I want never gets ... or does it?

KatieP

There is saying which my Mum likes to use often, 'I want never gets'. She says it to me and my siblings when we forget to say please or when we ask for something in a way that is not very polite. So I am very used to being polite or sometimes not even asking for things that I want.

During my year abroad however I learnt that actually, unless you tell people what you want, you're probably unlikely to get it.

My contract in the school I was teaching English at unfortunately was coming to an end but I really did not want to leave and I knew many of my friends also felt the same. After an evening of talking about it with my friends I decided to tell my colleagues I did not want to leave so soon despite all my friends saying it was risky and that they were too scared to say anything. I will admit though, I was actually very scared myself.

All however worked out well, my contract was extended at the school as it turned out they really wanted me to stay, but did not know whether I would want to myself.

Had I not asked, I would never have managed to stay for longer and so I would like to say to my Mum and others who use the phrase, sometimes, 'I want...' gets you exactly what you want!! 

Topics: 

Do you have a phrase that's similar to 'I want never gets' in your language? 

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 12 October, 2015 - 09:23

Oh yes, Crystal clear now!!! Thank you very much for replying me within a little time!! I am very proud of your team for looking the members' problems and solving them in a short time! :)
Best wishes, sanpai28

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 12 October, 2015 - 08:45

Hi sanpai28,
'I want never gets' means that you don't get things by saying 'I want ....' but you have to ask for things in a more polite way. It's often used with children when they ask for things in a rude way. For example, if my daughter said 'I want some chocolate' I could say 'I want never gets' which means that she won't be given any chocolate until she asks for it in a polite way. 
Is that clear? Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 13 October, 2015 - 10:34

Hello, JoEditior
I would like to ask you one more question.Sorry for bothering you....
When I upload a comment, it takes time. When I sometimes had to wait to see a comment uploaded, a little bit longer, I clicked 'save' button a few times....at most three. Then, my same comment appeared twice or thrice on the page. This is my fault of impatience. So could you please tell me how I can delete the repeated messages?
Oh! By the way, thank you for your last reply, too. :)
Best wishes, sanpai28

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 13 October, 2015 - 11:21

Hi sanpai28,
Thanks for asking this. Yes, sometimes you have to wait a few hours until we publish your comment. This is because we are a very small team working on the website and we have to read and check every comment before it gets published. You don't need to save a comment more than once. When we see two or three comments repeated we can delete them for you, but please try to just save a comment once. That would really help us. 
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 13 October, 2015 - 12:25

Hello JoEditor!
Very very thank you for your reply. And I'm so so sorry that my repeated comments interrupted your work. I didn't mean to. When I clicked "save" a few times at first, I hoped it would help saving my comment more quickly and I didn't know that this action would make a comment repeat itself several times. I'll try to just save only once later.
Thanks a lot, JoEditor :)

Elsa007 12 October, 2015 - 10:50

Hello JoEditor,
I want to read……. Oh, oh…. 'I want never gets…!' :)
Okay, I'd like to read a blog about packed trains in somewhere in Asia. Have you got any writing about it?
Best regards,
Elsa

Elsa007 15 October, 2015 - 01:14

Thank you, Grace! :)))
I want to ……..(Noop?, Yep?), or in a more polite way, I'd like to correct my sentence which says 'in somewhere'. I wanted to type 'somewhere in Asia'!
I would have liked to type…..?? Hold on! Does this make sense? Will you help me, Grace, please? Do you say like this when you wanted to say something (past) in a polite way? :)))