New year, new me!

GraceL

"New year, new me" is a phrase you often hear in the UK on the first of January. It is very common to start a new year's resolution on this day. This can be to give something up, like sweets or chocolate, so you can be healthier. People also like to start doing something new, like taking up a new hobby or going to the gym, so you can get fitter. There are so many things you can do! Most of the people I know decide to join a gym and eat healthier food as their new year's resolution. Many gain weight after the Christmas period as they often eat a lot of fattening food!

I think new year's resolutions are a great idea to give people the motivation to do something good for themselves. When a lot of other people also have a resolution it helps you to stick to your own. A resolution to get fit could be done between a group of friends. They could arrange to go jogging a couple of times a week. Group resolutions can be so much more fun! In the past I have given up chocolate, stopped eating meat, recycled more, joined a gym and started karate! Some of these things I soon gave up on, not eating chocolate for example, and some I persevered with and still do now. I think it is important to choose something that is realistic for you. 

This year my resolution is to travel less by plane. Living in the UK, it was very difficult to travel without a car and not by plane but now that I live in Germany I find it much easier to travel long distances by another mode of transport. There are more environmentally friendly options that I can choose like travelling by train or bus and though it is more expensive, I know that I will be damaging the environment much less.

Topics: 

Do you have a new year's resolution? How do you think you can achieve it? 

Sorry420's picture
Sorry420 26 January, 2017 - 14:17

Yes I have some plan for new year resolution. I wrote a note in my diary new year plan and I like sharing with us.

1. Earlier go to bed and earlier wake up in the morning time.
2. Eat Healthy foods and avoid junk food.
3.Join a Gym and doing physical exercise everyday.
4.I want more learning English language .
5.Spend more with my family and friend.
6. I like to started playing outdoor activities sport and avoid playing video games.
7. This summer holidays my family plan to travel in Dubai Country.
8. I am try my best to complete my all plan in this year.

DearSky's picture
DearSky 28 January, 2016 - 13:27

I don't have a new year resolution, but I know it's really important to write down your goals for the year in a paper and keep this paper in a safe place where you can find and read it at the end of the year. It's important to be very specific and realistic when you set a goal. I know some people that wrote their goals down and suddenly they realized that what they wished just happened and they don't even notice.

LuckyLakeBlackbird's picture
LuckyLakeBlackbird 11 January, 2016 - 15:48

I have got some new year resolutions too:
-eat more healthy food
-spend more time for learning for school
-be nice to everyone

I make resolutions every new year, but I often foret them.But this year I will keep them!

drhhnmaa's picture
drhhnmaa 1 January, 2016 - 11:21

Happy New Year Everyone!! I wish you all a very blessed and a happy year where all your wishes and dreams come true! Hope 2016 brings each and everyone wonderful memories to be cherished throughout your lives!
my resolution in 2016 is to decrease weight , doing exercise, taken healthy diet daily and read more and more about different fields

Rahma097's picture
Rahma097 14 September, 2014 - 13:02

Yes! I've made my own resolutions. First goal; It's my last year in high school and I'm graduating in less than 270 days thats's why I'm working on myself to improve essential things like my language -English of course- so by the end of the year I would be prepared to take IELTS, I guess. Second goal: I really really want to be more healthier and fitter so I've decided from now on to start being on a healthy lifestyle and seriously there's no going back in this. Third goal: to become a better everything -daughter, sister, friend and a student even-

GraceL's picture
GraceL 18 September, 2014 - 20:20

It's never too late to make resolutions and yours sounds great! English is certainly very useful and being fit and healthy is also commendable! :)

dzeni 21 February, 2014 - 13:10

I made New Year`s resolutions many times but after two or tree months I forgot on it. This year I will try to keep it. My resolutions are next:
1. I will try to improve my knowledge of foreign languages
2. eat healthy food
3. relax more
4. more sport and less tv and computer
5. stop gosip and be a better person

GraceL's picture
GraceL 6 March, 2014 - 20:05

Hey dzeni! These sound like great resolutions! I wish you the best of luck and hope you can keep them :)

GraceL's picture
GraceL 24 February, 2014 - 15:17

They sound like good resolutions! I am sure you will be able to keep your first resolution, especially if you keep using LearnEnglishTeens! :)

justcricketforme 26 January, 2014 - 04:42

Yes plenty resolutions. My biggest goal is to watch and play cricket a bit less and practise for my O levels which aren't very far!

GraceL's picture
GraceL 6 February, 2014 - 14:33

Good luck with your O levels! Finding a balance between studying and hobbies can be hard but it's good to have a break from studying sometimes!

beyourself15rock's picture
beyourself15rock 22 January, 2014 - 23:42

Yes, I have a new year's resolution. I want many things this year too :)
I want to eat healthier food. I want to workout in spring. To read more. And less copmuter!!
I want to be better friend, better daughter, better sister. BETTER PERSON!
And I really hope it will be successful. :)

Natalija 10 January, 2014 - 14:26

Yes, I have many New Year's resolutions. The most important one is to become a better person.
I also want to become principal dancer in my ballet troupe,to become a foreign exchange student. , to learn Greek and improve German, to visit Morocco, to be friendlier, to go earlier to bed and to take more care for my health.

GraceL's picture
GraceL 10 January, 2014 - 20:46

They sound like great resolutions! I can definitely recommend being a foreign exchange student. It helps your language skills improve a lot!

QueenD's picture
QueenD 9 January, 2014 - 20:58

My goal this year is to lose weight,and become a better player in volleyball.I'm going to achieve it running every morning and working out,and for volleyball I'll try my best to watch pro players so I can be better. I said to everyone I'll do and I'm gonna show them I can do it

GraceL's picture
GraceL 10 January, 2014 - 07:28

It's great to choose a resolution you are passionate about and it sounds like it's something that is very important to you :)

Niluh 9 January, 2014 - 15:14

Yes, I've made some resolutions. I try to stick with them and remember what my goal is this year. One of my resolutions is learn English seriously, when i feel bored and lazy, my resolutions make me realize that i have to achieve what i've promised to myself.