What is different in the UK?

JohnR

Well I am now back home. It is quite surprising how very little has changed even after so long but there is still a lot of things get used to again! Here are a few things to watch out for when you move somewhere new or are returning home after a long time away:

1. Careful on the road!
The first thing that I did when I got out of the airport was to cross the road ... but I looked the wrong way! In the UK the cars drive on the left hand side of the road whereas in Spain they drive on the right. I almost got ran over because I was still thinking I was in Spain. You have to be very careful.

2. Careful on the road, part 2!
Here's another strange one from travelling on the road. In Mallorca, most of the time, pedestrians have the right of way. That means that they can cross the road by walking on the road without stopping and the car will stop for them. In the UK, however, you have to be careful to wait for the cars to stop or else you might end up in the hospital very quickly!

3. Drinking water.
In Spain, and especially in Mallorca, most people buy large bottles of water to drink. In the UK the filtering of the water means that you can drink straight from the tap. You can also ask for tap water to drink in bars and restaurants and you get it for free. On my first night back I forgot that I could drink water from the taps and spent the night wishing I had a bottle of water. When I woke up I realised how silly I had been. It saves money and is available 27/7.

4. Time is different.
It sounds quite crazy, doesn't it. It is true though, time is different here. In Spain there is a siesta, a small break during the day to have a nap and get energy for the rest of the day. You also might only think about going out for a drink with friends in Spain at 11pm. In the UK that is already passing bedtime! There is no siesta here. You get up early and are in bed before midnight.

It is so crazy to be home, so what are the special things about living in your country?

Are there any special things about living in your country that people from other countries would find strange? 

cklj's picture
cklj 23 August, 2015 - 00:08

In my country when you go to someone's house as a guest you should bring them a present: a coffee, some sweets or a bottle of wine. This way you show respect towards people. You're kind of obligated to do this when you're visiting relatives.

Manaly's picture
Manaly 13 August, 2015 - 22:24

I faced the same problem about how to drive car right or left.
Plus i am as Tunisian i love London and i always imagine that i am there studying english literature.
I wish my dream come true someday...

Tunisian123's picture
Tunisian123 26 July, 2015 - 15:21

The only thing i know that England is the best country around the whole world and that English people are the best always.
I HOPE one day i'll study in London.. it's my only dream.
That's why i'm studying so hard ..

Greeting from Tunisia

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 26 July, 2015 - 19:52

Hi Tunisian123,
I was pleased to read that you love England and its people - but I think you will find that there are good people and bad people in every country you travel to. I hope you achieve your dream of studying in London. Good luck with your studies!
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

Elsa007 9 July, 2015 - 13:37

Hello John!
Glad to hear the interesting story of your first step!
I've heard from my sister who has been to the UK that, unlike my country, the drivers in the UK are pedestrian friendly but unfriendly to the traffic light! But the situation is close enough??
In my country, I always try to be vigilant about possible dangers on the street, because these days there are many bad mannered drivers!!
Hmm, I like time in the UK, sounds diligent!? ツ

Lavender 9 July, 2015 - 02:46

Hello HH! I come from Vietnam too and I don't think so. I always wait for the lights turning red when I want to cross the road, because I saw that all the cars and motorbikes stopped. Maybe they passed over the line and zebra crossing but at least they did stop! Sometimes when I crossed the road with no lights, some cars and taxicabs stopped a while for me. It was very kind of them.
Of course you are so right, we have to really be careful on the road.

HH's picture
HH 8 July, 2015 - 15:10

Yeah... Although when the traffic light turns red, pedestrians are allowed to cross the road, but that's just what is written in the law. In fact, cars and motorbikes don't care about this. So, you must be careful unless you want a ticket to the hospital.