Protecting the Giant Panda

24
JoEditor

The giant panda is everyone’s best friend. They are cute, cuddly and lots of fun. In China the word for panda is 大熊貓 (dà xióng māo), meaning “large bear cat", and they are famous around the world for eating bamboo and for their soft black and white fur. But recently they have been counted and there are only about 1600 left in the wild. So why are there so few remaining?

Pandas like to live in quiet bamboo forests away from humans. But their habitat (the bamboo forest) is also wanted by people to build roads and homes to live. Because of this their habitat is becoming smaller and there is less space for pandas to find food and shelter.

Pandas have now been named an endangered species, this means that there is a chance there could be no more left in the wild if we don’t look after them.  But being an endangered species means they receive a lot of protection and many people are working to help them find the right habitat.

Many pandas now live in nature reserves where their habitat is protected. In a nature reserve people cannot build roads or houses or cut down the pandas bamboo forests. This gives them more space to move around and find food without coming into contact with humans.

These nature reserves are helping pandas to find enough food and shelter to live safely. Thanks to their creation, the number of pandas in the wild is slowly increasing and it is hoped they will continue to grow in number to reach a safe level again.

Did you know?
The panda makes its home in bamboo forests in southwest China.
Pandas love bamboo. They will eat for half the day and 99% of their diet is made up of bamboo.
Pandas are an endangered species. This means they are on a list of animals that need to be protected.
There are now only about 1600 pandas left in the wild.

Question
Do you think it is important to protect the giant panda?
Sources:
BBC News Viewpoints: Should we give up trying to save the panda?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15691450
World Wildlife Fund: Giant Panda Overview
http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/finder/giantpanda/panda.html
World Wildlife Fund: Adopt an Endangered Panda:
http://www.wwf.org.uk/adoption/pandathreat/index.cfm?pc=AJB004001&gclid=CMPv6P3TvKwCFckF4godBg4moA
National Geographic: Giant Panda
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/giant-panda/

Do you like pandas? Do you know anything about endangered species?

AHMED_K's picture
AHMED_K 19 August, 2013 - 00:33

yes i like pandas, however i haven't seen one before, but i really hope to see one in the future, and i will be really sad if they simply disappeared especially, when we are the main reason of that . we also have to protect every single species, because environment needs them to be balanced may be pandas are kind of lucky animals because they are beautiful and big so we will probably protect them but there are other endangered species ,and no one care about them. for example think of a kind of tiny mosquito in africa, no one will ask about it if it's disappeared but the environment will suffer, and when environment suffers, everyone suffers.

happiness_di's picture
happiness_di 22 July, 2013 - 09:08

I like giant pandas and I also like red panda, which called "panda" for the first time)
We should protect them by creating new areas where they would live better

jomia's picture
jomia 2 July, 2013 - 09:44

Ok,,, the first time, I saw the giant panda,I think it don't pretty, and dirty ,not the same as I gress,and very fat. So I say I don't love it .but as we know we should protect them.

jomia's picture
jomia 10 May, 2013 - 06:37

Perhaps in my country I often see them, so I don't think they are so lovely.but it is certain that they should protect.

Natalija 3 April, 2013 - 15:23

I like pandas. I think they're sweat and kind animals. They deserve our attention and our protection. Animals are very important creatures and I think we should give our best to protect them, because they aren't strong enough to survive by themselves. I'd like to take part in some project about endangered species, because I find this problem should be solves as soon as possible. Men's attitude to this problem has to change, because otherwise, this danger will be present in the world in the next century. I'd like people to finally realize the animal's importance and to act due to that.
M.Tayyab, great comment! I like your awareness about this problem and I can see that you're very concerned, as well as I. Hope this problem to be solved in several years.

Ilda G's picture
Ilda G 30 March, 2013 - 23:02

I have made a project about Giant Pandas....
It's very important to protect these endagered specias...

MALINE 9 March, 2013 - 20:32

I love them ,and We should take care of all the animals and not only those wich are in danger all they need our protection and love.

TomaBarteneva's picture
TomaBarteneva 7 February, 2013 - 12:28

I like pandas. They are very nice and kind animals. I am glad that there are people who care about their fate. No animal should not suffer because of us.

DogLover's picture
DogLover 15 December, 2012 - 15:03

I love pandas and i agree that we should fight for endangered species of animals, i am doing my best to help :) <3

m.tayyab's picture
m.tayyab 3 August, 2012 - 07:01

Panda is a lovely animal. It is very bad that the panda is decreasing day by day which is very bad for the nature. All the countries should think about that we are creating problem or becoming the cause for these species. so please it is requested to all the courties who have the natural beauty like panda and many other endagered species, take cares of them for the beautiful future. thanks.

Pushon Mahmud's picture
Pushon Mahmud 3 May, 2012 - 19:20

Really we should save pandas. Otherwise our ecology would be imbalanced.