Easter eggs

EleanorC

Easter Sunday and Easter Monday are public holidays in the UK. As well as being a religious festival, Easter is also the celebration of new life and the arrival of spring. That’s why there are so many symbols of fertility like eggs, chicks and rabbits. Soon after Valentine’s Day, the shops start to sell chocolate eggs, wrapped in colourful boxes and ribbons: some of them are huge! These are given to children as presents if they are well behaved. Some parents tell their children that the Easter Bunny has brought the eggs. The Easter Bunny is a fantasy character that arrives in secret, a bit like what Father Christmas does in December.

Another tradition in the UK is the Easter Egg Hunt. Towns often organise these parties during the Easter weekend: lots of chocolate eggs are hidden in local parks and children have to go and collect them. It is a lot of fun for everyone. Some families organise their own Easter egg hunt in their garden, if it is big enough.

Apparently, nearly 90 million Easter eggs are sold in the UK each year, and each child receives an average of 8 large chocolate eggs. This is obviously a lot of sugar and sometimes doctors and dentists warn people that this tradition is bad for children’s health. That’s why some families decide to give their children presents like toys and games, to stop them eating so much chocolate and ruining their teeth! However, Easter is not complete without a bit of sweetness, as long as it is in moderation.

Do you have any traditions to celebrate Easter or the arrival of Spring? 

SophiyaKas23's picture
SophiyaKas23 29 April, 2021 - 13:47

In Ukraine ot is customary to set rich tables at Easter, so there are also many culinary holiday traditions. Easter cakes are baked on Thursday or Saturday. This process must be accompanied by complete peace and quiet in the house. The night before Easter is the most solemn and festive, during which the people do not go to bed to have happiness and harmony for the next year. All-night liturgies are held in the temples, and in the morning the faithful break their fast and greet each other with the traditional "Christ is risen!" - "He is Risen Indeed!" A basket of delicacies is consecrated by believers in the church, after which they go home for a festive meal - "breaking the fast".

MALINE 21 August, 2014 - 17:40

In México the spring is celebrated in schools with festivals,all the children dance different dances in typical costumes and we also celebrate the birth of our president Benito Juaréz on March 21st.
Another way to celebrate spring is going to the pyramids and charge you up with the sun´s rays.

aktoty_nis's picture
aktoty_nis 27 July, 2014 - 11:18

In Kazakhstan we have Nauriz holiday. It is our traditional New Year. We selebrate this holiday in spring. It's best season for our country. We wear traditional kazakh clothers and cook traditional food. One of our traditional food is Nauriz Kozhe which is cooked special for Nauriz holiday. Also we play traditional games such as Arkan tartys , Kyz kuu, Asyk, etc.... We always lookforward to selebrate this amazing HOLIDAY NAURIZ!!!

Nazrin's picture
Nazrin 25 April, 2014 - 12:04

We have Novruz Holiday.We are painting egg,cooking cookie and so on... :) This holiday is a very interesting :)

Khaleesi's picture
Khaleesi 22 April, 2014 - 13:48

Heh. Lucky you.
We eat boiled eggs, but first, we try to break each other's eggs. With both ends. Whoever breaks an egg gets it. At least it's like that in my family.