Good luck around the world

DanielT

Around the world, there are a number of different traditions that form part of the culture and can represent either good or bad fortune. It is fascinating to learn about these different habits and how they change from place to place.

In the UK, for example, the number 13 is unlucky and many people change the number of their house so that it is not this number. The number 7, on the other hand, is usually seen as fortunate and many people choose this number when gambling or entering a competition. Another thing to avoid in the UK is walking under ladders, as this is usually seen as bad luck, as is breaking a mirror.

In China, the rituals are a little different. The numbers 6 and 8 are said to bring great health, wealth and overall happiness, as opposed to the number 4 which is most definitely unlucky. It is so serious in many parts of the country that people are prepared to spend a lot of money to obtain a phone number with these "fortunate" numbers, and will actively avoid those with many 4s. Also in China, the colour red is said to be a colour strongly associated with leaders and success, and is one of the most popular colours for this reason.

In Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries, the number 15 is considered lucky, whereas in Sweden the number 3 is thought to bring the best fortune as "good things come in threes".

As can be seen, no matter where in the world you may be, there are sure to be a number of traditions and customs that bring with them a certain element of good or bad fortune. I have been fortunate enough to discover some of them for myself first-hand, and can't wait to find out even more as I continue learning about the places I live and work in.

Are there any customs and traditions in your country? Do you believe in them, and do you have any of your own?

Muskaan's picture
Muskaan 9 October, 2015 - 15:41

Hahahah! That seems ridiculous because 13 is my lucky number but then again, you can't say that someone else's belief is pointless.

In our country, If ssomeone breaks a mirror he is thought to have 7 unlucky years. Also, if you see a black cat passing by, that is considered unlucky. Some people also believe that if you cough without having a cold or a fever, that means someone is probably missing you xD

AzulM's picture
AzulM 16 February, 2015 - 01:27

In Argentina there are many traditions and customs. It's interesting to know the traditions of other places. In my country are the famous about the bad luck if you see a black cat, break a mirror and walk under a ladder. But there are more, for example my grandmother said that you should not to open a umbrella in the house, my mother says It's unlucky whistle on night and my father believes it's unlucky when someone sweep with a broom your feet. On the other hand there are some symbols of good luck: a horseshoe, a rabbit's feet, a baby's shoe and very much. I believe in some of these traditions, almost all

KatherinePinzon's picture
KatherinePinzon 7 November, 2014 - 18:49

There are many customs and traditions in my country, for exaple: People used to wear yellow underwear at New Year's Ave, they think that it helps for prosperity and good luck and, at that same date, they used to eat twelve grapes. I don't really believe in those traditions, don't know why, just think that aren't realistics.

camipacheco's picture
camipacheco 7 November, 2014 - 18:46

Well, in Colombia people believe that it is bad luck, When salt is spilt in some side, when one sees fixedly to the eyes the black cats and it is good luck to put on yellow underwear on December 31.

camimendez's picture
camimendez 7 November, 2014 - 18:46

In my country there are a large number of traditions, depending on the location of where you were born and educated, so to speak.
For my part, I don't have much faith in them. However some, the majority this is the season of Christmas and the end of the year; for example, the last day of the year with a suitcase to the return to the place where you live for that "throughout the year travel". Have a ticket in your pocket to "having money during the year". Among many others.

mariapaula1's picture
mariapaula1 7 November, 2014 - 18:44

There are many traditions in Colombia as the December 31 eat 12 grapes at 12 midnight, on Christmas pecebre make another one is burning candles on December 7 those are traditions of good luck and bad luck are salt water

danna1605's picture
danna1605 7 November, 2014 - 18:44

In Colombia have different traditions, such as at night if you see a black cat means bad luck, or if you find a coin on the street gives you good luck.

saraialeja's picture
saraialeja 7 November, 2014 - 18:41

in colombia we have traditions in December as for example if you pick up a suitcase and gives it a return to the round will travel a lot further example is that if Gets a ticket in your Pocket you will have luck with money

Nathalia1403's picture
Nathalia1403 7 November, 2014 - 18:40

I do not believe in these things, but in my country there are different traditions for example in december 31 at 12 pm with a suitcase out to shake around the block you travel a lot all the year, other tradittions are the yellow underwear for good luck. The people believe in these things I think it is crazy and I do not these things.

camilapico's picture
camilapico 7 November, 2014 - 18:38

Here in Colombia there are many traditions about which we can speak. For example we can find many of these traditions in Christmas. The yellow color and twelve grapes represent good fortune and good luck. Run with a badpack around the street means that you will travel a lot.

danielac's picture
danielac 7 November, 2014 - 18:38

In my contry it is very popular the color yellow, it represents good luck and fortune, people also believe that dreaming with snakes it means something bad is going to happen to you, also when you dream somebody dies it means that person is going to get married soon and when you dream someone is getting married is because that person is going to die.

julianad420's picture
julianad420 7 November, 2014 - 18:36

i think that people who thinks that the good luck comes to numbers or anything it´s so crazy, for something it´s good luck and the good luck is come for random no for something you have but in country (colombia) have a lot of beliefs one of this is when begin the new year if you go out and turn aroud your neighborhood with your bags you travel a lot all the year

gabrielamt99's picture
gabrielamt99 7 November, 2014 - 18:36

Here in Colombia exist many different traditions, like wearing yellow underwear to reach happiness the next year, or eating the twelve grapes on New Year party. I don't usually practice these ones, because everything is on the way you struggle for your goals.

gabrielamt99's picture
gabrielamt99 7 November, 2014 - 18:36

acarreno1's picture
acarreno1 7 November, 2014 - 18:32

In my country people believes that it's bad when you pass under ladder and when black cats pass in front of you. there also some people on December 31st have their luggage and they walk out with them one street and then goes back and this is supossed to bring you the chance to travel abroad and other people put yellow underwear to have good luck the next year.
i don't believe in those things but i like to do those with my family.

arguello's picture
arguello 7 November, 2014 - 18:31

in different parts of the world are different cultures and precepts, they must be respected because we identify with them, but personally I disagree with the good and bad luck, I think it's something for the poor.

nbotello1's picture
nbotello1 7 November, 2014 - 18:27

At my country, in new year eve usually people go out of their houses with a luggage and they run in all the neighborhood to travel more the next year, or females wear yellow underwear for bring good luck or they put grains on theirs wallet for have more money too. Personally I dont believe this.

nathalied's picture
nathalied 7 November, 2014 - 18:26

There are many traditions in Colombia, most of all Christmas
many of these traditions is prosperity for the coming year, one of them is run with a suitcase with the intention that long trip next year, another tradition is to place the yellow tights for good luck and a Colombian tradition is throw a ticket in my pocket to get money next year

10Acamiamaya's picture
10Acamiamaya 7 November, 2014 - 18:24

In my country Colombia in christmas there are in use several traditions that are actually enterteining because not if they serve but they have taught us that are to be true, everything depends on if you want to believe or not, since for example to eat up 12 grapes on December 31 on having finished the year at 12 p.m. you can realize this asking for 12 desire, one for every grape. It is entertained to share this with your relatives and friends, but the dreams are fulfilled by effort and dedication I would say that they are goals for the year that we must strain for expiring.

Angiepu1998's picture
Angiepu1998 7 November, 2014 - 18:18

in my country people believe that it is bad luck when black cat pass in front of you or if you break mirror you will have seven years accident or when the salt will fall you have a big problem, i dont believe in this somethigs but id like to hear about this.

DanielT's picture
DanielT 17 May, 2014 - 03:28

I'm sorry to hear that  this causes problems, Daerne98! I hope there are some positive results or benefits too!

MALINE 12 April, 2014 - 18:20

Here in México some people on December 31st have their luggage near their house's door and they walk out with them one street and then goes back and this is supossed to bring you the chance to travel abroad and other people sweep the floor to send bad feelings away.
Personally,I don´t do any of these things,I don´t belive in them.

DanielT's picture
DanielT 14 April, 2014 - 02:13

Thank you for sharing Maline, it's interesting that you don't observe these traditions yourself but that you appreciate and recognise them is also important.

DanielT's picture
DanielT 1 April, 2014 - 01:44

Thank you for your observation Fatime, could you give me an example of some of those customs and traditions?

Harabeli Supersweet 28 March, 2014 - 17:42

There are some superstitions in my country too. It's believed that it's bad to cut your nails during the night or when black cats pass in front of you. I don't believe them! But I like superstitions about good luck, like four leaf clovers, autumn leaves. And I don't believe that 13 is an unlucky number. Taylor Swift considers it a lucky number. I'm a Swiftie, so I like 13 too.

Niluh 25 March, 2014 - 13:57

Yes, there are many of them in my country, for example my mum always notice me not to sit or stand at the door, people believe it takes a bad luck, sweeping in the night is also prohibit in city where i live in.

DanielT's picture
DanielT 25 March, 2014 - 17:58

That`s fascinating Niluh! These are some I had never heard of so thank you for sharing them :)

dzeni 24 March, 2014 - 18:05

Well, in my country people believe that it is bad luck when you pass under ladder, when black cat pass in front of you or if you break mirror you will have seven years accident. They also think that friday the thirteenth is unlucky day.