A visit to Amsterdam

26
RachelF

Have you ever been to a city that you immediately loved so much you wanted to live there?

That's what happened to me a couple of weeks ago, when some friends and I decided to take a trip to Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands. Since we are all living in North Germany at the moment, it only took us a few hours on the train before we were at the heart of this beautiful city. The minute we stepped off the train, we were surrounded by splendid architecture, weaving canals, and (of course) hundreds of bicycles.

We stayed at a youth hostel near the museum quarter of the city. The building was a typical tall Dutch house with lots and lots of stairs, and the interior was uniquely decorated and extremely stylish. I love staying in youth hostels; it is such a great chance to meet people from all over the world and share your different experiences, cultures and even languages. We stayed in a room with an Argentinian, who we befriended right away, and who we spent a lot of time with while we were there.

During our stay, we made sure to make the most of what Amsterdam has to offer. We took a boat trip through the city, which gave us some great views of the fantastic architecture and canals. We also made sure to go to the Van Gogh museum, which is one of the city's main tourist attractions, and consists of a huge collection of his work, along with details of his life and the work of other artists that knew him. One of my favourite parts of the trip, though it was rather sad, was our visit to the Anne Frank museum. She was a Jewish girl who hid with her family for 2 years before the Nazis found them and sent them to the death camps. It was a very moving experience, and definitely worth seeing.

Overall, I think Amsterdam is one of my favourite cities that I have ever been to, and I would love to come back someday!

Have you ever been to Amsterdam? If you have, what did you like the most about it? What is your favourite city in the world?

Shizuka's picture
Shizuka 2 July, 2018 - 13:18

I went to Amsterdam several times since I acually live in the Netherlands, its a bit too busy for me but I like to shop there every now and then :)

I´d really like to go to Japan though!

warda2001's picture
warda2001 17 July, 2016 - 14:53

I love so much Amsterdam because it is the capital of my country.it is a great place with rich history and wonderful buildings.

Eva_C's picture
Eva_C 13 February, 2016 - 17:47

I've never been in Amsterdam but someday I'll visit this beautiful city. I don't have a favourite city but I traveled to Stockholm, Oslo, Dublin and Biaritz (France) and now I love them. I also want to visit many countries around the world, specially in Europe.

Carbi's picture
Carbi 8 September, 2014 - 17:53

I've never been to Amsterdam because it's a bit over my currently budget, but I hope i'll get there someday.....
And My fav. city in the world ?? I think It is either London or just mentioned Amsterdam
Because these cities have so many possibillities of what to do and where to eat ( I love food !!).
Then there are a lots of monuments to see and visit.
So, If i'll have enough money I am going to visit them !!!

fromrostov's picture
fromrostov 27 June, 2014 - 18:18

EREVAN is the capital of Armenia. It's exiting city. So good there. Erevan is even older then Rome. You also can to visit RUSSIA. Russia and Armenia forever.

dzeni 18 February, 2014 - 15:33

No, I have never been to Amsterdam but I would. My favourite cities are Paris, London and Rio de Janeiro.

beatiful's picture
beatiful 15 February, 2014 - 06:02

Overall, I think Amsterdam is one of my favourite cities that I have ever been to, and I would love to come back someday!...

cklj's picture
cklj 10 February, 2014 - 10:19

I have never been to Amsterdam and I really hope that I'll visit this lovely city in future. From all the cities that I have visited I like Istanbul the most and I'd like to go to Amsterdam, Rome and London.

RachelF's picture
RachelF 11 February, 2014 - 13:29

Are you from Turkey then? I would love to visit Istanbul. I hope you do get the chance to see all of those cities (and more!) in the future.

Thanks for your comment,

Rachel

cklj's picture
cklj 2 April, 2014 - 09:31

No I'm not from Turkey. I'm from Macedonia. I visited Istanbul last year. I also hope that you'll visit Istanbul soon, because it's a wonderful city. :)

ellen's picture
ellen 8 February, 2014 - 15:39

i have never been to AmsterdamI
l ike many cities.
I most like are Nyu-York, Istanbul, Tokio, and s,on

Natalija 8 February, 2014 - 14:34

I wish I went to Amsterdam, but I haven't. It's my biggest wish and I want to go there as soon as possible. I like its streets, fashion, painters, bikes, and everything there seems to be so interesting and awesome. I don't like the fact that prostitution is legal there.
My favourite city in the world is Belgrade, and after Belgrade, I like Amsterdam, London, Prague and Rabat.

RachelF's picture
RachelF 11 February, 2014 - 13:31

I really hope you get the chance to go there sometime! There certainly are a lot of things that are great about Amsterdam, although I agree with you about the prostitution. When I was there, I saw the Red Light District, where there is a lot of prostitution, and I hated it.

Thanks very much for your comment,

Rachel

serap's picture
serap 8 February, 2014 - 13:01

I have never been to Amsterdam. And my favourite city is San Francisco in the world although I have never been to there!

Niluh 8 February, 2014 - 09:46

No, i have never been to Amsterdam, but i wish someday i would be there. Jakarta is my favourite city, place where my family and i live in, i also have many favourite cities next to Jakarta, London and Paris are my favourite too.

RachelF's picture
RachelF 11 June, 2014 - 14:16

I love that your favourite city is where you live! It sounds like a great place - I would love to visit sometime!

Rachel

beyourself15rock's picture
beyourself15rock 7 February, 2014 - 21:51

No, I've never been to the capital city of Netherlands, Amsterdam. But I hope I will be :))
My favorite city is New York City, Berlin.. I like city with history.

RachelF's picture
RachelF 11 June, 2014 - 14:15

I agree that cities with history are the best! I love Berlin so much, but I've never been to New York. I hope to go there someday!

Rachel