Is it Christmas already??

EmilyW

In England, the moment that supermarkets and shops sweep Halloween merchandise off the shelves, the whole country begins a countdown to Christmas.

Christmas is the highest spending holiday in the UK – followed by Easter and then Halloween. Companies make a lot of money selling presents, costumes, decorations and themed sweets, so they are eager for people to start buying their products as early as possible. This means that as soon as you have thrown away your ghost costume, put your face paint back in the cupboard, and cleaned up all the sweet wrappers from the floor, you have to start shopping again!

There's nothing wrong with a festive season, and getting excited for the upcoming holidays (who isn't looking forward to lots of food and presents with the family?) but personally, I don't think the “Christmas season” should start at the beginning of November. It hasn't even snowed yet!

Lots of companies in England have special advertisements or products that they only bring out at Christmas. Starbucks has “special” red cups; Coca-cola has the famous red Christmas truck that drives around the country and appears in its adverts, and specially decorated Christmas-themed cans.

Living in France, however, is a very different experience. I didn't see any Halloween costumes, sweets or decorations in the shops, and if I hadn't left the house on Friday 31st October I could have avoided the holiday altogether! The costumes I did see looked homemade, not shop-bought, and no children rang our doorbell shouting "trick or treat".

It's been almost a week since Halloween and I still haven't seen any Christmas merchandise in the town I live. I hope that nothing appears until December, when it actually feels like Christmas. When all you see is adverts for 3 months before Christmas reminding you how much you should spend, by December 25th you forget that there are other important parts of this holiday – like spending time with your family.

That's not to say that this year I won't be buying presents, decorating a Christmas tree and wearing a paper hat on Christmas Day – I love all of these things. But I'm happy that I don't have to think about it all until closer to the time!

Is Christmas celebrated in your country? If so, how early does the Christmas season begin?

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 29 November, 2014 - 17:01

Well I've been hearing Merry- Christmas In Radio and in schools. But the real decor starts in the 10s-18s in December.

gimmethefood's picture
gimmethefood 11 November, 2014 - 16:32

Yes in my country we celebrate Christmas.But we celebrate It it a lot different then Catolics do.We're Ortodox so in our culture Christmas is all about the traditions and celebrating God.We don't go visiting our friends or family.We have to stay home.I ♥ Christmas! :)
Our Christmas is on January the 7th and we don't buy each others presents (that kinda' sucks :D) so there are no long preparations and preasure.So here in my country it's too early to start preparations for this holliday,we do that at the end of December or even in first days of January.

Anna24's picture
Anna24 11 November, 2014 - 16:23

In my country, Slovakia we celebrate Christmas on 24th December but some shops starts advertising in October!!! There were also years when they started this already in September. It´s too early. I can´t understand why they do that so early like that.

adorable1407's picture
adorable1407 11 November, 2014 - 10:16

Yes, we celebrate Christmas in my country ! And now everything in shops reminds me of upcoming holiday! I love this time , because you can spend it with family and it's really magic time of year , but i think it's too early to start preparations for Christmas ! Now everywhere you can find sweets, Xmas trees , chocolate, baubles. But ... hey..., it's November now! We should wait till December , i think ! :)

kieungoc's picture
kieungoc 10 November, 2014 - 09:14

in Viet Nam-my country,we don't celebrate christmas.because christmas isn't the most important holiday of us .just some people give some gifts for thier lovers.but i'm really exited about watching that people celebrate for christmas in the televion...and watching the films for christmas day.

anna9's picture
anna9 9 November, 2014 - 19:47

Yes, we celeblate Christmas in my country! The Christmas season in Greece begin in earlys December!!!! I think is the best time to start working on Christmas!!! Novmber is too early.

minecraftgamer's picture
minecraftgamer 7 November, 2014 - 23:12

Yes, we celebrate christmas december 24 but lots of people start to buy decorations in december. I always call november christember.