Saying goodbye to friends

23
GraceL

As some of you may know, I am currently on my year abroad in Germany as part of my university course. From my introductory course at the beginning of my time here, I had the chance to meet so many new people and make lots of new friends. This can often be hard when moving to a new country, or in fact, just moving homes or schools. It is almost like starting a new life and it can be daunting at first and feel quite lonely. I knew that when I moved to Germany I should be open and friendly and, as everyone says, “say yes to everything”! This is certainly what I have done since moving here and I have made some great friends along the way.

Next week a friend of mine is moving to Spain for the next part of her year abroad as she studies both Spanish and German. I am envious of the weather she will experience in Spain and that she will be living near a beach and have a lot of fun but I also feel for her as she will have to start a new life in another new country. I feel as though, after six months, I now live in Germany rather than just being here for a long visit. I know in my last few months in Germany I will feel a lot more relaxed and at home.

My group of friends and I had a surprise party to say goodbye to our friend leaving for Spain. We made her a scrapbook with photos and memories of her time here so that she could take it with her and so that she wouldn’t forget us! We hope that she has a wonderful time and that she will make lots of new friends and settle into her new home. 

Have you ever had to say goodbye to a friend? Do you think it's easy to stay in contact with friends?

hadia 30 June, 2016 - 18:36

"Tears from the depth of some divine despair,
Rise from my heart and gather into my eyes;
Looking at the happy autumn fields,
And thinking of the days that are no more."
-Anonymous

Hmp.....The lines that I wrote in my BFF's diary on the last day at my school ;)
Yeah, it's not easy to leave a long term friendship and say good bye to friends! Me and my friends, we had the most amazing group, back at school. We were a group of eight girls. It wasn't easy to leave each other as, we had been friends for more than 12 years.....since Kindergarten.
So yeah, we cried a lot ;( it was a memorable yet gloomy day for us. As we were leaving each other. In our whole school life, we had never entertained any idea of leaving. As, we thought, we would stay together forever.! Children are quite innocent! He-he-he.
Now, everyone has dispersed. They attend different High Schools now. We really miss each other. Thanks to the social media that keeps us connected. But leaving friends is leaving a great part of your life. :)

Drhappy's picture
Drhappy 23 May, 2016 - 04:02

The most sadness of saying goodbye is saying goodbye forever. When your friend was going to the heaven, you knew that you never have any chance to see them. If you know your friend is exist in the world, and you have chance to meet them, you're the most happy people in taking leave friend :)

AlexZar's picture
AlexZar 20 March, 2016 - 16:54

I didn't have an experience like this but if i had i would fell lonely and i would give him photos with me and him from all the years that we've been together.Also i would try to keep in contact with him so i wouldn't forget him :(

gianggiang 20 March, 2016 - 10:49

Everything will fade, only friendship remains. ( Thomas Carlyle )
But : Sadness flies away on the wing of time ( La Fontaine )
Therefore,
if friendship is sadness, having to say goodbye to a friend(ship) make you upset, let it fly.
if friendship is happiness, you don't need to grip it as it never flies away from you.
But, friendship is neither sadness nor happiness, it depends on you :v, on your behaviour. Friendship fades when you're negligent of your good friend and blossoms when you keep in contact frequently.

junzi0phan's picture
junzi0phan 11 November, 2015 - 09:42

i remember when i was primary school i have so much friends we learn and play together i have much fun with them and then the year I 8 years old my parents decided to move to a big city but I dont want to I have cryed a lot and my mom told me if we move to that city I can have a new school better new friends and I will like that place. i know i dont have a choice the day we leave I don't have time to say goodbye to my friends i think they also dont know i go , after then i never talk to them anymore i also dont have their phone number. then i live in a new house, a city so much car so much people and so noise but i feel so lonely i cant forget that time at school i dont have anyone to talk its hard for me to make new friends at home my parents too buzy for work sometimes i feel like I was abandoned at such times i really miss my friends miss the days we play football, swimming in a river go to school together. and now seven years was pass i have so much new friends have a good life but cant forget they, they will be in my heart forever . and I'm sorry for not to say goodbye and I also don't want to say that I will come back one day. !

iva10 23 August, 2015 - 10:19

Yes i had.She was our classmate and then she moved and also had to go to a school that 's not far away where she lives.I'we seen her once but we're not in contack.

mycebeci's picture
mycebeci 30 June, 2015 - 13:02

Every human like a different world , also different culture , different life style.I am so happy, because of i have too much different worlds , and also each of them different color like a rainbow...It affects on my mood well. I love my friend , and ı have more unforgetable times with them. I dont want to thought life withouth them.

agogoladze's picture
agogoladze 6 March, 2015 - 18:32

As a person who moves around a lot I have to meet,get to know,then say goodbye to lots of people.I make friends thinking,that we'll be friends forever and suddenly I've to "break everything off".Of course it's really hard to say goodbye to a friend,who you think'll be forever with you.Despite of having many social networks it's not easy to keep in touch with friend after moving.I've lost so many friend and I think that if my parents don't stop changing our living places,I'll lose much more.

Lavender 8 March, 2015 - 02:34

I agree with you agogoladze. Although nowadays we have a lot of means to connect with people, It's not easy to keep in touch with our friends after moving. It's even more difficult to stay intimate :(

Ginny's picture
Ginny 19 December, 2014 - 13:32

I had a friend elder than me nearly 5 years elder. we were not just best friends we were just like sisters. we just were so close with each other but when she reached grade 12 i couldn't be in contact with her.I missed her a lot so i sent her mails but she would see it only once in a blue moon so i missed her but she said she would spends loads of time with me once she completes her public exams so i am waiting so eagerly for that time.Just want to say LOVE U my dear friend..................

Rockyy's picture
Rockyy 30 August, 2014 - 10:30

Our school has got Comenius Project. So me and my three friends have been to Taormina. It was really beautiful!! And I've stayed with Sicilian family. They were really good people and they have got good heart i love them <3 then when we must leave from Taormina, I must say goodbye to Gloria and her lovely family.. I miss them so much <3

GraceL's picture
GraceL 18 September, 2014 - 20:25

That sounds like it was a brilliant opportunity. It is great when you can make friends on projects suchs as yours and other exhchanges!

Vu's picture
Vu 15 July, 2014 - 02:27

I graduated from my high school in the countryside where I had a lot of wonderful memories with my close friends. Now I remember them so much because the memories has been so deeply in my mind.
I hope someday I will meet them. So I really need close friends who I can share the happiness and sorrow in life.
Thanks all people who had read my writing.

MALINE 14 June, 2014 - 16:54

When I was at Elementary school I had to move and I had to say goodbye to my friends,it was really difficult because I met them since kinder,I really had a rough time.

bekhruz's picture
bekhruz 13 March, 2014 - 17:01

it is really difficult to say goodbye to your close friends but I think to move to another place and live there it's great idea. Let me tell more about it. When you move to another place you of course feel a little bit worry but a few mounths or may be years you'll get used to live there . In my opinion, it's not so difficult to make friends...

GraceL's picture
GraceL 6 March, 2014 - 19:58

I can relate to what you've said Niluh. Thank you for your comment. It is easy to lose contact with friends when you don't see them often!

dzeni 4 March, 2014 - 13:02

Yes, I have. When I finished Year 3 I have to go to another school and I find out it during summer holiday. It was really difficult to say goodbay to friends, school and teacher. I lost contact with them and now I am sorry. But in new school I meet new friends and they help me to manage. I am very happy there.

Niluh 3 March, 2014 - 15:49

Yes, i have. That was when i had to move since graduating from junior high school, i had a great time with my friends during junior high school, we spent time almost all things together, i couldn't even find new friends as my old friends. It was really sad!
I can say that's not easy to stay in touch with friends, i have lost contact with some of my close friends.