Science and technology

Climate change: Facing the future

Emma Douty

In recent years, climate change has been a much talked about issue, with many debates over its possible impact on the world, and some even going so far as to question its very existence. However, with the undeniable increase in greenhouse emissions on Earth, there can be no doubt that the earth is becoming warmer, and scientific studies have proven that if we carry on living the way we do, then global temperatures will rise even more.

So what exactly does this mean for the future of our planet? In chilly places like the UK, we may think to ourselves: ‘Finally, warmer weather!’ But global warming will in fact cause extreme weather conditions, meaning that our winters would be even colder than they are now. More than that, warmer temperatures will lead to the melting of ice in the north and south poles, which in turn will lead to rising sea levels across the globe. This is particularly troubling for low coastal regions such as Florida in the USA which would be among the first to be flooded, along with many islands around the world, including the United Kingdom. In 1000 years or so, all these places and more will be submerged underwater.

So where will be able to live? Unless we can find a way to evolve into mermaids and mermen, which doesn’t look promising, the only solution is to move elsewhere. There will be little choice left once a large proportion of the land is lost to the sea, and other remaining places will be so hot that they will be absolutely impossible to survive in. Countries that we consider to be hot these days will be even more so if temperatures increase by 5, 10, even 15 degrees; countries like Australia and India, among others. It is possible, then, that the once frozen poles of the Arctic and Antarctica will be suitable enough to live in, having melted its ice and warmed up.

It’s a scary thought to imagine such devastation on Earth, and to think of our descendants struggling to survive in a virtually uninhabitable world. Perhaps if people start to realise how their actions now can have such a profound impact on future generations, they will change their attitude and start to think more about caring for the environment, in order to save it. If not, we’ll be living in a world underwater and will need to think of a way to turn ourselves into mermaids!

Do you agree with Emma? Are you worried about climate change?

Oc4mp0_Ju4r3z's picture
Oc4mp0_Ju4r3z 28 March, 2021 - 06:08

yes i agree becouse is dangerous for the earth.....People are not destroing the earth but themselfs

Yaviiin's picture
Yaviiin 28 March, 2021 - 05:28

Without a healthy, diverse and balanced environment, there would not be many species and, in fact, we would not exist humans, since we depend on it. Here lies our pressure as a species that causes the most impact, because pollution and the environment are the responsibility of the human being. It is essential to reduce our impact not only so that the human species continues to exist, a basic condition that we sometimes forget, but also so that the rest of the species can live in a dignified and safe way.

PamyBabyY's picture
PamyBabyY 28 March, 2021 - 05:15

Yes I agree with Emma and I am worried about climate change, Climate Change is not a thing of today, nor of yesterday and not of the day before yesterday; is a
consequence provoked for many years.
In those times when it was known to be a reality, anyone who claimed
that Climate Change was something existing was taken by a madman, people with power,
politicians, hid or passed this fact, however, currently it is known that it is a problem that we must reduce because there is no planet B

Ariak's picture
Ariak 28 March, 2021 - 03:26

I believe that we must eradicate climate change, because if we continue like this the situation will be critical, the winters would be colder and there will be melting of the ice that will cause a rise in sea level, many places would submerge.

Sayuri467B's picture
Sayuri467B 28 March, 2021 - 03:22

I’m agree with Emma, I’m also worried about climate change because either is affecting now, in the future will affect the double.

Chalino14's picture
Chalino14 28 March, 2021 - 02:19

I totally agree with what Emma says, we must be more aware of how global warming is going to harm future generations, and we must begin to implement urgent measures to stop climate change, I think it is an issue that must to talk more, a topic that should be everywhere and what the world must be talking about, if we do not think to become mermaids.

VannyQuintag_365's picture
VannyQuintag_365 28 March, 2021 - 00:03

I agree with Emma, ​​I believe that throughout this time, our climate has been affected by human activities.
The increase in greenhouse gases and global warming has many negative consequences for our planet.
Pollution, the rise in temperature, and the loss of animals are quite worrying since if they continue to grow at such an accelerated rate, it is possible that people can no longer live on the planet or it will be very difficult for us to do so.

Adair_LB's picture
Adair_LB 27 March, 2021 - 20:07

I agree with Emma because the situation is worrying and it is necessary to eradicate global warming in order to live without risks that are very difficult to control.

holaquetal's picture
holaquetal 27 March, 2021 - 18:46

Global warming should be of primary importance since it affects the whole world and if we do not make changes to improve it in the future, the world we know will cease to exist.

1 user has voted.
holaquetal's picture
holaquetal 27 March, 2021 - 18:46

1 user has voted.
CabRGualu's picture
CabRGualu 27 March, 2021 - 07:12

I very much agree with Emma, I believe that everything you have said is correct, and I am very concerned about this situation of global warming, I believe that it is not fair that no servant has to suffer because of people who do not take care of us one bit. ambient. However I feel that more and more people are making our planet a better home for everything, both animals and humans, I trust that as time passes there will be a better planet.

Diego467's picture
Diego467 27 March, 2021 - 03:00

It is very important to take care of our environment, to act as soon as possible to avoid serious consequences such as the collapse of cities, disappearance of Islands, etc.

We must take advantage that there is still time, that we can do something to avoid the aforementioned consequences, taking into account future generations, so that they can enjoy a better and healthier world

ALBRT24's picture
ALBRT24 27 March, 2021 - 01:27

Of course, i agree with Emma. I'm really worried for the problems that could happen if we don't do something. :(

Cecilia28's picture
Cecilia28 27 March, 2021 - 01:16

I agree, climate change is a threat that we have too close, it is believed that the heat will be so great that we are moving to colder places, but the best solution is to avoid this type of nomadic life and try to measure ourselves in terms of the consumption that causes global warming

marin_rodriguez's picture
marin_rodriguez 26 March, 2021 - 06:59

Yes I agree with Emma and I am worried about climate change, I think it is something that involves us all as inhabitants of the planet since it is the only place we have to live and if we do not do something to stop pollution we are going to die unless soon they find another habitable planet which would be very unlikely since although they find it the transfer would be very expensive and the people of low resources would die

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 4 January, 2016 - 07:28

As Emma Douty says, Climate change is a very heavy issue and It does indeed worry me very much. I've been paying attention to all the factors, why it is caused and I think we all should help in every way possible. Every hand matters. Every tiny thing matters. When put together can be a very big push. But the thing is each of us are reluctant to some tiny thing thinking that it is a really small thing even if i do it or not it doesn't matter. But the crucial fact is it does matter.
Recently I visited an science exhibition and It was amazing, and it also helped me to open my eyes into the issues of the world: Climate change.....global warming.
Humans won't be able to live so will animals.
Sometimes I just think we really don't deserve to live because of the way we live, barely allowing other animals to survive, ruining the resources we have.
I'm a human and I guess I'm not allowed to such injustice thinking. But I do hope people open their eyes and focus on stopping the damage we are doing intentionally or unintentionally.

DanielSIC's picture
DanielSIC 6 January, 2014 - 16:30

We shouldn't understimate the global warming. If we continue to use energy sources that pollute the environment in the future we won't be able to continue to live in this planet. We have to use the alternative energy sources that we already have and invest money to find new ones, or this will be a very bad planet to live. A lot of species are already extinct or are at risk of extinction, due to the environmental impact of our actions. Renewable energy already exists, we just have to use it.

lunetta's picture
lunetta 26 December, 2013 - 10:22

I agree with Emma, i think we should do anything. The man has completely revolutionized the system environment. We are ruining our house. All environmental problems are the fault of man. I also sometimes do not respect the environment, but I would still try to keep it as.

saba's picture
saba 4 September, 2013 - 11:48

i agree with you emma u r totally right!
i think we should encourrige others to care about the environment and global warming too

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 17 July, 2013 - 13:38

I am agree with Emma but i should say something: " The change starts from us" so be careful with the nature toward us, save it from the deforestation, acid rain ,industrial waste ,rubbish..... Our live would be better if we live in a clean area.

47mervan's picture
47mervan 16 June, 2013 - 16:27

I think Emma is right.
The Global Warming is dangerous for us and for our grandchilds.If we don't take care of it will be so bad.For this problem our school hang lots of posters about Global Warming.I have some ideas for the problem:
-We can save energy
-We should turn electricity devices off if we don't use them
-We can use solar energy
-We should make water conservation and similar.

spongebob's picture
spongebob 10 June, 2013 - 13:26

sure i agree with Emma
Climate is changing very fast and if we don`t do anything this is gonna be worst
so try to conserve some energy in different ways
this will help!!!!

Natalija 16 May, 2013 - 16:20

I completely agree with you, Maline. There's always something what we can do for our planet, and although it seems like nothing, it's actually much more. This planet screams for a change.
<3

MALINE 5 May, 2013 - 16:56

Yes,i´m extremely worried about it and not just worry I do somethin for the planet I don´t throw rubbish in the streets,I re-use things,I gather water from rain and use public transport. I think we all can do something to save our planet even if you think that you are not doing much,YOU ARE small actions can change the world.
On the other hand some people may think " I don´t care I won´t be alive to live that" I think those people are absolutely selfish and they don´t care about anything shame on them.

Natalija 28 March, 2013 - 12:50

Yes, I'm worried a lot. I think that everything that people were creating for years could be destroyed and it would be such a disaster. People should find some way to solve this problem as soon as possible, and it's crucial to realize this.

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 14 March, 2013 - 14:55

earth is in danger.... we should save world cause there isn't a planet like earth in the universe where we can live ...so ......

Ilda G's picture
Ilda G 12 March, 2013 - 13:30

Really the situation is hard and complex , everybody lives on the earth(whatever he/she is or where is he/she from)must coordinate with others on the global to save ourselves.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 9 March, 2013 - 11:18

Yes i agree with emma our world its in danger... we are destroyed the world...

Bora F's picture
Bora F 16 February, 2013 - 20:11

yes i agree becouse is dangerous for the earth.....People are not destroing the earth but themselfs,,,,,,

megisiana's picture
megisiana 12 February, 2013 - 16:55

Yes i agree because the change climate affect in everything in Earth.........
We should be more careful with everything we do...............

Nevenaa98's picture
Nevenaa98 30 November, 2012 - 14:21

Well,maybe the science will let us live on other planets if the Earth will be impossible to live on. Who knows,it's a 1000 year-old period :)

Delfines's picture
Delfines 30 September, 2012 - 16:57

I think that I do not agree, because i think instead of converting into mermaids, that is impossible, we could go to the moon because they have found that the moon has water and we can live there. The thing that's going to beimpossible also, is because it's going to be crazy, there isn't oxygen, but we'll have to live like the astronauts. We will need experts and the scientists will need to confirm if it's possible. I think that if the people recycle, reuse and reduce the world will be better and the pollution is going far and we need to contaminate less.

Ali Hasan's picture
Ali Hasan 21 September, 2012 - 16:01

We should go for the renewable energy as possible. Here the governments allover the world must support this idea. for me i can use the ipad or any other tablet devices instead purchasing hard-books. so i will save many trees, i can go to school or to work by a public buss, and finally the recycling is very important and more profitable way to save our planet for the ordinary and to make money for businesses. EVERYbody must take more responsibility and start thinking about the things he/she is doing,how it harm the planet ,and what is the alternatives.

Natalija 3 April, 2013 - 15:40

Ali Hasan, wise comment;). I like your ideas about solving this problem, I like your way of thinking. And I think that if we realize that, we will be able to do something. The only key to a better future for our planet is that people all around get together and find an ideal solution. I completely agree with you, best wishes;).

Blue sea's picture
Blue sea 22 June, 2012 - 16:46

I hope situation will be better ..You know it's really hot topic in talk shows then the channel brings the professors & specialists and they 're wittering on with long conversation ..by the end of the show nothing changes only one thing happens that you turn off the T.V..i don't ignore their work but normal people like you and me have to take an action ..The most important thing to solve any problem or dilemma is UNITY

Little Dragon's picture
Little Dragon 20 June, 2012 - 08:23

Hey. It's serious salma, not kidding. Do you want to be a fish ? Well, if you really want to, you can go to an ocean to live, not on land.