Music

Why Being in a band is cool

27
Claire Alexander

When you were younger, a piano lesson may have ruined your day. Carrying a flute from class to class just for a half-hour lesson may have seemed pointless. But as you enter the adult world suddenly you realise that knowing how to play an instrument is pretty cool. Yes, even the flute.
So, what makes being in a band so cool? Is it because you get to go on stage and play to millions of adoring fans? Well, yes, but it’ll be a few years before your dodgy rendition of ‘Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star’ starts to resemble a Mozart symphony.

Even if you’ve been born with endless talent it’s still not easy to organise a band, but here’s a quick guide to get you started:

1)    Find your members.
You’ll need a drummer, a guitarist, a bass guitarist and a singer. Any other instruments are a bonus. This is where playing the flute comes in, if you can make playing the flute cool, you deserve all the fame and fortune in the world!

2)    Organise a band practice.
If you are lucky enough to have a band member with a drum kit and parents who are hard of hearing, you can practise at home for free. Otherwise, you’ll need to find a local studio which can be expensive. Split the cost equally, including the cost of hiring any equipment such as cymbals for the drummer, you rock together, you roll together!

3)    Be productive.
If you’re paying for a studio, the last thing you want is to spend it catching up with each other, so meet half an hour in advance to get all the chatting out of the way.

4)    Agree on songs to learn, and learn them!
Each band member should choose a song for the whole band to learn ready for rehearsal. This will allow you to see what genres work for your group.

5)    Start writing.
Once you know what music works for you, start writing! You can do this individually or as a band but the most important thing is to respect other people’s songs. It’s very rare to find someone who isn’t shy about sharing their first few pieces of writing, so be nice!

If that sounds like a lot of hard work, then you’re right! If it also sounds like a lot of fun, get started!
But what is it that makes all that hard work worth it?

Being in a band teaches you precious life lessons. It is a fun way of learning about how to share opinions respectfully, be creative, become more confident and work as a team. Once you can do that you’ll be well on your way to finding what it is about you that makes you unique, special and cool!

Do you sing or play a musical instrument? Which one? Are you in a band?

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 21 June, 2017 - 13:51

I like singing, though my friends say I have a horrible voice. "You be the prince and I'll be the princess... " or "I'm in love with the shape of you..." or maybe even this "I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was!!! :)))"
Songs are always relaxing for me, and I love melodious ones. They are really peaceful and calm. Though once on a while pop does some good. Yup, I'd love to join a band and be the star singer. Ohh, I'm a shooting star... :)))

bojana13's picture
bojana13 12 December, 2015 - 12:50

Well I sing,but I don t know to play any instrument and am not in a band,but I would like to be in a bend.It would be great.

cklj's picture
cklj 6 March, 2014 - 09:58

I love singing although I'm not sure I have a good voice. Singing relaxes me sometimes. I play flute, but plastic. :D
In the future I'd like to learn how to play the violin.

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 9 August, 2013 - 21:58

I don't play any instrument but i sing.Our school has a band and i am one of the singers

Sorina's picture
Sorina 14 July, 2013 - 14:49

I think this article is very helpful for those who want to be in a band or found one. I've been playing the guitar for about 5 years and I really enjoy it. I'm not in a band,but I'd like to. The hardest thing is choosing the members! I've tried once to play with one of my classmates,but it was just impossible! She never listened to what I was playing! If you want to found a band you must be sure,firstly,that everybody has something in common. Being in a band is very difficult and one of the most important things is that you have to listen to what the others are playing because, in case that someone sings something wrong,the whole team will improvise so that nobody coul notice the mistake. So the atitudes of the partners must be similar.

Lussine's picture
Lussine 12 May, 2013 - 17:25

WOW! It's quite informative article! I like it! It gives any number of advice for amatures who'd like to make up their own new band! I realise the importance of playing instruments. as
far as I'm concerned I dont get into playing piano ,guitar, flute or something like that. but I wish I had gone to the courses of the piano. It would be really cool if I could compose any musics myself..

Youssod Z's picture
Youssod Z 29 April, 2013 - 18:54

I play piano ,guitar (normal and electric) ,base guitar and drums.
I am in the school choir.
I am not in a band.

Natalija 20 March, 2013 - 15:14

I play violin and piano and I'm very good at it. I have had concerts around the world(in Spain and France) and I enjoy playing instruments. I've finished the primary music school and I am attending the second grade of high music school. I sing very nice and I really like that. I'm not in a band because I like solo singing, but I find it interesting for those who like singing in a group. Music has really become a part of my life.

ingrida's picture
ingrida 8 March, 2013 - 20:16

I am a very good guitarists, and I am president of my band which consists of 4 people and is one of many band worker and very beautiful

Demy's picture
Demy 25 January, 2013 - 20:41

I like to sing and I have a good voice. I can't even imagin my life without singing. When I'm sick and I have a sore throat it is a terrible day because I can not sing. It is a problem for me..

EyaKhemiri's picture
EyaKhemiri 16 November, 2012 - 20:24

I like this article :) ! .. well , i'm a guitarist nd violonist nd i'm in a band it's really very cool ^^ !

Starlette Lady's picture
Starlette Lady 21 September, 2012 - 17:55

Great article! It seems like almost anybody could start their own band. As for me, I play the guitar. I've been doing it for 3 years already but I'm still not very good. But I practice anyway, because I enjoy it a lot. Some of my acquaintances also play musical instruments. For example, one of my friends plays the guitar & the drums, and some of my classmates play the piano. However, I've never actually thought of creating a band of my own, because then we'd need a singer. And none of us has a very good voice. (Well, I still want to attend singing classes, but just to sing on my own and have fun. I'm not too ambitious and I don't dream of singing for thousands of people.)
Wonderful article still! I believe it'll be helpful to anybody who wants to be in a band.
Keep writing! ;)