The joy of being alone!

SteveM

Learning a new language and then spending time in a different country means that you spend a lot more time in your own head than ever before! Just think about it, how much easier is it to have a conversation in your own language than a foreign one? You don’t even think about it, it’s just so easy. This is of course a lot harder when you are in a different language and immersing yourself in a different culture and the result can often be that you don’t really want to talk that much and spend a lot of the time, well just thinking.

I’m here to tell you that this is not a bad thing!

As a language learner myself I know that you have to challenge yourself. You have to go out and meet new people and have to be willing to make mistakes in your new language. Now that I teach English as well, I can say 100% to any language learner PLEASE MAKE MISTAKES! It is how we learn and people are a lot nicer than you think!

However this doesn’t mean that you have to do it all the time. One of the greatest joys I have known while being abroad is that I have more time to really think about things, whether it is as serious as what my family really means to me, or as simple as who should play striker for Arsenal FC at the weekend. I think it’s great. I can spend whole hours lost inside my own head and if you’re like me, you’ll know what a pleasure it is getting lost in your thoughts.

Taking this time out to relax and think can lead to wonderful things. You can discover what makes you happy, how you really feel about different topics and especially what you don’t know but would like to find out about the world. There are no limits to what you can do.  

So my advice to everyone reading this article is no matter where you are in the world, or what language you are currently thinking in, give yourself some time to walk, sit, travel or whatever you like, but most importantly, give yourself time to simply think. You might just find yourself a lot happier at the end than when you started!

Do you enjoy spending time alone? 

Oliii98's picture
Oliii98 2 January, 2017 - 15:32

I also like spending time alone :) I can play some video games, read, paint or simply sit and listen to music - what can be kind of difficult when others are around. I am not saying I spend all my time alone - when I feel a bit lonely i simply go to see my family or chat with friends on skype :) I don't really enjoy seeing each other, since a lot of my friends like meeting in bigger groups, when i simply prefer to spend time with one or two people at one time.

Ken 30 August, 2015 - 23:54

Definitely, I agree!
Language comes from what we think, otherwise it just might be a kind of noise...?
(=゚ω゚)ノ ---===≡≡≡ ω bra bra bra

AnD's picture
AnD 9 May, 2014 - 07:06

I totally agree with you. That's just like leave all the noises and worries out, sit down and just get lost in something completely beautiful. I used to do it a lot, when I was child. Now I not often have time for it, and my thoughts are often not so clear, because I think about the guy I love, about my friends and so on... and it's just not the right feeling! However, I travel a lot. And nothing can be better for thoughts than trip in a train!

dzeni 21 February, 2014 - 13:19

I do not enjoy spending time alone but sometimes it is useful. Then I can think about something without noise, do homework, listen loud music or read book.

cklj's picture
cklj 19 February, 2014 - 14:39

Yes I've always enjoyed. It's great to be alone, have time just for yourself and opportunity to think about anything. When I'm alone there are so much things for me to do: watch series, dance, sing, paint, write about something or just sitting and enjoying every minute of your precious life.

learningenglish282's picture
learningenglish282 13 January, 2014 - 00:59

Yes I like being alone. that is when i feel free and do whatever i like :) I even can dance, play music and do other crazy things that my parent can not catch and I think im crazy :D
Also, studying when I am alone is more effective than with people around.

MALINE 11 January, 2014 - 15:46

I like being alone you can reflect so many things and you can relaxed and do whatever you want and just enjoy being yourself.

Natalija 10 January, 2014 - 14:19

Yes, I do, definitely. When I'm alone, I can do many things I can't in front of others. I like being home alone. When no one is at home, I put music loud and dance for hours in front of mirror, practice ballet, or do something creative.

Niluh 9 January, 2014 - 16:00

Yes, i do. I enjoy being in my room alone, sit in front of computer, listen to music and learn languages. I agree that it's so relaxing, i can talk to myself, think what i have to do next and remember what i did before.

serap's picture
serap 9 January, 2014 - 18:18

You're absolutely right! We can do something that we cannot do along people and when it's crowded around us. It is the best way to relax some. We can be relax without noise!

serap's picture
serap 9 January, 2014 - 15:51

Yes, I enjoy! Especially, I enjoy being alone when I write something in English. While studying English and writing poems in English, I prefer to be alone in my room.