The selfie craze continues

18
ReganS

Every time I log into social media nowadays I am greeted by the faces of my friends and public figures. They might be at an event, standing in front of an iconic landmark, eating something yummy, or showing off a new outfit or hair style. Increasingly these faces are being seen in selfie form.

The Oxford Dictionary, which chose "selfie" as its word of the year in 2013, defines a selfie as "a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website". With the growing use of social media and recent technological developments it has never been easier to take a selfie and share it with anyone you want. In fact people are going to extreme lengths to take the "perfect selfie" by, for example, assembling large groups of people for one shot, photobombing celebrities or, more worryingly, putting themselves in dangerous situations! For the individual there are many reasons why they chose to take it. They may be in a cool location (I can happily admit to posting many selfies from in front of the Eiffel Tower). They may be with friends or family. They may just be feeling really good about the way they look that day!

Whatever your opinion, it has recently become evident that the selfie craze can be used to do much good. It can be a great way to draw attention to serious issues as some people may be more likely to hear about something through an image popping up on their newsfeed rather than purposely seeking out a news story. Recently, various UK charities have raised large amounts of money after being advertised by celebrities posing in selfies whilst holding notices explaining how to donate to the charity. Similarly there has been a growing interest in people posting selfies to social media as a sort of advertisement for a charity. The idea is for people who post a selfie to donate a small amount of money to the charity and encourage their friends to do the same. The selfie may have a theme such as the recent 'no make-up selfie' idea which raised millions of pounds for cancer research charities in the UK. Even if they do not donate money to the charity, they are still raising awareness!

Whether you're a fan or not, it is clear that the selfie is having a huge impact on how we communicate with the world today.

What do you think about selfies? Do you think the craze will last for a long time?  

iva10 21 August, 2015 - 20:56

I don't like selfies.Some people just like to photographe them selfes.Maybu it won't last long because people can get bored of taking pictures of them selfes.But that's only my opinion.

Elsa007 23 August, 2015 - 03:46

I buy your opinion!
Interestingly, the other day I saw a man who was taking the original selfless for himself by setting a timer at a distance. It wasn't easy to take but I'm sure its's much better as a picture!
Sometimes I think that we, consumers nowadays, are easily led to monkey around for the profits that the manufactures pursuit… But that's only my opinion. ツ

Negar1995's picture
Negar1995 13 July, 2014 - 08:36

selfie is good but you cant have new gestures in it and all the gestures are the same.!!

littledolphin's picture
littledolphin 9 June, 2014 - 21:44

I think selfies are good because people can take selfies anywhere. I love taking selfies of me and with friends,than If I like a photo what we take I post this photo on facebook or instagram,you can post on twitter too,but I haven't got a twitter profile...I think the best cameras for taking selfies are retrica and camwow (on my phone),I like RETRICA,because retrica has got more effects than other cameras for selfies.I like instagram effects too.

Elsa007 23 August, 2015 - 04:19

Sometimes I think…. the more people enjoy selfless, instagram and other fake images (I would say), the more the ways that people look at the same thing vary leaving aside the objectivity. But what is 'the reality' in the first place...??

diegbonilla's picture
diegbonilla 5 June, 2014 - 16:59

the esperienced the same thing as you,my account in Facebook is full of selfie as well and i think it's a great idea when selfie and charity work together.

Pm2001's picture
Pm2001 5 June, 2014 - 11:51

I think selfies are good because you can take selfies of your own or with your friends. You can also put them on websites like: facebook, twitter, or even instagram. More people are taking selfies with their phone than with their computers because its easier and better. I really like to do selfies on my phone on app witch is called 'Retrica' or 'cam wow'. Later when selfie is good im putting this on facebook and instagram.

studient's picture
studient 5 June, 2014 - 11:49

I my view the selfies are a good thing , because you can take photos with your friends and uploaded on facebook

Ganesdita's picture
Ganesdita 31 May, 2014 - 13:12

I think selfie is not a strange things that happen in this era. It just become the part of people's activities . whenever and wherever they are. Sometimes I felt annoyed when some people captured selfie and posted them to the socmed. In fact, I'm the kind of selfie too :D. But I never post my selfie photos to the internet at all becauseI don't want to make people annoyed to see my face :)

JairHan's picture
JairHan 29 May, 2014 - 01:26

I find it interesting that through a selfie may help raise funds or is a support to an organization that has thought of doing good deeds and is something that is fun and I think nobody would bother

Esme341's picture
Esme341 28 May, 2014 - 02:32

I think the selfies existed before, only now became famous because everyone takes them.

diebalbuena's picture
diebalbuena 27 May, 2014 - 05:15

I like it because it's fun and entertaining to be with friends and family. is very good

GerardG9's picture
GerardG9 26 May, 2014 - 23:18

capture an selfie is funny, if you do it with friends can be more fun, this phenomenon has taken over social networks, now every time I go to facebook I find many selfie's

Niluh 26 May, 2014 - 11:59

I have experienced the same thing as you, my account in Facebook is full of selfie as well and i think it's a great idea when selfie and charity work together, people will raise money for charity by doing selfie, something that they love and get use to do.