Street dogs in Chile: are they a problem?

16
ChloeBlogger

When I go to a new place the first thing I like to do is walk around the streets, to explore and get lost in the city. When I first arrived in Santiago, Chile, and took a walk around the city centre, one of the first things I noticed was how many stray dogs there were. The phrase 'street dog' or 'stray dog' is used to describe a dog with no home, who lives on the streets.

On every corner there was a sleeping dog. At every traffic light there was a dog waiting to cross. By every shop there was a dog waiting for food. At first I was nervous as I thought they might be aggressive or unfriendly. However, I have been here for more than a year now and every stray dog I have seen has been passive, quiet and friendly.

The dogs are accepted and welcomed here in Chile. I have never seen a street dog being mistreated. In fact, they are often given food and water by the public. Some people even make jackets for the dogs or put out beds or kennels for them to sleep in.

The dogs do not have an easy life: they are often hungry, cold or injured. The government does not provide much care for these dogs.

Some people believe that the situation is getting out of control and that it is unacceptable to have so many dogs on the streets. The dogs can sometimes cause problems such as car accidents if they run into the road. There are an estimated 2.5 million stray dogs in Chile and the canine population is growing faster than the human population. Many Chileans think that all the stray dogs should be sterilised so that they cannot breed. Others think that the stray dog population should be culled (i.e. reducing the population by killing them).

The future of street dogs is uncertain but for now it looks like they are here to stay, with their population expanding year by year.

Do you think that stray dogs are a problem? What should we do about them?

ariina's picture
ariina 10 June, 2017 - 12:13

in my city there is a lot of street dog who their rural owners migrate and release them...
nobody pay attention to them and they are hungry until suddenly find food...
some people say kill them but i'm 100% disagree...I think we should build a special Haven for care and cure them there I think this is only way...

1 user has voted.
SLMT's picture
SLMT 21 May, 2017 - 17:31

My country ,Myanmar, is as same as Chile. There's alot of street dongs in Myanmar. U can see street dogs almost everywhere. A lot of people don't like street dogs and they want to kill them without trying sterilising.Almost all of street dogs doen't give trouble.They are even very friendly and royal to human.If I have a house with large compound,I will take care of street dogs at my home.The street dogs also deserve to be loved.

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 7 May, 2017 - 04:24

Street dogs look creepy sometimes to me. Especially when they howl after I watch a ghost movie. They sleep in my street, and love the smell of my lunch box. I stay away from them particularly for that reason. But sometimes, pity conquers fear. I do give food to them. And I don't think sterilizing could solve the problem, because they say that sixty percent of the dogs are in the streets. Hence it would be better, if food mixed with the rabies shot is IP laced in every street. Or else anyone could call an animal home or so to pick them up...

Ken 8 May, 2017 - 14:59

Oh no.... "pity conquers fear"??
You know, "pity" is tricky, as people often say "Better to be dislked than pited", or "Pity and friendship is two passions imcompatible with each other"
But..... they are street dogs, they do want food anyway rather than emotions!?
━━Σ(ll゚艸゚ll)━━━

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 14 May, 2017 - 11:35

Ken, I think I disagree. They say it's better to be disliked than pitied. So, where would the old people who are beggers go? They aren't strong enough. How would they survive. And it's the same with dogs. You know it touched me when I saw this video. I don't know if it's still there, I saw it a long time ago. So there was this dog in the street which cursed, kicked, beaten by the residents of a high rise apartment. One day, that dog was missing. People at first were happy, but then they noticed the change. There were a lot of thefts, and the people checked the CCTV footage. The dog, it seems, protected the people from the robbers, risking it's own life. One day, when a big fang rounded up the flats, the dog faced it single-handed and died in the attempt. But the robbers left the place, thus leaving the apartment. I immediately ran outside and dropped a chocolate bar in my street for the dogs. So you see, pity is nothing wrong. It is wrong only if you have the choice of pity and pride and we choose pity. :)))

Ken 15 May, 2017 - 15:56

Hi catastrophe,
Thanks for your comment, but... I think our argument is not in the right ballpark, istn't it?
Actually I haven't watched the horrible video you are talking about, and if I were a dog, I would be empathized than pitied and I would cry for food than for someone's pity! How about you? Personally, I'm not much for the word 'pity' which is somewhat suggestive of strong-week or conquerors-unconquerors composition. In addition, I don't know why but, I've often got easily taken in by someone who evoked my pity! It's a pity! Indeed, "pity" is triky to me!
Anyway, I know that the word "pity" is not the point in your first comment. I think you are a man of philanthropic, right? In this world nowadays, anyone can potentailly become a stray dog...
Ah, what a pity!
(# `)3')▃▃▃▅▆▇▉

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 21 May, 2017 - 12:21

Yeah, you're right. I bet you wouldn't have, 'cause I watched it a couple of years ago. And I too don't like being pitied. It irritates me when someone says like "OMG you're so pitiable" and make that sad face. But sometimes I give myself in just because someone needs something that I have more than me. For example, when one of my friends, who was learning badminton, was in a state of losing, I decided not to hit a few shots and eventually, we were caught in a draw. It must be a small defeat -or not, I don't consider draws defeat -but for her, it's a matter of her sister's dreams to make her a badminton player. In many wars, pity has saved many people and they remain faithful to those who saved the their lives. So I have this big question : is pity better or worse?

Ken 23 May, 2017 - 09:12

Hey catastophy!
Thanks for your comment. I clearly understand what you mean and I found it very interesting to compare your 'pity' to a badmington match!
Well...., if I were the opponent of the match, I wouldn't be happy at all!!
(;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`)
It's not fair and agianst sportsmanship, you know--- I might feel I was taken for a bit fool... !

Anyway, although if you were an instructor who tried to motivate a new young player =͟͟͞͞٩(๑☉ᴗ☉)੭ु⁾⁾, that 'pity' would work well, I'm not sure if I did the same thing.

You know, many people have a positive feeling towards a losing player who tries another try. I think it's a process of growing. So let's play for keeps with me, catastrophe!
٩(•̤̀ᵕ•̤́๑)ᵒᵏ
Yet, of course, as you say, when it comes to wars, yes, your're absolutely right. It seems to be a very different story to me...
By the way, I'm wondering what is the difference between "pity" and "mercy"?
(*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*) (╥ω╥`)

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 23 May, 2017 - 14:44

Hi Ken,
Actually, that girl had her last go into getting into the team. That's why I helped her. Lose this chance, and she's never ever gonna get into the school team. Poor thing. Her lifelong ambition was to get into that team. And now she shines!
And I liked your perspective of pity. I've heard many people say the word pity, more positively than negatively. Even in the cartoons I watch, pity is emphasised as a good value. Have you noticed that before? And I agree with your question. What is pity and mercy? Which is better?

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 1 April, 2017 - 03:24

There are many stray dogs in India too. Here too their population is growing very fast but I don't think we should kill them. Though we can sterilise them so that their population declines gradually

janie's picture
janie 29 March, 2017 - 03:12

In my opinion, street dogs are very serious problems. Outbreaks of rabies are often traced to unvaccinated street dogs, one of the most common carriers of the painful and deadly disease. But I don't agree with both of solutions are sterilized and reducing the population by killing them. Because I think these actions are not humanity.
Vietnam maybe the country that's best known for eating dog meat. As resulted, a number of street dogs are very small or I can even say there are no street dogs in my country. But just a small part of people lives in the north of my country eat dog meat.

meocondangyeu's picture
meocondangyeu 18 March, 2017 - 15:19

Poor them! If i see them i would take them home and put them in the list. Coz i have a "animals" farm.

oceanmimi's picture
oceanmimi 15 March, 2017 - 14:58

Well, a street dog! I've never seen it before. I love the dog. I come from Vietnam and, people here, some of them likes eating dog. I'm very sad because my country doesn't do something for the animals...

Ken 15 March, 2017 - 03:51

I'm not good at stray dogs actually.
I'm scared. They are often hungry....
I work like a dog everyday, cuz I don't want to die like a dog. People who like to flatter someone's vanity hang on to money like a dog with a bone. The rich, who dress like a dogs dinner, treat the poor like a dog. Then the poor beg like a dog, following them like a dog. Eventually they fight like cats and dogs.
We can do nothing about them once it rains cats and dogs on the streets................
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ*̫͡*ʕ•͓͡•ʔ-̫͡-ʕ•̫͡•ʔ*̫͡*ʔ-̫͡-ʔ

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 7 May, 2017 - 04:19

OMG Ken!!!
Looks like you can write a whole book on dogs!!!
"Breaking news: Teenage author makes a three-hundred-page book on the word dog and it's usage! Book is titled 'Ken's theory on Dogs and Their Usage in Grammar!":)))