Father's Day

37
Miranda Clark

Father's Day is on Sunday 16th June this year in the United Kingdom and is a day dedicated to honouring fathers across the country. Father's Day originated in the United States,  to match up to similar celebrations like Mother's Day. It is celebrated on the third Sunday of June here in the UK, but the date differs from country to country.

So, what exactly do I do with my Dad on this day? Well, he always asks for a "nice card" and so, during past Father's Day celebrations, I have created my own card to give to my father, usually with a photo or funny memory that we share and even with a poem or funny joke in. He says that this is "enough" and doesn't expect a present but I always like to give him something small as a gift to thank him for being a great dad! However, this gift usually ends up being the predictable present of a tie, pair of socks or new shirt for work so I have tried to be a bit more creative lately and make him something or find him something a bit different!

In the past, I have also made him breakfast which is always very warmly welcomed, especially as in the UK we are famous for our "big breakfasts" and, being a Sunday, we have time to spend together as a family. My brother and I usually try and do something nice with our Dad such as take him out somewhere nice or go for a nice walk together with our Mum. We treat him to lunch or dinner or even make him a picnic with his favourite food if we can! As you can see, my Dad likes to eat nice food! Every family celebrates Father's Day differently but I personally think that it's a nice day to spend together as a family and show your dad how much they mean to you. Happy Father's Day, Dad!

Do you celebrate Father's Day in your country? What do you do to celebrate? Do you make him or buy him a gift?

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 31 March, 2017 - 10:47

Yes we celebrate father's day here. My dad usually doesn't want expensive gifts so I generally make something or do something for him

Pitaloka's picture
Pitaloka 25 August, 2013 - 09:16

In Indonesia are rarely celebrated Father's Day, maybe even just very little people who know this day. We just celebrated Mother's day or the days other women. But my family celebrate it. Usually when Father's Day, we will cook father's favorite foods and help him complete his jobs.

GabrielRojas's picture
GabrielRojas 13 August, 2013 - 19:12

In Brazil, we celebrate Father's Day on the second sunday of August. Some people givve gifts and other people make the gift, and some people do the both.

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 9 August, 2013 - 22:07

In my country this day it isn't very famous but in my family we celebrate it by making a cake of my own

I don't know speaker's picture
I don't know speaker 8 August, 2013 - 23:14

In my country we usually give a gift like a shirt, a pair of pants or a perfume to our dads.

Albusaidi's picture
Albusaidi 1 August, 2013 - 23:59

Frankly, we do not celebrate Father
But I Dedicate My Father at any time and without any occasions

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 29 July, 2013 - 14:55

Of course that yes... I give him a present....and we went out to eat with my family...

jomia's picture
jomia 15 July, 2013 - 14:39

lf l don't see this tale, l have already forgotten father's day, always people around me nobody (or just a few people) celebrate it. When l play games, anyone else were studying, but in class, l was not best and not wrost, in the middle. l want to go away this place, why everyone around here, studying so hard!!!!!

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 27 June, 2013 - 15:59

yes in my country we celebrate father`s day. I usually buy him something to make him happy. Sometimes he takes us to go in a restaurant for dinner. WE HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!!! :D :D :) :)

LiliyaM's picture
LiliyaM 20 June, 2013 - 08:16

Hello everyone)
In our country not every family celebrate Father's day. In Ukraine we are prefer Mother's day. A lot of our fathers too busy,and they haven't time for some celebrations. that's so sad

PinkMonster's picture
PinkMonster 19 June, 2013 - 18:08

Hello,Ellen.Here is my answers :)
I'm 13.
I don't go to Azerbaijan but I know Azerbaijan because I'm Turkish and people know Azerbaijanis here.
I love playing tennis and reading.
We have 4 English lesson in a week and we have 2 english study times in my school.
Yes,I have.
I like The Cranberries, Sebnem Ferah,Manga and Queen.
I read my book,watch films,listen to music and play tennis in my free times.
I like Titanic in films and in songs Zombie,I Want It All,Bohemian Rhapsody etc..there are a lot! :)
I'm dark.
I'm tall.
No,I haven't.
your Turkish friend Pinkmonster :))
P.c:I'm sorry, I write it late :((

ellen's picture
ellen 21 June, 2013 - 09:52

hello PinkMonster
how are you Today.
of course my friend
I am 15.
i am medical size.
my favorite singers are Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez and s.on
I like Titanic, Argo, Taxi and many films.............
Have you been some countries?
What will you do in summer holiday?
Do you like to travel?
Do you prefer to work indoors?
Do you like talking to people?
Do you prefer to work alone?
Are you energetic?
Do you like orqanizing things?
Are you patient?
Have you got sister and brother?
Which you american singers like?
your Azerbaijanian friend Ellen

Amigo110's picture
Amigo110 18 June, 2013 - 06:06

In Viet Nam we dont celebrate Father's day. Eventhought In this day, i often see some articles on newspapers about father's day..I love my dad. He is the most carefull person in the world i've ever known..He loves familly, takes care of his children like a mother..I remember when I was child, I and my sister moved to Ha Noi City to live with my dad because he wanted us to have a good education in the city..A life in the city without mom was very difficult, but my dad replaced mom's role..Being a police so my dad is very busy but he always got up early in the morning nd prepared breakfast for us,drived me to shcool and took me home..He cooked meal , washed clothes, did all of houseworks when he had time because he wanted us have much time to focus on studying..I dont think a man can do these things..but my dad can do those for his children..I love my dad too much but I never express this feeling to him..It's always a silence nd sometimes arguments..Maybe Im not able to say to him " Con yêu bố " ..( , yêu - love , Bố - dad in Vietnamese ) but from the deep of my heart, i hope he is always happy, healthy..nd I'll make him be proud of me!

RisingSun's picture
RisingSun 17 June, 2013 - 16:59

In Japan we celebrate Father's day.
When I was in Kindergarten, I painted a picture of my father on a paper plate. I also wrote thank you,dad and gave it to my father.
I used to not know that children make breakfast for their fathers in Britain.
I think it is a good idea to create a gift and give it to him. I might make breakfast for my father next year.

ledothangxd's picture
ledothangxd 17 June, 2013 - 05:45

in Viet Nam, there isn't the celebration day for fathers. However, we always repect our fathers for taking care of our. As for other persons, although my Dad is not a perfect person: no a lot of money, no authority...as for me, he is a perfect person.

kristin26's picture
kristin26 16 June, 2013 - 14:36

OMG!! 'til today i know that there is father's day in my country. So
Shame i couldn't do anything for my dad. Maybe my family's members seldom express their feeling or what they're thinking to each other. In any way, every day is father and mother's day to me, NOW my affair is study hard and become a good girl to my parents. Love them all <3

quangteo's picture
quangteo 16 June, 2013 - 11:49

the same other dad. My father love our very much. He make sacrifice for our. All the his life, he save money,no clothes, no food because he hope we have a beautiful life. He is a famer so he's very hard.
I want he always forever beside our. I love my dad!

nadja's picture
nadja 16 June, 2013 - 03:17

I think you guys are wrong because 8th March is international women's day, not mothers day. Mothers day is celebrated a week before or after fathers day

Natalija 17 June, 2013 - 10:55

Yes, I agree with you, Nadja. The 8th of March is international women day, not mothers day.

MALINE 15 June, 2013 - 20:48

In México we also celebrate father´s day on 16th June.When I was a child I bought him a personalized card,there was a store where you could chose among different materials,different colours and different pictures.He really enjoyed that card and I had a great time doing it.

PinkMonster's picture
PinkMonster 14 June, 2013 - 17:21

Hello,Ellen. Thank you for praise my county :) And, I think you are from Azerbaijan,we are the friend countries :). And I think Azerbaijan is the great country :) And,yes, we are celebrate it but we don't do parties. Just gifting. :)

ellen's picture
ellen 16 June, 2013 - 17:33

hello my friend PinkMonster
How old are you,
Have you been to Azerbaijan,?
What is your hobby? How many hours a week you can pass the English language?
Have you got sister and brother?
Which you singers like?
What do you like to make when you have free time?
What English songs do you like? And movies? Please answer.....)))))
You are dark hair or blonde hair ?
You are tall, or undersized?
Have you got some animal?
your azerbaijanian friend Ellen

ellen's picture
ellen 13 June, 2013 - 17:45

hello PinkMonster.
you are Turkey.
Turkey it is very nice country.
How old are you?
Do you celebrate Father's Day in your country?
please.

PinkMonster's picture
PinkMonster 13 June, 2013 - 12:18

I'm from Turkey and we celebrate Father's Day and Mother's Day. We usually buy gifts for our parents. And we celebrate Father's Day in June's second sunday. This year it is in 16th June.

Jona's picture
Jona 12 June, 2013 - 17:40

We don't celebrate Father's Day but we do celebrate Mother's Day on March 8th.We usually give our moms flowers and other gifts.

ornela-k's picture
ornela-k 12 June, 2013 - 13:00

in my country Albania we don`t celebrate fathers day but mothers day and we celebrate than to give flower

Natalija 12 June, 2013 - 12:16

Yes, there is the Father's Day in Serbia, but most of Serbians don't celebrate it. It was more popular before, but it's slowly disappearing. I don't celebrate it too, and I agree with Hayaalhams that we shouldn't focus on one day only, but to spend every day with our father qualitative and with love. I don't live with my father, my parents divorced last year, and somehow, we don't spend much time together and don't talk very often. Thanks to this article, I think I'll make a surprise for my father and I'll buy him some interesting gift. I think he'll be happy and it'll be an opportunity to become closer with him.

hayaalhams's picture
hayaalhams 12 June, 2013 - 09:17

no actully we don't celebrate in fathers day in jordan ... i think we don't have to celebrate in this day beacuse we can celebrate every day ...

ellen's picture
ellen 12 June, 2013 - 18:18

I love very much fathers.
Soon Fathers day.
I congurlate my father and my frien fathers.
It is very nice day soon.