Earth Hour - time to turn off the lights

10
CharlotteM

I’m a big fan of trying to save the environment, and this month is the WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) annual Earth Hour. Earth Hour is an event where you turn off all non-essential lights and power between 8-9 pm; things like your TV, computer and console. However, you don’t just sit at home in the dark for an hour. Instead, people gather in groups and have fun without using power. Things like dancing, fireworks and musical performances are popular and it’s very fun to take part.

Many celebrities also take part in Earth Hour and this year is very important as it is the tenth year of the project. Earth Hour isn’t just about saving energy; people involved in Earth Hour have also planted a forest in Uganda, built solar panels in India and passed a law to protect the sea in Argentina.

I’ve taken part in Earth Hour every year for the last five years and I’ve been part of lots of activities at school and at university. Last year, for example, my university had an outdoor cycle cinema. At the cycle cinema, the only way to keep watching the film is to keep pedalling your bike, if everyone stops, then the screen turns off! Luckily, there were many of us to help keep the movie going and we took turns. Even though it was very cold outside at night, we had hot chocolate and blankets for the people who weren’t cycling. Everyone who was there had a lot of fun.

Here in my small town in Italy, Earth Hour isn’t a very big thing. In fact, nobody I’ve spoken to about it even knows what it is! I explained to some of my students what happened during Earth Hour and they were very keen to take part. At the moment, we are writing ways to help the environment and some of my students are planning smaller events with their friends.

I think that Earth Hour is a very fun way to raise awareness about the environment. We only have one planet, so it is important to keep it safe. A lot of my students feel like, as young people, they can’t do that much to help protect the planet. Anything can help, Earth Hour proves that even doing a little thing, like turning the lights off for one hour, can make a difference.  

This year Earth Hour is happening on the 19th of March, so get your friends together and turn off the lights!

Note from the editor: To find out more about Earth Hour you can read this text in our Read UK section and watch this video in our Video zone. 

Does your town have any plans for Earth Hour? What would you like to do?

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 9 April, 2016 - 16:29

oh well no earth hour but seriously plenty of gratitudes regarding switching off lights for the whole past month and thats ver good and enough.but I love it coz we only have one Earth and on that we do whatever we like...

sona1453's picture
sona1453 5 April, 2016 - 19:16

it sounds a good idea to turning whole lights off in a time interval but the crimes have to be considered

ni122001's picture
ni122001 1 April, 2016 - 17:46

I never been participant of Earth Hour,(i mean i never been in people gather) but every year I involved Earth Hour at home. I turn-off the lights, switch off computer and TV.
our planet endanger climate change, which destroy our home-our planet. It's important to save the Earth and save our life.
In my Country, Georgia(Euroupe) every year since 2012 celebrate Earth Hour. SAVE ENERGY SAVE OUR PLANET

hadia 22 March, 2016 - 13:40

Hi CharlotteM :P
I've never been a part of any kind of activity in Earth hour as, here, it's not such a big event ....
But as you mentioned about your activity of Cycle cinema ......It seems so interesting :))
I want to try that too ......I wish I could have been there :P
Well, once I was watching a TV program which was during the Earth Hour Day :P
At 9.00 pm all the lights went off and then they played a game......
It was that,
The people who have come from different areas, sitting in the audience, can say anything they wanted to say "live" to the world....Anything they wanna convey.....Like some said that there should be more institutions, some said to bring more reforms and etc..
But no one was able to see who was speaking.....Nobody knew who spoke those words.......It was a game .........A way, so that people could speak what they wanted to.....
Some said that they Love this celebrity and others....
It was fun.......
I was a kid when I watched that show :)))

CharlotteM's picture
CharlotteM 28 March, 2016 - 13:03

Hello hadia

The cycle cinema was very fun, even if it was very cold at night in England. If you ever get a chance to try it, you definitely should! :D

That sounds like a very interesting TV show, it must have been a lot of fun to watch! It's a good idea not knowing who is speaking, that way every person can speak their honest opinion

angelcat's picture
angelcat 19 March, 2016 - 02:45

i live in Singapore. In 19 March. Me and my friends gather together for a sleepover, without lights! We told ghost stories in midnight time,(i hardly sleep that night), and acted silly,well, around the BBQ fire i made.
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE FESTIVAL!

CharlotteM's picture
CharlotteM 19 March, 2016 - 08:41

Hi angelcat! The sleepover sounds exciting and a little bit scary! It's fun to celebrate festivals with your friends.The BBQ fire sounds like a really good idea. Thank you I hope you enjoy it too!

angelcat's picture
angelcat 20 March, 2016 - 03:02

I do this with my friends every earth hour, and the beef on the BBQ fire was so delicious!