The Royal Family

RosemaryM

The Queen, and her family, are well-known worldwide. This is in part due to the influence of the British Empire; during the colonial era, many countries across the globe were under British rule. People often said that "the sun never sets on the British Empire" - this was because due to the expanse of the British Empire, the sun would always be shining on one of its territories. Whilst the British Empire has ceased to exist, the formation of the Commonwealth of Nations means that Queen Elizabeth 2nd is the monarch, or ruler, of countries besides just those that make up the United Kingdom.

In the UK today, the British public tends to be rather fond of the Queen. Since most other European countries don't have a monarchy, we feel proud of ours. In 2012, we celebrated the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Across the United Kingdom, celebrations took place. There were street parties in local communities and also official festivities taking place up and down the country. Since Kate Middleton joined the Royal Family (by marrying Prince William), lots of younger people have become interested in the monarchy. Kate Middleton is not royal by birth; this makes her someone which the public can relate to. The British press print lots of articles on what she wears and how to achieve her look. The birth of Prince George also resulted in celebrations, alongside the sale of lots of products with pictures of his face on. 

The Royal Family also has an important role in tourism for the UK. Lots of people visiting London head to Buckingham Palace in the hope that they'll catch a glimpse of the Queen. There are often big crowds, with many people attempting to take selfies with the palace. When people think of the UK, they often think of the Queen as she is such an iconic figure. There is also a picture of her face on every coin and note in our currency.

The Queen has several other residences. She spends Christmas at Sandringham in Norfolk (east England). She also takes summer breaks in Scotland, at Balmoral Castle. Windsor Castle is another official royal residence, which has been used for centuries by royals.

We are so proud of our royal family that our national anthem is, essentially, a homage to our Queen (or King, depending on who is currently on the throne!). I hope that as a nation we continue to be proud of our heritage and culture; although many feel ashamed of our colonial past, there is now time to make amends and help other nations. 

Does your country have a royal family? 

HannaMarin's picture
HannaMarin 21 April, 2015 - 15:56

If i think about UK, I definitely think of queen. I think it's great that some nations still have (or even had - we've never had royal family as UK; in the past (but REALLY long ago) we had emperor, but other lands had supremacy over Slovenia then, so that wasn't really our royal family).
So I'm quite interesting in UK royal family. Is there any chance there would be more articles about it (and also a family tree), because I'd like to know more about it.

My drema to see Buckingham Palace will come true - next week I'm going to London with school. I'm so happy and excited about it!! :D

Whatabout politics in Slovenia? We have democrasy and our president is Borut Pahor. As Argentina we also don't have him on a coin (there are important persons from the past, animals typical for Slovenia, Triglav (mountain, our symbol)...).

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 22 April, 2015 - 12:35

Hi HannaMarin,

As Tina has said, there are a couple more articles about the royal family on this site. If you want to know more about the royal family's history and the members of the current royal family, I would recommend this site: https://www.royal.gov.uk/. This is a site run by the UK government, which is full of lots of interesting information about the Queen and her family. You can see a family tree (from Queen Victoria's reign to the present day) by following this link: https://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/Windsor%20family%20tree.pdf.

Enjoy your trip to London!

HannaMarin's picture
HannaMarin 22 April, 2015 - 17:08

Ooo! Thanks (for everithing)!

The family tree is interesting as well as the site. The English is quite understandable and I think I'll gain some new vocabulary as well.

Thanks again! :)

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 20 April, 2015 - 09:33

well not now.but i find the historical royal families veru interesting as they brave through hardships of battlegrounds and such issues found in todays srilankan society.

No we don,t have royal family! but before partition of India and Pakistan the the subcontinent had a Royal Family that were the Mughals!

niky_02nqn's picture
niky_02nqn 18 April, 2015 - 01:20

In Argentina we don't have a royal family, but yes, we've been colonised by a king from Spain centuries ago!
Now, we have a president. Her name is very famous. She is Cristina Fernández. We have and live in democracy since 1983 and it's the best political system that I've ever seen. In democracy, people is free to vote to their gobernantes and is free in all ways.
We don't have a picture of Christina's face on a coin or a billet but we have other important things and people, like Evita Perón's face (she was the wife of the Argentina's president in 1946).