Christmas Day in the UK

15
LaurenS

December is here and many people are starting to think about Christmas. In some places preparations for Christmas such as displays in shops and lights in the streets start as early as October! I am living in Spain at the moment, last year I spent Christmas in Finland and this year I will be spending Christmas with my family in the UK. It is very interesting to experience the different traditions in different countries during Christmas time.

In my family, we usually get up very early on Christmas day and open our presents. My mother likes French food, so we have a French style breakfast with bread, croissants and lots of different cheeses. Then we have fun with our new presents whilst preparing the roast dinner for the evening, which includes meat, roast vegetables and gravy. For dessert we have mince pies, Christmas pudding or a yule log. After dinner we finish Christmas day by playing fun games together.

Some people go to church at Christmas and I go on my own because I am the only Christian in my family. At church I celebrate with my friends and sing carols. Christingles are an old Christian tradition that children can make in some churches in England and Germany during Christmas. It starts with an orange which represents the world; then a red ribbon for the blood of Jesus, 4 cocktails sticks as the 4 seasons, sweets as God's gift to the world and finally a candle for Jesus as the light of the world.

Sometimes it can be difficult to remember the meaning of Christmas. Many of us think about how many presents we will get and if they will be better than last year. Some people think that if they have lots of expensive things then people will think they are very important and this makes them happy. However, not everybody can have lots of things, especially people in poor countries. A very important part of Christmas is giving presents and it can feel very good to give a special present to someone who really appreciates it. One nice thing to do is to send a small box of presents to children in poor countries who don’t normally get many presents. Find more information on this website: http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk/landing.asp. What is most important at Christmas is that your life is full of love and happiness shared with your family and friends.

Do you celebrate Christmas? If so, tell us how you spend your Christmas Day. 

Mikyaleee's picture
Mikyaleee 4 August, 2015 - 15:43

i never celebrate christmas day at my whole life because i'm not a christian but i'd like christmas cake, very delicious.....

linhcool's picture
linhcool 31 December, 2013 - 03:28

hi everyone ,I'm VietNamese and I don't celebrate Christmas, I don't have religion, but I can feel exciting and happy atmosphere, HAPPY NEW YEAR

engleskigaga's picture
engleskigaga 24 December, 2013 - 13:09

I live in Montenegro. My family always celebrate New Year and Christmas.
I buy presents and I have presents. This is so good. Christmas is the most beautiful day . I love Christmas.
In New Year I want good marks. This site is so good ! In New Year 2014 I think this site will be the most better site and most important for our English.
Happy Christmas for Jo Editor ! And for all people who make this site!
Good New Year !

Jonathan - Coor... 24 December, 2013 - 21:12

Hi engleskigaga and thanks so much for your kind comments about our site. We also wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :) :) :)

engleskigaga's picture
engleskigaga 25 December, 2013 - 14:07

Thanks so much!
I am very proud because I have got very good friends around the world.
I can not talk or to meet friends around the world, now I use this site and learn English and meet friends around the world.
Thanks Jonathan and happy Christmas for you and your family too.
Thank you for nice comment, you are very good friend.

lusta's picture
lusta 21 December, 2013 - 19:05

I live in Russia.
My family always celebrate New Year and Christmas.
I buy presents for my friends and parents. I like it.
We celebrate New Year 31 December and Christmas 7 January.
It's magic time.

melisa's picture
melisa 18 December, 2013 - 15:30

I celebrate Christmas. In our country we have to have on the Christmas dinner 12 dishes with no meat. I like meat, but in spite of this, Christmas dinner is excellent. Also, on the Christmas dinner we have to have a drink - uzvar...

Niluh 18 December, 2013 - 12:23

An interesting article! I don't celebrate Christmas but I do agree with Lauren, it doesn't matter what you get in Christmas, the important thing is share happiness to others.

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 17 December, 2013 - 16:37

No, I don't celebrate Christmas, because I'm Muslim. Happy Christmas for everyone who celebrate it.

LaurenS's picture
LaurenS 24 December, 2013 - 10:12

There are lots of Christians and Muslims living where I am and the city celebrates Eid and Christmas. It's very interesting!