
Demy 1 January, 2013 - 20:27

I am from Ukraine.I like my country.But I do'nt know exactly what will happen in the future.I'm too young to tell definitely)In my country, a lot of people going abroad for earnings and forever.I think a similar situation in many countries...
But if it were necessary,I would choose Greece,Spain,Cyprus and Italy.Why?Because I like their culture and lifestyle.Alse I like England and Germany.Because it is probably the most famous European countries and i would like to study there.
But now I do'nt want to leave Ukraine forever.Because anyhow:''East or West, Home is best!''

Demy's picture
Demy 24 February, 2013 - 07:55

Thanks for advice John Moran) Me too I like Spain!!! I think there is interesting and very warm atmosphere. And I would like to study Spanish. And I forgot to say thank you for this wonderful article about this wonderful country!!!