The British summer

EleanorC

Britain is well known for its rainy climate. People joke that even in the summer time the country never gets any sun and that the skies stay disappointingly grey even during the months of July and August.

Last summer though, it was so hot that people could hardly believe it. British people weren’t used to such high temperatures, so every day on the news there were stories about people struggling to work in such unusual weather conditions. The newsreaders also reminded everyone to keep hydrated and not to spend too long in the sun.

When the sun comes out, British people tend to spend time in their garden if they have one. It’s common to invite friends and neighbours round for a barbecue, where everyone sits outside and eats food like grilled meat and salads. There’s always a back-up plan in case of rain though and the meal sometimes has to be cooked in the kitchen and eaten indoors.

People also spend a lot of time in parks during the summer, having picnics or playing sports like football or frisbee. In every green area, there’s always at least one ice cream van, a kind of car that plays children’s music and sells ice cream cones or lollies. 

Towns like Blackpool and Brighton are popular for their beaches and amusement arcades. People go there to swim, sunbathe and eat fish and chips. Apparently, the water can be quite cold so quite a lot of Brits prefer to go abroad for their summer holiday instead. Popular destinations include Spain, Germany and France: all countries that promise a lot of sunshine! 

What's summer like in your country? Do you have any holiday plans for the months of July and August?

iva10 15 June, 2015 - 10:15

On the summer I usually go on the sea or I go in our willage. I have plans for July and August.

hanies1904's picture
hanies1904 26 October, 2014 - 02:36

In Vietnam, there are only 2 seasons. They are dry season and rainy season. So I don't have summer but in those days it's cool because it's in rainy season. In July, I go swimming and go to English, Math and Chemistry class. Sometimes, I go to my grandparents' house. In August, I review the lessons I've learned in last year to ready for the this year.

chaunguyen_cn's picture
chaunguyen_cn 17 August, 2014 - 13:05

In the summer, my country is very hot. Yes, very hot.! Although It's rain season, the sunshine is hot. In July and August, I usually swim, sometimes I go to the park with my friends, and sometimes I have a picnic.

sararosita's picture
sararosita 12 August, 2014 - 22:50

In my country the summer is hot but not in all regions ; in morocco ;every region is known by its special weather because we have the beach ; mountains ; sahara .... so you can enjoy your holidays by visiting different regions but unfortunately i dont have any plan for this month i will stay at home all time watching tv and surfing on the net also reading books ..

Dia's picture
Dia 24 June, 2014 - 20:02

In my country the summer is hot. I have the holiday plans in August ....I will go in Spain at the "Fiesta" with my sister....I hope will have a lot of fun ! :)

YAS's picture
YAS 18 June, 2014 - 17:48

hi Fatime143 i think you mean " i have no plans for august" or " i haven't got any plans for august"
what do you think ? :))