Home: a place to be missed

7
LauraT

Home is a place that one never forgets. A place which has that warming familiarity that nowhere else does and a connection that can never be broken.

I began to realise how important home was when I left my small town for university two years ago. I always knew that it was important to understand your background and your heritage but nothing prepared me for the way I would feel when living abroad. Here are a few things that make me miss home...

History and Culture
I’ve visited all kinds of museums of French history since being here and I have enjoyed getting my first glimpses into certain periods of their past but these visits just don’t quite make it for me. I pondered over why this was for the first few weeks and then came to realise that it was because I wasn’t from here, I was a foreigner looking on. I had not been taught about it at primary school, I had not grown up with that nostalgia and I did not have that bond to the country. However much I wanted to enjoy it, there is no history like the history of your home.

Language     
I’m in France to improve my French language, but it has been because of this that I have realised how proud I am to be British. I’ve often been abroad on holiday and locals have said to me how lucky I am to be from my country. I understood to a certain extent but I did not realise how true this was until I left. I think it’s important to acknowledge what impact Britain has had on the world over the last 300 years but it is equally important for us to acknowledge that the English language is most certainly NOT spoken by everybody and that we need to catch up in the race to be the best linguists!   

Food
Of course, how could I write this without mentioning British food. Okay, so I adore European foods, I’m not denying that - but when it comes to British food, there is just no competition! Those home-cooked roasts or fish and chips just aren’t quite the same anywhere else, no matter how hard they try. Sorry France!   

Tell us about your home. What would you miss about it if you moved away? 

mavis2002's picture
mavis2002 1 January, 2017 - 20:16

Hello guys!
When we live our first home I was really sad about that.I candidates enjoy new place soon and it was really hard for me.
I still miss about my last bed room and last home a lot.
oh...It's not easy really!! o>_<o~

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 7 March, 2014 - 15:58

My home is not big.It has three rooms:living room,and two bedrooms.i like my bedroom.I clean my bedroom every weekend.I like my home.

learningenglish282's picture
learningenglish282 1 November, 2013 - 22:20

i am away home now. My family moved to Canada as immigrants, we have our new home now but after 12 days living here, i still miss my house back in Vietnam. Everything just appears in my mind like it was yesterday, i dream about Vietnam every night and for the first few days i cried a lot. I really miss the way i lived there, a bird that i have and my aunt's family... This is a hard time for me, i start my new life in Canada, many things have change, i go to school, meet new peope, i go sightseeing... Canada is a beautiful and peaceful country but i don't know, i still miss Vietnam so much... ;((

kieungoc's picture
kieungoc 3 November, 2013 - 00:36

hi,i'm Ngọc.i'm from Viet Nam.i'm very happy to know that you too.i hope you soon come back Viet Nam oneday

FCsniper's picture
FCsniper 1 November, 2013 - 19:46

Your title was amazing and I enjoyed reading it .
Of course . Your home , parents and family are very important and have special meaning in our selfs ,
Thanks so much

Harabeli Supersweet 31 October, 2013 - 17:03

I would miss my parents, all kind of delicious food that only my mum can make. Of course that I'd miss my bed, my book shelf, my toys, but it can't be compared with my parents. I've never been far away from home and I miss it even when I'm staying at my grandparents' house just for one or two days.
Anyway, I love to travell abroad and learning about a new culture distracts you from missing home.

LauraT's picture
LauraT 2 November, 2013 - 09:39

You're certainly right, being in another country and learning about a new culture does distract you from missing home :)