Who was Nelson Mandela?

LaurenS

Nelson Mandela was born on 18th July 1918 in South Africa. He had thirteen siblings by the same father, but different mothers. His father died when he was 9 and he was the first member of his family who was sent to school. In 1941 he was expelled from university because he led a group of students on a political strike.

Mandela was sent to prison for life in 1962 for protesting against poverty, inequality and racism against black people in South Africa during the apartheid. The apartheid was when people were divided by their race and forced to live separate lives. Black people could not do the same things as white people, such as going to certain places or voting. Mandela stayed in prison for 27 years of his life until 1990, when there was greater political freedom in South Africa and he was set free. He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993 and in 1994 he was elected as the first black South African president.

As president, Mandela received a lot of money, but he still lived a simple life and donated lots of money to charity, especially his own charity, the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, which he set up in 1995. He retired in 1999 and had problems being active since then due to illness. In 2004 he retired from public life, refusing invitations for public events and interviews. In March 2013 Mandela went to hospital because of a lung infection, but recovered and left hospital in September. On 5th December Mandela passed away, but he will always be remembered as a man who encouraged people to live more loving lives and who took a stand against injustice.

What do you know about Nelson Mandela? 

4444's picture
4444 25 August, 2016 - 18:59

i know that he received the nobel price and he was the first black man as a president of south africa ;also he is the greatest man that i have ever read about .he is so brave because he killed something calling apartheid

dzeni 19 December, 2013 - 14:25

He was the first president of black race in South Africa and the only person who was managed to fight against apartheid. The whole world will remember him.

Leia's picture
Leia 11 December, 2013 - 13:43

He was a person who fight with discrimination of race for other people. I think he is the greatest person!!

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 9 December, 2013 - 19:55

I do not know very well about Nelson Mandela. But during two-three years ago I have known Mandela as very intelligent man and maybe the greatest person in our history.

lili's picture
lili 8 December, 2013 - 09:42

I know about Nelson Mandela that his an amazing man and that he has done a lot not only for his country but for the whole world, he did a lot for humanity and most of all what we think about other people diffrente from us.He will always be in our minds, in our hearts and he want be forgoten... :\ R.I.P Nelson Mandela and God bless you... :'(...

Niluh 7 December, 2013 - 08:09

Nelson Mandela was south Africa president, he was the first black president who led south Africa. He won Nobel price in 1993, I've read in an article that Mandela loved batik Indonesia. In 1997, when he visited Indonesia, he stunned former Indonesia president Soeharto. Suharto welcomed Mandela wearing a formal suit while Mandela, surprisingly, wearing a batik shirt.

learningenglish282's picture
learningenglish282 7 December, 2013 - 02:28

ya, i know Mandela through my History lesson and i admire him very much for what he had done. He is so brave, he fought for injustice and played a crucial role for the equality of Human. He will live in our memory and be one of the greatest people ever!

ellen's picture
ellen 6 December, 2013 - 15:35

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, South Africa's first black president. Of all the people that participated for the first time in 1994, the president is selected in elections.
Mandela, the Democratic Socialist political opinion, political party, the African National Council from 1990 to 1999 was the chairman of the party.

Harabeli Supersweet 6 December, 2013 - 14:41

I know that he's one of the greatest people in History. He's s true inspiration who encourage us to never give up. Nelson Mandela said that education is the most powerful weapon that we can use to change the world and I completely agree with him.