Coping with exam stress

Bethan Morgan

It has suddenly hit me that this year I will sit my last ever exams. I don’t know if that has helped with the stress, or just made it worse.

I have always struggled with the stress of exams, and the horrible nervousness that happens on the day itself. Even if I have revised as much as possible, my nerves still take over. And I know I’m not the only one. So I’ve made a list of a few of my personal tips for dealing with exam stress.

1. Keep calm and drink tea.

Or coffee. Or water. Or whatever it is you like to drink. It provides a quick break, so you can just stop for a second while the kettle is boiling and think about something different for a couple of minutes. Although perhaps I should cut down on the amount of tea I make, otherwise my whole day will be one big revision break!

2. Socialise!

I find that it’s really easy to shut yourself away for hours on end, going over your notes by yourself and not see anyone all day. That’s fine for a short amount of time, especially if that’s how you revise best, but I think it’s equally as important to make sure you spend time with other people too, whether you revise together or simply meet up for a chat. I’ve realised this year that when we all graduate, it is unlikely that we will see each other much, so I’m definitely making the most of seeing as many friends as possible now!

3. Exercise.

As I said in my last article, I love running. I find that it makes a perfect revision break because you can focus on something else for an hour or so. You can listen to some great music or even socialise, if you prefer exercising with someone else. You get to spend time outside in the fresh air, which helps your brain recover from all those hours of studying. Plus, it’s good for you, which is always a bonus!

4. Sharing is caring.

Sometimes it helps to get together with other people taking the same exams as you to share ideas and talk things over, especially if there is a certain aspect you are struggling with. You can make sure that you understand everything properly, as well as picking up new ideas that maybe you hadn’t thought of before. And it means you get to spend extra time with your friends, too!

Everyone has their own ways of coping with exam time, or maybe you don’t suffer from stress (in which case I am very jealous!). I’ll definitely be sticking to the tips above this year, and perhaps you could share your advice with us all too. If any of you are sitting exams this year, I wish you the best of luck! 

Do you have any tips to add to this list? What do you like to do during your exam time?

Natalija 25 May, 2013 - 19:08

Yes, I agree with you. What's better than the nature to make us feeling better? :)

Jelena010394's picture
Jelena010394 19 May, 2013 - 07:25

These tips are really good...................................gonna try these this year

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 23 May, 2013 - 09:23

Hi Stela.M and ellen,
I have just sent you both emails. Please read your email and let me know if you have any questions or problems. We want everyone to feel safe and happy on LearnEnglish Teens. Nobody should feel bothered by other users. The moderators on the website check each and every comment to keep you all safe. Read the message I sent and please reply to me directly. OK?
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Website Editor)

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 23 May, 2013 - 16:13

hi jo....thank you...ellen is one of my best friends on this site but she 's bothering me a bit.........i hope we haven't caused u problems.....i feel so sorry that i'm bothring you as well.....sorryyyyy again .....!!!!

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 25 May, 2013 - 11:13

Hi Stela.M,
Don't worry. If you have any problems or you ever feel bothered by other users do tell us. You can do this in a comment on use the Contact Us link at the bottom of each page. OK? We want all our users to feel happy and comfortable on our site. Remember that we read every comment before it's published. Best wishes, Jo. (LearnEnglish Teens Editor)

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 25 May, 2013 - 14:47

hi again jo..THANK YOU.........i feel released now......i hope i haven't caused you any problems.....i feel like i'm guilty again.......;(

June's picture
June 21 May, 2013 - 11:37

Calm down. Maybe she just wants to make friend with you. And Ellen, stop asking those questions. You are scaring everyone!

ellen's picture
ellen 17 May, 2013 - 18:07

Stela.M
How are you?
can you tell me about your hobbies? What do you like to make when you have free time?
What English songs do you like? And movies? Please answer.....)))))

Daoud's picture
Daoud 14 May, 2013 - 15:24

I liked your tips and the best was the third one this year I'm exercicing and it helped me in my Exams because you will facus on other things for some minuts and it is good for your health
But I don't like revising in group because you might spend your time talking about some movies,series..... And that is not good for the rivision.
When the exam is near I like pray to gad and ask him for help and makes me feel like I am not alone so i can concentrate more and more.

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 15 May, 2013 - 15:02

I agree, sometimes when you revise with other people it is easy to talk about other things, especially if you haven't seen them for a long time. But if you stay focussed and talk about the subject it can be very helpful :)

Natalija 15 May, 2013 - 13:31

Hey, Daoud
I pray too sometimes, and it actually helps me a great deal. As you said, it makes us feel not alone. Where're you from? How old are you?

Natalija 14 May, 2013 - 14:08

Hey, June
What kind of exam will you be doing the next month? I know, it makes you feel nervous, and I felt the same. You can't pretend you're cool, although there're some kids who do that. Just relax, study and don't think about it. Anyway, I wish yo good luck and to enter the high school you like.:)

June's picture
June 15 May, 2013 - 03:01

Hi Something nice,
Thanks for your advice. In my country, high schools are divided into many types, which depends on the quality of those schools. If we want to study in a nice high school, we have to get very high grades in this exam. What about getting bad grades? We'll study in the school where is only for bad and naughty students. In general, when we go to that school, our studying result will get worse and worse. There are 5 subjects that I have to pass: Literature, Math, Physics, English (easy) and English (advanced).
What about your country?

Natalija 15 May, 2013 - 13:29

Hey, June,
Thanks for telling me more about the exams in your country. It's similar to the exams in mine. We have eight grades of a primary school, and after that, we have an exam which contains from a test in maths and a test in Serbian language. We can get 40 points at exams, and 60 for our grades. But this system will be changed in the near future, and teens will have to study 5 subjects for the final exam-Serbian language, physics, maths, chemistry and history/biology/geography. If you have good grades, you can enter the good high school. Medicine high school and Economic high school are the most popular among teens here. I'm attending Gymnasium, and I think it has the best education, since after that high school we can basically enter whatever university we want, and those teens who were attending other school later find it difficult to make it at university, since they don't study as hard as we at Gymnasium.
Do you speak any other language except English and your native language? What language is spoken in your country?

June's picture
June 16 May, 2013 - 09:30

No, I only speak Vietnamese - my native language and sometimes speak English in class. I would like to learn another language and the truth is I learned Spanish and French by myself! I quit now because I've thought they're too difficult, too complicated. English is much easier.

Lavender 18 May, 2013 - 16:17

@June: Your English is good, especially a high school-to-be like you! I'd gone through the exam you're facing before. You know, I was so worried that I had the intention to change the school which had chosen. But my parents encouraged me not to do that. At last, I succeeded :)) June, Just believe in yourself. I think you can do it well :) And no matter which school you're going to attend in the future, you'll definitely find your good friends there. You will have a great, unforgettable time in high school. I'M SURE. Good luck!

June's picture
June 19 May, 2013 - 11:26

Thanks. But I don't think I'll find good friends. I mean they are not bad but they are too different from me. They love going shopping, wandering, taking pictures, dancing, beautifying but I don't.
Where are you from? How old are you?

Lavender 20 May, 2013 - 04:38

@June: I totally understand what you said, because I used to feel the same :( When I was in 10th grade, it seemed like I had no difficulty in making friends. Even so, the "real" ones who I'm happy to be with them I just had 2. Then in 11th I had to move to a new school in a big city. OMG at first it was something like a disaster for me. When I tried to talk to my classmates, I found that I had the lack of knowledge of what they were interested in (fashions, restaurants, shops, bars, etc). At that time, I thought I couldn't had friends there, I just wanted to get back to my 2 precious friends. But eventually and luckily I found 2 girls, they are the type I never imagine I can ever play with. Till now we don't know how, don't know when, don't know why we become intimate friends. We just know we feel comfortable and we can be who we are when we're together. That's enough. It turns out that having some friends "opposite" to me brings a new, interesting experience. Like I help them with their study and they guide me to make up, kind of that :) I'm still who I am. And to my classmates, I finally found a topic to chat with them : about celebs! Hmm I'm not an expert in relationships, I just share my story to you, hope that will help!. I know it is literally hard to find friends, especially who we can rely on. That's why I'm afraid of losing this friendship because we're about to attend a university, that means we can not meet regularly any more. I also hope I will have the luck with finding friends as I did before. And good luck to you too. Your classmates can not be your best friends but they're still your friends, who you meet everyday and spend time with them in one class till the end of school year. Enjoy ;-)
By the way, I live in Ho Chi Minh City. Nice to talk to you :)))

Amigo110's picture
Amigo110 24 June, 2013 - 03:04

Hi Lavender!
I'm living in Ha Noi..I like ur comments..How old are u? I really want to chat with you?

Lavender 28 June, 2013 - 04:14

Hello Amigo, I live in Ho Chi Minh City. I'm in high school. Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad to find a Vietnamese here.... Have you ever been to HCMC?

Natalija 16 May, 2013 - 16:02

I speak French and Spanish, since I lived there for a while. I'm learning Arabic by myself at the moment, and it's very difficult, but I hope I'll learn it. I'd like to learn German. I'll visit Austria this year, so I need the knowledge of German to be able to make myself understood.

Lavender 22 May, 2013 - 03:11

Thank you for your kind words :) You are right, learning languages is so interesting. I'm learning Chinese besides English :)

Lavender 18 May, 2013 - 14:11

@Some thing nice: Wow just studying English for TOEFL makes me exhausting. I really admire you. I like to study foreign languages because I prefer to talk to foreigners in their mother tongue. :)))

Natalija 20 May, 2013 - 16:50

Hi, Lavander:)
I also like talking to foreigners in their mother tongue and I think that knowledge of any language can be valuable. By the way, I want to tell you that your English is great, I have no doubts you'll pass TOEFL. I'm preparing myself for IELTS test.
:)

June's picture
June 14 May, 2013 - 10:17

I think if any people don’t suffer from stress, they must come from the heaven! Or maybe they don't care for the exam (like some of my friends).
To tell the truth, I don't have any tips. I just study hard for my exam and then I tell myself that: "You have prepared very well. Now, go!". I must admit that sometimes this "tip" doesn't work effectively and I'm still trying to find a new tip. ><
I will have a very important exam next month. It will decides what high school I will go to. I'm really nervous now but I know it's necessary for me to calm down and cope with exam stress.

Sky Blue's picture
Sky Blue 14 May, 2013 - 04:13

i think if we do with that ways we don not have enough time to review. but we do not feel tired

ellen's picture
ellen 10 May, 2013 - 17:45

ooooooooooooooooooo
Stela.M
I dont remeber you?
Certanly, you my site friennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd.
What about you?
Do you prefer to work indoors?
Do you like talking to people?
Do you prefer to work alone?
Have you been any country?
Please aswering my questions,★♫ღ•●♥♥ **

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 16 May, 2013 - 20:20

seriously.............are u kidding me? you have such a "good " memory.......you know so much about me.and you don't remember it.....well i'm a bit tired to repeat them again.if you want ,you can read our conversations and answer your questions by yourself............!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MEAN..........YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 9 May, 2013 - 19:51

ellennnnnn........don't you remember me? i'm stela ......you should remember our conversations here

ellen's picture
ellen 8 May, 2013 - 18:00

Hello Stela.M.
How are you my friend?
.Do you like to travel?
Do you prefer to work indoors?
Do you like talking to people?
Do you prefer to work alone?
Have you been any country?
please
Are you energetic?

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 5 May, 2013 - 15:07

hi ellen.i'm glad we are talking again.....i'm fine !! what about you? i really miss our conversations ...i hope we keep talking again cause you 're such a good friend ... love stela

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 29 April, 2013 - 19:28

hey everyone.....i always sleep less than 5 hours and i'm always so tired....i study hard for my exams and i don't have time to sleep.my advice for you would be:sleep,eat healthy food and repeat the lessons before an exam.these are the most important things......of course.....if you want to take good marks!!! :)

Hanna's picture
Hanna 26 April, 2013 - 18:55

I will take my school exams at the end of May. And than I will have independent testing for entering University at start of June after prom. And I really suffer from stress before it. And I have few tips for dealing with stress:
1. I eat more sweets and chocolates because it makes me feel better and gives more energy for my brain.
2. I go in for sport because it gives me positive emotions and helps to relax.
3. I sleep 9 or 10 hours.
4. I try to study more in the morning and less before sleeping.
5. I don`t study at night before exam.
I wish all to take exams successfully))))

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 29 April, 2013 - 14:31

Thank you for sharing your advice, and good luck in your exams! I agree with the one about sleeping, it's always important to make sure you aren't too tired. 

Alice's picture
Alice 27 April, 2013 - 16:05

I think you ideas are useful. But I always sleep only 5 or 6 hours, then I haven't energy to concentrate the next day.

MALINE 20 April, 2013 - 23:44

Hi Bethan I also suffer stress of exams, I think we all do maybe just in different intensity.

Natalija 20 April, 2013 - 19:51

I use all those tips you have mentioned, except studying with friends. I can study only alone, because otherwise I don't have concentration, and I always listen to the music before I start to study; it really relax me.

Lavender 16 May, 2013 - 20:21

Oh...me too. Every time I study with my friends, we talk more than study :) I know this is bad, but I can't help talking to them because it is so fun uh oh :(

Daoud's picture
Daoud 14 May, 2013 - 15:27

also me I don't like revising with others because they made noise and all the time they wait for you to explane the lessons