Music

'I'm not sure that's my thing ...'

11
LucyBlogger

I know what sort of music I like. I grew up with folk music from England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland, listened to about two Nirvana songs when I was 15, branched out at 19 and added some old 80s classics, had a brief flirtation with electronic music in my mid twenties, cottoned on to the fact that country music was just American folk and therefore there was no reason why I should hate it so irrationally, and then found myself in my late twenties struggling to explain to the Swiss that I love folk music most of all. It's not cool here. Mainly because their traditional music doesn't have the youth and inspiration that mine does — our traditional music is always being rewritten, restyled, rejuvenated. The Young Folk Musician of the Year, a competition run by BBC Radio 2, is just one of the ways for young people to interact with traditional folk music and make it their own.

Obviously, I play my housemates some tracks. Often the bouncy jigs and reels and saucy sea shanties, sometimes more melancholy tales. I'm in love with 'The Witch of the Westmoreland' by Kate Rusby right now, and play it while I make soup in the kitchen. And they like it — I think they can even feel some of the history and roots in it that draws me to folk music more and more over the years, and even more so now I don't live at home. But my housemates are into something different. Don't get me wrong, you can put cheesy pop on and I'll dance until 5 am with the best of them, but when I was invited to a concert where the music was 'emo screamo crust with violins', I didn't quite know what to say. (Is crust even a type of music?! I thought it was that bit of bread that children won't eat.)

I was pretty sure this wasn't my thing, but my housemate said these were her friends from Belgium, they were really very talented and, besides, I get in for free because I live in the community. Surely I could walk ten metres across the courtyard and listen for an hour? I could, I just wasn't sure I wanted to.

The first thing I noticed was that there was a bowl of ear plugs on the bar. Ear plugs, usually used to shut out unwanted noise, were being given to the concert goers. I did the same as everyone else and took a pair and put them in.

I needed them. Emo screamo crust with violins is quite screamy and loud. The guy on the stage was shouty and angry during what I tentatively call the verse and then the violin came in during the chorus, with a surprising amount of melody. I actually quite liked the switch between the two and thought perhaps some of the attraction is that people like having to work hard to find the melody in the screamy bits and relaxing during the violin bits. I even began to feel some of the rhythm come through the shouting. People were dancing, listening intently to the words (I assume there were words) and enjoying the beat.

I stayed until the end of the concert. Mostly by choice, although a lot of other people had come in by then and getting back out before the end would have been difficult. I can't say I'm a convert but I can say that once I gave something new a try, I was pleasantly surprised.

Now when my housemates invite me to a strange-sounding concert, I usually go. Especially when it's ten metres away, free, and I can go back to my folk and pyjamas if I don't like it!

What sort of music is popular where you are? What sort of music is unpopular? Have you ever tried something you didn't think you'd like?

eduardo1999's picture
eduardo1999 11 May, 2017 - 16:39

My country has many differents genre and this music is really great. But not all music is good music for me. I really hate a Grupera music , I don’t like it, but it is really popular in my community. The people in Mexico believe that the grupera music represent to a one part of the country, maybe is the reason why this genre is very popular.I don’t think that Mexico has a unpopular music because is a big country and has different persons and differents style of music. My favorite genre is rock but in this days the electronic music is very modern and popular and the only music that made me change of opinión about my favorite genre .

Jonathan - Coor... 12 May, 2017 - 07:40

Hi eduardo1999,
Thanks for your comment but please don't copy and paste from another user's comments. Thanks :)
Silverwolf852's picture
Silverwolf852 27 April, 2017 - 13:45

In my country most people listen to band music, such as huapangos, cumbias, norteña or corridos but it also depends on the area where you are since they are changing the types of music that people listen to in my country. I also listen to this type of music because it is part of our Mexican culture.
Of course there are those who don't like because nowadays people are changing their musical tastes or simply don’t get their attention.
I don't know the type of music that is unpopular here, since there are some who don't like a certain genre of music but there are those who like that type of music.
It could be said that there is a great diversity to all musical tastes in my country.
I'm really open to listening to different types of music.

Eloise's picture
Eloise 27 April, 2017 - 04:57

Hello! It´s really interesting to know about the type of music that people listen and the preference of a certain country, for example in my country exists a big gamma of genres and the most listened here are Northern and band music, like cumbias.
Obviously it changes depending the zone where you live even more for the people around you. Since I can remember my brothers have been listening that type of music but, it could be for the difference of ages that I prefer other type, my favorite is pop and reggaeton, and the mayority of my pop music is in English so when we go on a trip they won´t let me choose and that´s annoying because that type of music isn´t unpopular here, I could understand them if I play like hip-hop or Funk and Metal because in my country isn´t popular, but not, I think they are closed minded like the rest, and it isn´t their fault because is in our culture, to listen certain music and I don´t know if is the same in other countries?
Finally I think that I at least listen or take a chance to listen different music and give them a chance, and I can prove it with an ex´s mine, because he liked only reggae and at first it didn't like me but know I like some artist of that kind of music like Bob Marley and Lenny Kravits

Greenleaf's picture
Greenleaf 27 April, 2017 - 04:39

In my country i think the most popular kind of music is the ones you can dance to, for example banda or cumbia, but i also think it depends on the kind of atmosphere you grew up into. My parents used to listen to 80s rock and classic music and the rest of my family was completely different so im kinda used to it by now. And most unpopular id say is rock/metal and all its subgenres.

Sunshines's picture
Sunshines 27 April, 2017 - 04:00

I like many different genres of music. Pop rock is my favorite, but I also listen to classical or dance music. Here in my country music is a very important part of Mexican culture and always is part of a celebration, whether big or small. One of the most popular genres is Mariachi. Mariachis also play at quinceñeras, on Mother Day, and they are often used to serenade women’s. The band usually consists of violins, trumpets and a classic guitar. The Ranchera music is also important draws on traditional folklore and its songs are usually about love or lack of love. I think that for Mexicans the unpopular are blues and reggae, maybe it´s because we aren’t used to that kind of ryhtms. Come to Mexico and experience its music firsthand!! <3

cancerteen's picture
cancerteen 27 April, 2017 - 03:51

InsertUsername's picture
InsertUsername 27 April, 2017 - 03:24

Most of the population in Mexico listens to “Banda” and “Grupero” I assume it is because there are a lot of national bands who play those types of music. But we all have been influenced by other countries when it comes to music tastes, from pop, hip-hop, rock, to Latin rhythms and even the now famous KPop. But where I live, I would say that 50% of the population listens to Banda and Grupero and the other half listens to foreign music including Reggaeton, and I haven’t heard of someone that listens to Opera or symphonic music. In fact, I’ve never been a fan of the reggaeton but once I used this genre for dance classes, I started to like the rhythm but I still don’t like the lyrics to any song.

mendoza57's picture
mendoza57 27 April, 2017 - 01:19

In my country there are a lot sort of music, but I believe that predominate certain types like Ranchera , huapango norteño, cumbias, type banda sinaloense,hip pop or ballads in spanish and english , something of reggaeton.My country is diveded into three regions: north , center and south.Where I live( in the north) I never have listened to say "we go to the opera house to listening violin or something like that .But this does't mean that it is unpopular , I think is just a lack of cultural habits about music .Of course that I have attended to events that I though I would never attend for example; Music and ballet dance and of course I liked. I believe in alive is better especially on the stage.

spookypame's picture
spookypame 26 April, 2017 - 22:35

The music in my country is very "basic", most of the young people loves banda, cumbias and corridos. For me there's no problem with it. If, that's the only kind of music they listen to but I really think we must give other genres a chance.

For example many teenagers loves k-pop music (korean pop bands) because today they are influenced by asian culture. It would be a good idea for adults to listen new ways of music or alternative genres like indie, synth-pop, metal or rock. It would be nice to meet people to share your tastes. To be honest the kind of music i like is not the most popular because it proposes a new way of sound and people are not taking "experimental" or "strange" music.

Yes, I tried to listen gruperas and i have to admit that some songs have romantic lyrics but the music doesn't help much to the my ear ;'( or maybe i'm the weird one. Socially I have to admit I don't care if a guy with different musical tastes plays his own loudly I would listen to it and maybe enjoy new experiences.

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 10 April, 2017 - 12:26

In my country two thirds of the population almost exclusively listens to bollywood music and I myself am quite a big fan of it. I am not sure whats unpopular here but I have never even heard of somebody attending an opera or a voilin orchestra here.