Goodbye, Summer ...

Bethan Morgan

I think the time has come to say goodbye to the sun, to not wearing a coat and to summer in general. We all know it happens every year but it’s still always a disappointment when it does.

It feels like not that long ago when I was on a beach on the island of Crete on my summer holidays without a care in the world and now here I am, digging out my coat and boots and moaning about a sore throat.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some things about winter that I really love. I love getting home after work in the evenings and knowing that I don’t need to go out again so I can get all cosy in my flat. I love having an excuse to wear all my favourite jumpers. I love using my fluffy hot water bottles and warming my hands on a huge cup of tea. But make me go outside for any reason and that’s where the love ends.

In my new job I have to walk to and from work every day, with each journey lasting half an hour. I have been enjoying this recently as it means I walk through the local park before it is taken over by families, with just the occasional dog walker or jogger. But now that it is getting cold I am going to start resenting my walk to work, which I am not looking forward to. I may even have to start taking the bus, which is something I would rather not do, as I enjoy the exercise I get from walking.

Another bad thing about the cold weather approaching is that everyone is ill! All the members of my department are currently suffering from a cold, and because I work in a school all the students are too. This of course means that I will catch it sooner or later, so I have stocked up on cough sweets and painkillers well in advance.

It could be worse though, I mean now that the weather is changing I have a perfect excuse to head into town and treat myself to some new (more weather-appropriate) clothes, which is not something I am going to complain about! 

Do you like the cold weather or are you sad when summer is over?

sona's picture
sona 18 November, 2015 - 17:28

I love summer,because it makes me feel free and happy. In addition, I can sleep as much as I want and I like moments when I got up in sunny days,because this gives me optimism. I also can go out with friends, go to my village, eat many fruits or even play football. On the other hand,the winter has also its value,because I have time to read near fire- place and to enjoy the relax that only winter offers.

congduy2001's picture
congduy2001 25 July, 2015 - 02:52

In my country, the winter isn't always cold. It's just cool enough for me to go to the beach, fly kites or play some sports. That's why I prefer winter in my country.

joong's picture
joong 19 March, 2014 - 12:51

I like summer very much, but I like winter for the snow falls in the winter.I can not choose from this two season which is good

ccrc's picture
ccrc 26 October, 2013 - 14:13

I love both of summer and winter but summer is better.with out some snowy days, snowy days are better than a warm day in summer.

MALINE 13 October, 2013 - 18:25

This is a really difficult question for me to answer because I am asthmatic and in Winter I always get ill and in Spring with all the pollen I get allergies,but defenetily I preffer hot over cold.

kieungoc's picture
kieungoc 26 September, 2013 - 07:19

i really really like winter,even though my country don't have snow.i is becoming cold.i will have a great feeling when i lie down blanket and eat something with my family or friend,talk about everything.this help us be close

Natalija 25 September, 2013 - 20:21

I don't like cold weather at all. I like summer, warmness and summer dresses. I hate wearing tons of clothes in winter, and not eating ice cream, not swimming in the sea...But I like winter too, in some ways. I like the first snow, the Christmas, and I like wearing coats:-). Winter is always good to relax in your bed, looking at first snow and drinking hot chocolate.Somehow, I'm looking forward to winter.

Lavender 24 September, 2013 - 13:47

I hate winter too. I hate wearing a lot of clothes. My clothes are hard to dry in winter, and they smell without sunshine. I tend to sleep more in winters, that means I have less time doing some things else than in summer. My hands my feet often become frozen, this bothers me while I'm writing. I like to leave my feet bare and touch the floor, but I can't do this in winters. And I have to close the windows all day due to the wind so I can't breath the fresh air. In short, winters = coldness = inconvenience.

Harabeli Supersweet 20 September, 2013 - 13:42

No, I'm not sad when summer is over, because school starts and my day is more organised. I like cold weather, especially when it's snowing, but unfortunately it's so rare in the place where I live.

ellen's picture
ellen 19 September, 2013 - 17:01

i really like summer.
It is has got very nice time.
But, i like winter, too
I like cold weather.
We say: Godbye Summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iulia20's picture
Iulia20 19 September, 2013 - 13:00

I like the cold weather because it's Christmas holidays period.I spend a lot of time with my family, my cousins.But it is a regret of the cold weather: the school starts.

Jona's picture
Jona 17 September, 2013 - 16:53

My favourite season is winter,but I hate I have to say to sayy goodbye to summer 'cause it means no more sun,no more time at the beach,goodbye to all sundresses...Anyway,winter is so fun.

justcricketforme 17 September, 2013 - 12:42

I love cold weather but I also hate to know summers over because it means no ice-creams, nospending on the sea time ):!