New Year's resolutions

9
NatalieA

It’s that time of year again. Everyone has eaten their weight in chocolate, presents have been given and copious amounts of time have been spent with loved ones. It’s time to say goodbye to this year and hello to the new one!

Every year millions of people around the world look toward the New Year with a new sense of hope and excitement. And with that comes the inevitable ‘New Year’s resolution’. Questions are coming in thick and fast: what’re you going to be doing this year? What is your New Year’s resolution? For most of us, we probably have been too busy to think about that. And for the sceptics amongst us, the question will be answered with a ‘well, what’s the point, nobody can stick to them anyway.’

But that’s not true. The fact is that you may be doing it wrong! What people don’t realise is that no matter how well intentioned the resolution, if it’s not specific enough, then it simply won’t stick.
Compare these two resolutions:

1. To learn English
  2. To do an English grammar exercise every day

Which do you think is more attainable? The first open-ended resolution? Or the second more specific resolution?

Your resolution needs to be something that you can achieve and something simple. If you choose to give up all sweet foods, unless you’re superhuman, the chances are that sooner or later that sweet chocolate goodness is going to find its way to you. But if you choose to cut down on chocolate and eat, for example, only one chocolate bar a week, then it’s more realistic.

So this year, yes, push yourselves! Think about something you’ve always wanted to do, something you can see yourself doing in the coming year, whether that’s improving your English, learning a new skill or playing a new sport! But make your resolution something specific, something you can measure, and check your progress. Go ahead, challenge yourself! And then stick to it! Head into the New Year with new energy and excitement and become the you that you want to be!

What are your New Year's resolutions? 

luluedu's picture
luluedu 2 January, 2019 - 20:36

well, this year, which BTW we´re in, I intend:

1. Be a student better and get great grades.
2. To improve my english skills
3. Take much time to pray and read the bible.
4. Be nicer with my friends, my parents and etc.

I´m from Brazil guys, and I loved this web site!

Darksouls's picture
Darksouls 22 May, 2016 - 01:42

I wanna Learn French
I want to get a degree in English
I wanna go to the gym and get in shape

DaryMar's picture
DaryMar 1 January, 2015 - 15:39

I absolutely agree with all resolutions in this picture, except "drink less" because i hate drink! *-*

famz97's picture
famz97 31 December, 2014 - 15:34

For 2015 resolution for my self: Pass the nation exam with great value (and no cheat) and be student in University of Indonesia (Universitas Indonesia)/ University of Padjajaran (Universitas Padjadjajaran)^^, Be Better for my self and my environment (nation and religion).. for All (My Country especially): rise up and be the great country! Huff! I am sorry, I hope this sentences can be understand.

Monisa's picture
Monisa 31 December, 2014 - 08:07

I am not sure whether the resolutions in the picture are the author's or not, but I am determined to accomplish the first one!!

AmjadA143's picture
AmjadA143 30 December, 2014 - 19:08

First of all I will look at the last year 2014 that i spent. I'll see my good and bad habits. I will change myself. I will give up my bad habits. then i will try to stop the evil activities in my city. I will do such work/acts that are very good for me and my family. i hope new year will be very good for me and country.