International breakfasts

17
RuthieBlogger

I really love breakfast. It’s my favourite meal of the day! I think it is so important to eat a big healthy breakfast so you have enough energy for the rest of the day (or at least until lunch!). A few years ago I spent part of the summer in France with other young people from all over Europe. I realised that breakfast habits vary a lot. It was something I hadn't thought about before – I knew that countries have national dishes and general tastes vary from place to place, but somehow, I thought that breakfast was pretty similar everywhere. How wrong I was!

I normally eat cereal or perhaps toast, but there were Italians there who just wanted to eat chocolate chip biscuits and drink coffee. I thought they were crazy, until I tried their biscuits, then I realised they were actually very tasty. And I really liked the French habit of drinking hot chocolate with their breakfast, as I normally only drink cocoa late at night before bed. And when the Germans offered me ham and cheese to eat with my bread, I was very confused, until I realised that our traditional English breakfast consists of sausage and bacon and toast, so it’s really not so different after all!

In the end, we all found that we liked fresh bread and chocolate spread, so we ate that each morning! Yum :)

What do you eat for breakfast? What would your ideal breakfast look like?

hadia 16 November, 2016 - 15:10

Well, the traditional breakfast in Pakistan includes a variety of dishes...I mean , people usually love to have a healthy breakfast for healthy start of the day.
Halwa Puri........yum yum yum. It's the yummiest of all. It's considered one of the best breakfasts. Usually people have it on Sundays or on special ocassions. But there's no compulsion. Like we, me and my family, we have it usually when my Elder Sis and bro come back for a holiday from their Univ. Or on Sundays.
Then comes Paratha. It's really healthy. With butter. Eggs. Both fried and omelette. Tea is must. I and my Sis usually have Green tea after breakfast. Commonly known as Kashmiri Chai or Sabz Chai in Urdu.
Bread with some chicken steaks. Kabob. Nuggets. Sandwiches. There's too much to eat. Or even we can have cereals. Noodles. Um........and Daal (pulses) for breakfast. Daal is a traditional curry type dish. It tastes yummy with Pratha, Chapati or even Rice.
We can also have mixed cooked veges for the breakfast. My moms makes yummiest Breakfast ever. She's amazing. I Love her mixed veges dish. They are so yummy.

So yeah, these are some of the breakfast's items. May be more can be listed. But at the moment, I can't think of more. Hehe
Please do have a google search on my traditionlal breakfast's items. They are yummy. Even the pics would be so inviting. Ha ha!

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 17 November, 2016 - 08:50

Hi my dear friend, Hadia, :D
It is so amazing that we also eat your traditional breakfasts in our country,too although they are not our traditional. Mostly paratha, It is eaten as breakfast. But we pronounce it as palartar. Palartar is made without butter(may be it's expensive) and made with eggs only when the customer wants. It is more expensive than normal(without eggs). It has two types, sugar paratha and garden peas stuffed paratha. I more like the pea stuffed paratha.We also eat Puri, with curries, especially with potato curry. I am not sure it is the same as Halwa Puri, isn't it? And Chapati is also eaten,too. They usually can find in indian restaurants and small shops where the shopkeepers are mixed with Indian blood and our nation's blood. They are all delicious. Yumm :b
By the way, if you visit our country, put ''to try our traditional foods, including motehingha(the one you like)" in a must-list. :D
With best wishes

hadia 17 November, 2016 - 15:17

Hi dearest BFF!!!!
I really love talking and discussing with you. Thanks for replying. Glad to know that we share same kinds of breakfasts. Yeah, India and Pakistan have almost same traditional foods.
I'd love to visit your country and try a dish. Whats the most famous dish in your country?? And what's your fav.??? I'd love to try that specially ;)))
Love. Hadia

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 19 November, 2016 - 04:38

Hi my dearest and lovely BFF,
I really, really love a conversation with you,too. I'm so happy everytime I get a reply from you. I am not sure what the most famous dish is as every one has own liking. But maybe, it is monhinga because the shops that sell this are found almost every where and there is almost no one who doesn't like that meal. Good choice, my friend :D
I like monhinga,too but my fav. is noodle salad,I think. And we not only eat traditional breakfasts but also eat Indian, Chinese, Thailand, England, American and some other breakfasts. I also like Chinese dumpling, too. I also like the Indian spices, masala. I don't want to eat chicken and beef curries without masala.
Also tell me your country's famous dishes,too. I'd love to try your famous dishes, especially the bread with chicken steaks and the curry which is eaten with paratha, chapati or rice. I am sure they will be delicious..Yumm:b

hadia 23 November, 2016 - 15:30

Hey there my sweetest bestie!!
I'd love to eat mohinga and noodle salad. My mouth's watering!! Ha ha. Me too. I can't eat without curry. It's so tasty. Chickensteaks are my fav. too. Well, as we are Asians, we would have have quite same tastes :))) Hmm, in Pakistan, people love eating Biryani!! Everyone loves it. Also chicken curry, and dishes which are spicy.....whicb we, the natives call as "full of Masala". He he. People like Chinese too. Especially I. I love chinese food. Yummy. I really love my traditional food. Everyone does, that's natural. But Dear Sanpai , you'd really love to try them out. Barbeque, it's so yummy.......!!

gianggiang 11 November, 2016 - 13:24

My ideal breakfast is a bowl of rice noodles ( especially, " Pho", our traditional rice noodles). And people in my country only eat rice noodles for breakfast, if you have a chance, I recommend that you should try. In 2000, when American president Bill Clinton visited Vietnam, he ate Pho, in 2016, when Barack Obama paid a visit to Vietnam, he also ate Bun Cha ( also a kind of rice noodles). Our traditional rice noodles is delicious !

hadia 16 November, 2016 - 14:55

You and sanpai share same types of breakfast. Wow!! But may be the taste of yours and her coumtry's Rice noodles is different. I want to try rice noodles from both of you.!!

katerini's picture
katerini 4 November, 2016 - 13:24

My breakfast in pretty ordinary. I always start my day with a bowl of cereal and a hot cup of milk but at weekends when I have a lot of time to make my breakfast I usually make something different.Sometimes I eat toast and I drink some orange juice or I eat a yogurt with some fruits on the top. But I wish I could have something completely different for breakfast every day. I personally would like to have something sweet . I know most of people like salty things for breakfast but I don't. A donut with some milk would be perfect for me or some pancakes with a little bit of syrup and fruits on the top would be the best breakfast !!!! Yum.....!!

RuthieBlogger's picture
RuthieBlogger 8 November, 2016 - 08:11

I love to cook exciting breakfasts when I have more time too - especially if I am with friends! Pancakes are one of my favourites, but I also love cooking scrambled eggs on toast, it really sets you up for the day :) unfortunately it takes too much time to do every morning...

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 6 November, 2016 - 04:31

Hello, katerini,
Wow! Your breakfast style is really healthy for you :) Keep it up,katerini. Now I think that how unlucky I am because I don't want to eat those healthy breakfasts.

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 4 November, 2016 - 04:25

Hey friends, please also share about your traditional breakfasts,too. :) I love to know different food from different countries. :D

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 4 November, 2016 - 03:10

My breakfasts are not same every day.I eat different types of breakfast. Among them, I wanna tell my some traditional breakfasts of Myanmar. The first is the fried rice with boiled garden pea. We serve this only or it can be served with meat cuisine, such as chicken or beef, or with dried fish.
Next, the steamed rice....it is sticky rice and delicious, also served with dried fish and a few boiled garden peas topped on it.
There comes with the noodle. The first is motehinga. It is some kind of breakfast which contains rice noodle and it is eaten with fish broth. The ingredients are plenty. There are fish,egg, chicken pea, banana stem and many others. There are still more others that I can't say. It is one of the most famous traditional breakfasts in our country. And The Noodle Salad. It is a meal of noodle mixed with fried onions with oil, dried shrimp powder, roasted chicken pea powder, fresh lemon or lime juice, and thinly sliced raw vegetables. Mainly we use cucumber, onions, and cabbage. The sliced lemon or lime pieces are squeezed to have juice. This is my favourite one. :) That meal is mixed up with different tastes.
And finally, Golden Rice. It is steamed rice mixed with palm sugar juice. Its colour is brown. It looks like sticky and soft chocolate. It is a dessert but eats as breakfast,too.
All these above are yummy traditional breakfasts. There are still a lot more to say other breakfasts. But let's end up this cos I'm soooo hungry while writing this! Yumm.......:p

hadia 16 November, 2016 - 14:52

Yummy!! Your breakfasts are different to my country's traditional breakfasts. But I really wanna try yours. Specially, Rice Noodles.!!
Yum yum!!

RuthieBlogger's picture
RuthieBlogger 8 November, 2016 - 08:05

Thanks for sharing Sanpai28 - your breakfasts are very different to mine, but they sound delicious! I would love to try your Golden Rice one day :)

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 10 November, 2016 - 04:48

I'm so glad to know that you like our traditional dessert, Golden Rice. :D I like British breakfasts,too. Bread, sausages, mushrooms, .....mmmm, how yummy they are! And I like the one almost all British citizens like.......Of course, TEA. I love tea very much.