Celebrating Christmas

JessicaW

Another year is coming to a close but that can only mean that it is time for Christmas and all the celebrations that come with it. I absolutely love Christmas time - seeing friends and family, enjoying each other's company, exchanging gifts, and eating much more than you would normally eat at any other time of the year! (I know I do anyway!) Although I love living abroad, as Christmas approaches, I have suddenly begun to feel very far away from my family as they put up the Christmas tree, wrap presents and bake traditional Christmas food without me.

One thing I really miss are mince pies. I don't know if you've ever tried one, but they are little pastry tarts full of a delicious filling called 'mince meat'. Despite sounding savoury (and in the past it was!), this filling is sweet and made of chopped dried fruits, spices and usually a drop of alcohol such as rum or brandy. When eaten warm straight from the oven, they are heavenly. When I was little, I used to bake them with my mum every Christmas and it has now become a tradition that we do each year together. Being away in France where I am unable to find mince pies or the ingredients to make them, I am feeling slightly envious of all the baking that my family are doing! The traditional Christmas meal we have in England is also a real treat - it normally consists of turkey, roast potatoes, vegetables, gravy (a brown sauce which is very tasty!) and my personal favourite, 'pigs-in-blankets' which are sausages wrapped in bacon! I love the atmosphere of the whole family around the table, sharing this delicious (and enormous!) meal, whilst wearing silly paper hats and pulling crackers. The thought puts a smile on my face already! 

Another aspect of Christmas that I love, is the music. My little sister and I are always the first to try and put on the Christmas songs, and love singing along to 'Jingle Bells' and 'Frosty the Snowman'. If you haven't heard these songs before, see if you can find them online and have a listen! I am now really looking forward to heading back to England at the end of next week - please save some mince pies for me, Mum! I hope you all enjoy the end of year festivities in whichever way you will be celebrating them - I would love to hear how it differs from the English way!

How do you celebrate Christmas? What festive foods do you enjoy at this time of year?

cklj's picture
cklj 29 November, 2015 - 19:41

Christmas is one of the most important holidays. I love Christmas. It's the perfect time of the year because that time we're on a winter break, it's cold outside, so you must stay at home and spend amazing times with your family. On the night before Christmas (which is called Badnik in my country) we have a fish, potatoes, a special bread with coin in it and something sweet. On Christmas we usually eat meat, which my mum prepares with lots of love.

MALINE 21 July, 2014 - 00:35

My favorite food for Christmas is "ponche",well I should say beverage,it´s a drink which includes lots of different fuits like guavas,apple,tamarindo,cane,cinammon,sugar,"tejocotes"and prunes. It is very tasty and in winter it warms you up.

NMemmedova's picture
NMemmedova 7 July, 2014 - 19:11

I am muslim...and i don`t celebrate christmas...but we celebrate New Year and Azerbaijan holiday :)...
İ love Azerbaijan Holiday.. :) :*

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 26 December, 2013 - 18:13

I am a muslim, so I don't celebrate christmas. But I celebrate New Year.In Albania we have as a traditiond cooking : turkey and "bakllava"(which is a traditional dessert that comes from Turkey).
Thank you America for giving turkey to the world!!!!!!!!!!!!
The most beautiful part of this day is that people forget their worries and just have fun.

justcricketforme 20 December, 2013 - 05:12

No, i don't celebrate chrismas cause i'm a muslim but new year is always fun! My BFF and I decorate a tree, just for fun and enjoy the fireworks and crackers. It's fun. We stand in the balconey sipping coffee and enjoying fireworks and crackers. Last year we saw fireworks which formed into 2012. Can't wait for New Year. Just I wish it would snow in Islamabad like it does on the hills.

ellen's picture
ellen 13 December, 2013 - 13:42

New Year is one of most favorite holidays for people of the whole world. Millions of residents all over the world celebrate this holiday on the night of 31 December to 1 January. Azerbaijan began celebrating New Year with the advent of the first Russian settlers, besides the Azerbaijani residents, professing Christianity and Catholicism, have been celebrating New Year through many centuries.The Azerbaijanis are very hospitable people, that is why the majority of the country’s residents celebrate this holiday in the bosom of close relatives and friends. The table is served always with traditional national dishes and naturally with wine. Before the clock sings out the Baku residents come out into the street to watch traditional New Year firework. 1 January is an official public day in Azerbaijan.

JessicaW's picture
JessicaW 14 December, 2013 - 14:40

Wow, this is really interesting Ellen, thanks for commenting! In England we also celebrate New Year with fireworks and lots of wine! It's one of my favourite nights of the year too. I love that family, friends and even strangers join together to celebrate the New Year all together - it creates a lovely atmosphere. Enjoy the end of year festivites!

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 11 December, 2013 - 19:25

I really dont celebrate christmas cause I am myslym but i celebrate new year with fireworks,gifts and so many delicious foods.......

JessicaW's picture
JessicaW 12 December, 2013 - 09:19

That's sounds fantastic, I love New Year too! What sort of foods do you eat during your New Year celebrations Rehina?