Music

Igloofest: Montreal’s winter music festival

11
CatherineBlogger

On Saturday, one of my friends asked me if I wanted to go to Igloofest with her. Igloofest is an electronic music festival that runs for three weekends during January and February in Montreal, Canada. Initially I was a little reluctant; it didn’t seem like my idea of fun to go and stand in sub-zero temperatures and listen to a genre of music that I didn’t enjoy.

I quickly talked myself into it, however, since I am eager not to have any regrets about failing to try new things whilst living abroad. The freezing winters in the Quebec province really need to be embraced. The season is beautiful and brings unique opportunities to take part in various winter activities, including Igloofest. Staying inside and watching television may seem like a more appealing option when the weather is -15 degrees Celsius or colder, but going outside for music festivals or sporting activities ends up being vital to break up the bitter winter and make the most of the season. 2017 is also a very special year in Montreal and in Canada, as Montreal is celebrating 375 years since its founding and Canada is remembering the 150th anniversary of its Confederation. Another reason why I’m keen to experience everything that the year has to offer!

So I put on my thermal clothing, layers of jumpers, a hat, scarf, gloves and my warm winter coat, and ventured out to Igloofest. I’m so glad I did! The cold was much less noticeable when I was dancing to the music with the rest of the vast crowd and with a hot mulled wine in my hand. The lights, snow and surroundings created a stunning setting to spend time with my friend and soak in the experience of life abroad. I still may not be a big fan of electronic music, but I am definitely a fan of new experiences!

Does your city or country have a big music festival? Is there an event that you were initially reluctant to go to, but were happy when you did?

hadia 4 February, 2017 - 07:32

By the way, your profile picture shows...you're sitting at some mountainy cliff. (Something like that..) The scence is so lovely ahead. Greeny.
Where is it. Montreal?

CatherineBlogger's picture
CatherineBlogger 1 February, 2017 - 20:16

Hey Hadia :) thank you for your reply!
Montreal really is a beautiful city, especially in the snow. You are right – there are always activities here to keep me entertained! At the weekend I went to a snow festival, where we took part in activities such as snow tubing and dog sledding. It was great fun! The big party in Montreal though will be in June to celebrate the national holiday of the Quebec province. Do you have any particular events around the world that you would like to explore? :)

hadia 4 February, 2017 - 07:30

Hey Catherine.
Yep. I' love to enjoy some events and experience some traditions other nations or countries hold.
For instance, I want to play Holi-an indian festival, Diwali etc. Diwali, whenever I watch the celebrations of diwali on T.V. everything's so beautiful. And I really wanna see that. Um.....moreover, I want to attend an English Christain Wedding. He he. Although, I'd already attended one when I was about 12 years old. But that was having a bit of Pakistani culture in it. Therefore, I want to attend a pure Christain Wedding.
Um.....also I want to explore the Spring Festival in China. They look so cute esp. Girls in their long turban-like dresses. That's it. There are many more but I couldn't think of any more at the moment.
Please wish me luck. Catherine. I want to enjoy them ;)))

Hadia.

CatherineBlogger's picture
CatherineBlogger 5 February, 2017 - 02:33

Hey Hadia!

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot of exciting things on your list!  It would be great to watch and take part in such diverse traditions all over the world. :) they all sound so colourful, too!
I wish you lots of luck!  I'm sure you will get to see everything you want to if you put your mind to it. :)

In answer to your question about my profile picture, it is actually a photo taken near my home in Yorkshire in the U.K.  It is very green and beautiful - I love it!

hadia 5 February, 2017 - 14:46

Thanks a lot Catherine.
Really? You got a beautiful sight near your home. Lucky you. :))
Best wishes.

hadia 28 January, 2017 - 15:43

By the way, I have never had ever heard of igloofest before. It seems interesting to me. Chilly environment. Music in the surrounding. And dancing like there's no tomorrow. If feels amazing. :)

CatherineBlogger's picture
CatherineBlogger 30 January, 2017 - 15:49

Hi Hadia!  You are right, Igloofest was very interesting and something completely different to any other experience I had previously had!  I also had never heard about Igloofest until I started living in Montreal, but it is nice to get involved with events in the place where you are living. :)

hadia 31 January, 2017 - 13:58

Hey Catherine!
Thanks for the comment. Well, I see, you're living in Montreal, Canada. I saw pictures of it on the internet lately. And it's really beautiful. Living at a new place provides you with numerous opportunities to explore.
You must have had load of experiences with you. Are there more exciting traditions and festivals that Montreal celebrates? Did you enjoy them? I hope I'd get a chance to explore new events around the world too. :)

Hadia.

hadia 28 January, 2017 - 15:41

There have been so many times when I seemed reluctant to attend a festival or some event. And ended up going there just because of my friends or family. And believe me, it was always worth going. So yeah, it's all about us. If we are into something to the fullest, we enjoy it. I always feel happy when I am attending such events.
Although, I am not a music fav. person. But still, I do attend these functions. They really are amazing. ;)