Music

Thursday, 18 December, 2014 - 09:54

The power of music

by HannahG

Have you ever imagined the world without music? Imagine the world without one musical instrument, one song to sing along to, or one tune to whistle. Imagine a world without dancing. It would be a very quiet and suppressed place to be!

There is a type of music for every emotion and individual taste. There is a song you can relate to if you are excited and ready to party. There is a song for when you are upset over a broken heart. There is a song that reflects the feeling of being in love and a song for when you feel angry and alone. I can guarantee there is at least one song in the world that is special to you. I like the fact that music appeals to everyone, you do not have to be a talented musician to enjoy it. You do not even need to listen to music playing; you can remember a song in your head as if it is playing out loud.

Recently I have been enjoying Spanish flamenco music. I may not fully understand all of the lyrics, but it is not necessary. I am moved by the sheer emotion and passion of the vocals accompanied by the Spanish guitar. Spanish flamenco music is full of expression; it makes me wonder that if there were no music at all, then surely, we must all explode.

I have also been taking flamenco dance classes, and I have come to realise just how important the music is. Although we learn new steps, we spend a lot of time listening carefully to the music, paying attention to the rhythm. You really do have to 'feel' the music so that you can, through dance, become a part of it. As well as the singers and guitarists, the flamenco dancers become an instrument through their hands and feet; tapping their heels and clapping their hands. Altogether this creates a compelling sound. To me, flamenco music is an example which defines how powerful music can be. It is something personal that can also be shared. Music is an experience, and I definitely do not want to imagine a world without it.

Language level

What is your favourite kind of music? Is there a song that is special to you?

Submitted by gruzdevajulia on Fri, 09/17/2021 - 06:41

I find strength in music. A strength that cannot be compared to anything. As far back as I can remember, I have always listened, sang, danced. Even when I watch movies, I'm always looking for soundtracks. Because I like listening to music, imagine yourself as the hero of a movie or TV series. The song I love with all my heart is All i want - Kodaline. Every time I listen to it, I plunge into an incredible state of happiness, sadness, love, eternity ... I can listen to it at any moment of my life.

Submitted by paradise_2006 on Fri, 09/11/2020 - 15:17

I can't imagine my life without music. I always listen to music to relax my mind. I'm a huge Kpop lover, And my favorite band is BTS. Any ARMYs???
English courses near you