How can you afford to travel?

14
TashaD

As part of my university course, it is compulsory that we spend a year studying or working abroad which is why I am in the beautiful Spanish region of La Rioja for the year. It’s a tough life I know ;). I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring what the region has to offer and it is a particularly pretty area as the vineyards make for stunning scenery. I don’t even mind my early morning commutes to work because I can watch the sunrise over the striking landscape.

However, I have always wanted to use this year to be able to travel around Spain in order to discover and learn more about the other regions and cities in this fascinating country. So far I have made it to Madrid, Bilbao, Barcelona, Zaragoza, Salamanca and Sevilla … Not bad after only a few months here!

What is interesting is that a lot of my friends who are still studying in the UK have asked me how I am able to afford all of this travel. The truth is that if you do not choose luxury accommodation or the fastest route to your destination, it is fairly easy to travel around Spain on a small budget. I usually stay in hostels or with friends and normally choose to travel by bus as it is cheaper than going by train, even though that may take me longer. Therefore, my trips are not usually very luxurious but I am happy because I am able to explore new areas and meet new people.

Additionally, I make sacrifices so that I am able to afford my travel costs. For example, the €30 shirt which I loved last week in my favourite shop had to be put back down because that €30 will pay for a return bus to Madrid … I therefore choose to travel rather than do other things. Besides, I don’t ask my friend how much it costs her to go horse riding every week – a hobby which must be at least equally as expensive as my travelling hobby!

If you really want to do something, you find a way to make it happen and that is why I am able to travel around so much. I am very lucky that I have this opportunity and I intend to make the most of it. Next stop, Cádiz!

Do you consider travel to be one of your hobbies? Do you think travel is too expensive?

Manaly's picture
Manaly 27 October, 2016 - 14:57

I haven't traveled yet but i guess travelling is expensive and needs a good Budget ;). I love traveling and i think spending money in travelling trips isn't wasting money, you need to take break from your routine and see a beautiful views. If i have a chance to travel i would love to visit Kuwait, the UK, Paris and Bosnia.

AprilEngvid's picture
AprilEngvid 22 August, 2016 - 14:56

Việt Nam Việt Nam Việt Nam Việt Nam Việt Nam Việt Nam Việt Nam. I guarantee my country is the cheapest and the most rewarding destination. Just only about 5$ per day to make your stomach full (unless you choose a posh restaurant). You are also welcomed in my beautiful country.

ShizuokaU's picture
ShizuokaU 26 July, 2016 - 15:34

haha, Now I studying in Japan and if you may come here I will be free tour guide for you. In addition, travelling in Japan is not too expansive.

ShizuokaU's picture
ShizuokaU 26 July, 2016 - 15:23

hi everyone. I am a new member, this i the first time I have wrote on blog in English so please give me some advices, thank you so much!

Elsa007 9 February, 2016 - 13:22

Yes! I like to travel very much! But actually, I'm not a good planner and I often get lost and ask around and I often took wrong buses and didn't notice until I knew there were few people around me, except a drive and I…… Phew! I tend to think that's one of the good experience of travels! So honestly I like to be taken to a travel by someone who knows their way around!

TashaD's picture
TashaD 11 February, 2016 - 10:45

I also like to be taken around by somebody local - I agree! Although my poor sense of direction and getting lost sometimes means I find the prettiest places just by wandering!

habib's picture
habib 8 February, 2016 - 07:26

I wish if i could travel the whole world. For me travelling is so much expensive. And in my country a young girl cannot travel alone. But travelling is my passion and i want to change this socity that one day my family will permit me to travel independently.

TashaD's picture
TashaD 11 February, 2016 - 10:46

Even if you cannot travel alone now, it is exciting that you want to travel and you can start to think of places you would like to visit :) 

hadia 3 February, 2016 - 04:41

Travelling isn't really expensive! Well I haven't travelled much but I have visited many places and cities in my school trips! I really had a lot of fun!
I have mostly travelled due to my active participation in co-curricular activities and excellent academic records ( haha! Praising myself!)
Well I am a very good debater and orator so I have travelled to different cities for my competitions! :) I love travelling for this purpose! I have learnt too much by this :))
My school trips were soo amazing................ I had really excellent time travellung with my friends, and teachers! And my family too :))!
Well I can say that I have a great Hobby i.e Travelling :)

TashaD's picture
TashaD 11 February, 2016 - 10:48

There is nothing wrong with praising yourself - it sounds like you have made the most of lots of opportunities! How exciting! Would you like to travel on your own one day in the future? Or do you prefer to travel with family and friends?

hadia 21 February, 2016 - 12:13

Hi TashaD
Thanks a lot for your comment :) Yep! I would love to travel on my own! Actually after a very short period of time I am going to have my medical college entrance test So if I'll pass it with high marks then I'll get admission in a Medical college...........And hence I will have to travel on my own to go there! I mean without family and friends because it's not in my city and obviously my parents are not going to go there with me! :)) And then I 'd have a great chance to travel on my own :))
Please do pray for me so that I would be able to get into a Medical College :))))

Ran's picture
Ran 2 February, 2016 - 13:04

I like travelling. i want to go to everywhere if possible. i believe that i can travel to Japan and Paris someday

56 users have voted, including you.
Ran's picture
Ran 19 February, 2016 - 13:46

Hi TashaD! It's so nice to know that you have the same dream with me.I'd love to see cherry blossoms,go to Tokyo Towel and trying Japaness food such as sushi, sashimi :D