Three benefits of solo travel

AmandaBlogger2017

Recently I took a solo trip to Chicago during spring break and it got me thinking about the many positives of travelling alone. I will share three with you today!

1. Plans

Something that I noticed almost immediately was the fact that I had the freedom to do what I wanted. I didn't have to factor in another person’s interests, which at points meant that I spent more time in bed relaxing because ... there are no rules to solo travel! 

2. Meeting the locals

Now I'm not sure if this was solely because I was travelling solo or if my British accent also played a role in causing intrigue but whilst in Chicago, I got involved in a couple of workshops. In the first one I designed a T-shirt and in the second workshop, I made some giraffe earrings (I love giraffes, but that is not the point of this post). During these workshops I got the opportunity to talk with the other attendees and days later I went to the theatre alone and found myself having a conversation about travel with the lady next to me.

The point I am trying to make is that I am almost certain that these conversations would not have happened if I had travelled with a friend and, to be honest, I probably wouldn't have found myself at a workshop. Solo travel can equal some valuable conversations.

Last but certainly not least ...

3. Confidence

There is something about being alone and not having anyone else to lean or rely on that really pushes someone out of their comfort zone but in doing so, you realise it's not so difficult after all. My grandma says, ‘You can't get lost if you can read’, and I would like to add the following to that: ‘If you are not sure, just ask.’ This can be applied to so many areas of life, from travel to being in the classroom. Fear is not tangible. We create it and by pushing ourselves and taking the leap to get out of our comfort zones from time to time, the cycle of fear can be broken AND it is an amazing confidence booster.

Topics: 

Have you ever travelled alone? Would you like to?

MinhTan's picture
MinhTan 3 July, 2020 - 08:23

I haven't travelled alone before. I don't have enough confidence and courage to do that. But If I get a chance, I really want to try. Last year, I and my family went to Dalat City.This is beautiful city and people are friendly. It has many beautiful places and delicious food. I bought some souvenir for my friends. In the future, I want to travel to Korea and Japan.

kimphung6569's picture
kimphung6569 1 July, 2020 - 14:45

I often travel with my family, it's not always make me enjoyable. I wish I could have opportunities to get solo travels. I think it's so excited and I may get many amazed things as well as valuable for myself.

Quoc_An's picture
Quoc_An 23 June, 2020 - 04:48

I feel that traveling alone will bring a delightful experience. How much can we measure our independence? We will have to find our way to the place, discover unique local food by ourselves, or have interesting conversations with the locals. These exciting experiences will help you grow, be confident, and understand what you want in this life. Since then, the strengths will be promoted, and weaknesses will be overcome.

hamynguyen's picture
hamynguyen 23 June, 2020 - 04:14

I actually haven't took a solo trip before. Though being pursuit to traveling a lots, I still be faired of making a trip alone. I hope that if I had a chance in one day, I will try to travel alone.I want to experience the feeling of getting out of my comfort zone first. Improving my interaction skill and also solving problems skills.I would challenge my self once.

1 user has voted.
Yennhi's picture
Yennhi 21 June, 2020 - 04:37

I haven't travelled alone before. I dont have enough confidence and courage to do that. But If I get a chance, I really want to try. I also need to get out of my comfort zone first, I wanna do everything I desire, explore a country, adventure to a new land, meet new people, enjoy the delicious foods and so on. I think it could be an interesting experience

1 user has voted.
thuchien's picture
thuchien 18 June, 2020 - 01:58

I haven't traveled alone. I hope I'll have chance to do it. Traveling alone makes me feel comfortable. It not only improves my problem-solving and decision-making but also helps me more confident and independent. I can do whatever I want such as planning own trip, visiting places I like, trying local food, taking photos

thaoyen258's picture
thaoyen258 15 June, 2020 - 16:48

I have never travelled alone. However, solo travel is one of my wishes-to-do. If I had a opportunity, I would like travel alone by train or coach to 2 or 3 other cities because I could easily capture all the beauties of each place and could learn more things that I have never known before. Travelling alone could let me do everything that I like without limit time and it also a chance to help me boost my confidence

1 user has voted.
empty's picture
empty 24 June, 2019 - 09:58

Have you ever travelled alone? Would you like to? No , I haven't . But I guess It's quite fun . I wish I could travel alone one day .

dreamersdontsleep's picture
dreamersdontsleep 18 August, 2018 - 14:21

No, I've never travelled alone. I hope i'll get the chance to travel alone because I think it could be an interesting and relaxing experience

AmandaBlogger2017's picture
AmandaBlogger2017 6 June, 2018 - 15:52

One day I am sure you will tick it off your bucket list, you can do it ! 
Amanda

SLMT's picture
SLMT 3 April, 2018 - 08:02

No,I have never travelled alone.If I get a chance,I really want to do.Travelling alone is one of my bucket lists. I need to get out of my comfort zone first.It’s my biggest mountain to pass.I wish I could travel alone one day.