My Funny Valentine

21
JohnR

It's panic time! If you have as bad a memory as I do then you will be shocked to learn that it's 14th February, Valentine's Day!

Valentine's Day is the day dedicated to the person that we love. We buy them presents and a card to tell them that we love them. It is when we go for walks along the beach, eat a romantic dinner at a restaurant and a lot of people propose (a bit cheesy!). Valentine's Day is also where we are brave and tell that person that we fancy the truth. If we have a crush on someone then Valentine's Day is the perfect chance to tell that person how we feel and whether they feel the same. We have nothing to lose.

Of course, for people like me who are a bit forgetful Valentine's Day is a day of stress. We try to find any possible romantic card from a shop that might relate to our significant other or try to find a restaurant that isn't fully booked.

One rather sad part of living abroad is that it can be very difficult on a relationship. I am an extremely lucky guy and have been with my girlfriend for over four and a half years. We have always been together during that time. Now that I live in Spain and she stays in the UK it can be very challenging. I have seen many relationships fall apart because of distance so I am very lucky that we are strong enough to keep strong. This distance allows me a special opportunity. Instead of flowers, chocolates and a dinner at a restaurant, this Valentine's Day I can think about what is most important about this day. For me, it is all about her and everything we have done together. From living together after a few months and her scaring me with a chair during the first week, right up until recently where she helped me say goodbye to my grandfather. My family say she is part of our family and I feel very proud of her for always standing beside me and supporting me.

This Valentine's Day, tell that special person that you love them. Let them know how you feel. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain. I know that my girlfriend reads these articles I write (she is a native Slovak and English is her third language) so I want to thank her for always being there for me. I hope she will be 'My Funny Valentine' this year and for many more to come.

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day? Or is there another special day in your country to celebrate love? 

iva10 14 June, 2015 - 18:44

Hi John R
Thanks for that advice it helped me. You are good when it comes to love. But I didn't told him that I like him, because I think that he's everything telling his whole class so I'm a little emberresed. Thank you anyway :)

Elsa007 15 June, 2015 - 01:21

Hello iva10, interesting comment, but my English is not so good...... Will you tell me a bit further about what you mean??

Hmm... interesting! a very nice story! but I don't celebrate Valentine's day! Although many people in my country celebrate it but very less!

Elsa007 15 February, 2015 - 10:10

I'm jealous, so romantic! How lucky you are to have found your precious one! What a lovely article!
There's one thing I'm curious about... what happened with 'a chair'?

JohnR's picture
JohnR 16 February, 2015 - 07:43

We had just moved into our new apartment. The lights weren´t very good. I left my bedroom to go to the bathroom and she was leaving the kitchen with a chair at the same time. I walked out of the room, looked to my left, and all I could see was someone with a chair above their head.

She was walking very quietly and I didn´t notice until it was too late. I was so used to living alone that seeing someone with a chair in the hall scared me and I panicked. Luckily 5 minutes later we found it very funny. It is one of our first stories as a couple and is always funny to remember.

:D

iva10 14 February, 2015 - 17:41

Yes i celebrate Valentines day.My friends wrote a letter to a boy who i like,and they wrote my name on it .I won t tell his name ,but now he nos that i like him.

JohnR's picture
JohnR 16 February, 2015 - 07:45

That is not a bad thing. You should try to tell him yourself. It is better to try than not to try at all. If you risk it then at least you will know the result instead of never knowing. Good luck!

John

JohnR's picture
JohnR 16 February, 2015 - 07:47

We all have different cultural days and each one is unique. Some are fun, some are serious and some are very very special. I normally don´t do a lot on Valentine´s Day but it is an opportunity for me to appreciate everything that my girlfriend does for me.

What other special days do you celebrate?

Tunisian123's picture
Tunisian123 16 February, 2015 - 18:00

Hello sir...in fact Arabic's special day is the Birth of Muhamed(God bless him and grant his.peace),this day is as Christmas to Christian,that i really respect all of Christian's special day..but this day varies according to the Arab Islamic New Year.. That come in late December of each year nearly 22..that is our special day wich Our worship to God Almighty and increase closer to God...!!!
Thank you for asking me...that was a really intresting and great quedtion..!!!!

iva10 14 February, 2015 - 17:48

Why do you hate Valentines day.Did someone hurt you feelings or something.I have a advice for you get over it .Please like Valentines day again.If you need more advices i will give you ,because i m good in that.I now to listen and then i say the solution.

Tunisian123's picture
Tunisian123 15 February, 2015 - 14:58

Hi...in my country and in all the Arabic Countries...you don't a lot of people who celebrate in this day....and because of my religion..i think that God didn't say about this evening and it's not one of our traductional days..our special day is the birthday of Muhamed! "
Have a good day! ! :))

iva10 14 June, 2015 - 18:52

I'm sorry because of that. I didn't mean to upset you. If you ever come in another country maybe you will see husbands bying roses or chocolate for their wife's. ;-)

ISA0702's picture
ISA0702 13 February, 2015 - 14:41

So romantic<3I do like somebody but not courageous enough to tell him how I feel.
I can't stand the way you're smiling~~ extracted from CURIOSITY :(
I'm SWIFTIES though

JohnR's picture
JohnR 16 February, 2015 - 07:50

Thank you! :D

Be brave! Tell them that you like them. It is better to risk it than to never know whether they like you or not. After all my time not taking the risk I always regret it. You can´t lose anything from trying. Either they like you back or they don´t. If they don´t then at least you know.

Be brave. Go to them, take a deep breath to calm yourself, and ask if you can talk to them for a second. Tell them him how you feel. It will be fine :)

John

Ken 15 June, 2015 - 07:16

Hi John, I heard you are good when it comes to love, right? Maybe i need some advice... The other day, my girlftiend said to me, "i'm wondering how much we're caring for each other!?" I'm caring for her very much on my soul! I don't know why she talked to me like that. What's the point of her words?? Someone said that hapiness is not a goal but a process. Do you agree with that JohnR? Is it what she wants?? There's a lot to learn to grow, isn't there?!