How I learned to love my school uniform

15
EllaO

School uniforms are an integral part of the British education system whether the students like it or not. My first uniform consisted of a grey skirt, white shirt, green and white striped tie and a green jumper - I was four years old. Although I didn't like wearing them at the time, looking back, I now strongly believe they were a good thing. 

In my opinion, a uniform does not only promote equality, but also a sense of community. For example, the FC Barcelona team wear the same kit and in the process of doing so, they represent their club. Similarly, students wear the same uniform and look smart representing their schools. I would rather be judged on my actions and personality than the clothes I wore, and I am certain that a football player would rather be judged on their ability and skill level over what they wear to training sessions.  

Just like players accessorise their football boots, students can still customise their rucksacks or their uniforms in a number of ways. Many choose to have colourful bags since the uniforms tend to be lacking in vibrant colours, and the teachers may not like it, but we can usually get away with having the top button undone, shirt untucked, our ties a shorter length or our sleeves rolled up. 

Although equality is the main argument, uniforms are also very practical from both a teacher and a student's perspective. From a teacher's perspective, not only is it easier for them to spot us in crowded areas on school trips, but it is also easier for them to recognise us in the classroom, as we wear the same clothes everyday. From a student's point of view, we can stay in bed a little longer in the mornings as we don't have to agonise over our outfits.

However, there are of course disadvantages - it can be quite irritating having to bring a change of clothes if we're going to a friend's house after school!

Topics: 
Do you have to wear a uniform to school? If you do, what's it like? If not, would you like to?  

hadia 1 July, 2016 - 07:14

We wear uniform. It's a white white kameez with bue color strips's pattern on it. And a Shalwar. We also wear dupatta or Scarf with it.

Shafayathj's picture
Shafayathj 20 May, 2016 - 17:43

Like all other institutions, We also have uniform! It's a white shirt and a Brown Pant!! I love to wear this as I look so cute :D

irinamozol's picture
irinamozol 15 September, 2015 - 14:17

Yes, I do.In my school uniform is a dark blue cardigan.To be honest, I don't like it, but I wear it every day.
school uniform is a stylish and prestigious)

IloveallinConan's picture
IloveallinConan 15 March, 2015 - 22:56

In Vietnam, every school has one school uniform. Me too, I wear a uniform to school every day. Really, I hate wear a uniform to school.
It is a white shirt + plaid skirt, it makes me uncomfortable.( Because I hate wear skirt)

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 18 December, 2014 - 10:23

Yep,we wear a smart uniform too..It's a a cream collar shirt with the college crest and a nice skirt in beige colour.That''s the best uniform to wear though girls of two schools too wear this...!

Downton6Abbey6Fan's picture
Downton6Abbey6Fan 14 October, 2014 - 17:48

I don´t have to wear one. But I think, if I should, I wouldn´t find it bad, because it has it good sides.

Jenny_Greece's picture
Jenny_Greece 10 October, 2014 - 13:12

No, in my country you don't were school uniform. I don't think it would be great to wear a uniform. Wearing everything you want, you can show your creative self. I don't want to wear something similar with other people...

Harabeli Supersweet 5 October, 2014 - 10:53

Yes, I do. It's a dark blue T-shirt that has the school name stamped on the left. To be honest, I don't like it, but I wear it every day. Not all students wear it. Anyway, I'm not the kind of girl who pays so much attentions on clothes, so I wear the uniform, jeans and trainers in school days.

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 3 October, 2014 - 17:25

Yes, I wear one too. It's a shirt and a skirt in our school color, and I think I look smart in it.

Monisa's picture
Monisa 3 October, 2014 - 07:50

Yes, almost every institution in my country has a uniform for its members, and so is our school.
We have to wear a blue kameez, a white salwar, and a white shawl to school.