Science and technology

Climate change: Facing the future

34
Emma Douty

In recent years, climate change has been a much talked about issue, with many debates over its possible impact on the world, and some even going so far as to question its very existence. However, with the undeniable increase in greenhouse emissions on Earth, there can be no doubt that the earth is becoming warmer, and scientific studies have proven that if we carry on living the way we do, then global temperatures will rise even more.

So what exactly does this mean for the future of our planet? In chilly places like the UK, we may think to ourselves: ‘Finally, warmer weather!’ But global warming will in fact cause extreme weather conditions, meaning that our winters would be even colder than they are now. More than that, warmer temperatures will lead to the melting of ice in the north and south poles, which in turn will lead to rising sea levels across the globe. This is particularly troubling for low coastal regions such as Florida in the USA which would be among the first to be flooded, along with many islands around the world, including the United Kingdom. In 1000 years or so, all these places and more will be submerged underwater.

So where will be able to live? Unless we can find a way to evolve into mermaids and mermen, which doesn’t look promising, the only solution is to move elsewhere. There will be little choice left once a large proportion of the land is lost to the sea, and other remaining places will be so hot that they will be absolutely impossible to survive in. Countries that we consider to be hot these days will be even more so if temperatures increase by 5, 10, even 15 degrees; countries like Australia and India, among others. It is possible, then, that the once frozen poles of the Arctic and Antarctica will be suitable enough to live in, having melted its ice and warmed up.

It’s a scary thought to imagine such devastation on Earth, and to think of our descendents struggling to survive in a virtually uninhabitable world. Perhaps if people start to realise how their actions now can have such a profound impact on future generations, they will change their attitude and start to think more about caring for the environment, in order to save it. If not, we’ll be living in a world underwater and will need to think of a way to turn ourselves into mermaids!

Do you agree with Emma? Are you worried about climate change?

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 4 January, 2016 - 07:28

As Emma Douty says, Climate change is a very heavy issue and It does indeed worry me very much. I've been paying attention to all the factors, why it is caused and I think we all should help in every way possible. Every hand matters. Every tiny thing matters. When put together can be a very big push. But the thing is each of us are reluctant to some tiny thing thinking that it is a really small thing even if i do it or not it doesn't matter. But the crucial fact is it does matter.
Recently I visited an science exhibition and It was amazing, and it also helped me to open my eyes into the issues of the world: Climate change.....global warming.
Humans won't be able to live so will animals.
Sometimes I just think we really don't deserve to live because of the way we live, barely allowing other animals to survive, ruining the resources we have.
I'm a human and I guess I'm not allowed to such injustice thinking. But I do hope people open their eyes and focus on stopping the damage we are doing intentionally or unintentionally.

DanielSIC's picture
DanielSIC 6 January, 2014 - 16:30

We shouldn't understimate the global warming. If we continue to use energy sources that pollute the environment in the future we won't be able to continue to live in this planet. We have to use the alternative energy sources that we already have and invest money to find new ones, or this will be a very bad planet to live. A lot of species are already extinct or are at risk of extinction, due to the environmental impact of our actions. Renewable energy already exists, we just have to use it.

lunetta's picture
lunetta 26 December, 2013 - 10:22

I agree with Emma, i think we should do anything. The man has completely revolutionized the system environment. We are ruining our house. All environmental problems are the fault of man. I also sometimes do not respect the environment, but I would still try to keep it as.

saba's picture
saba 4 September, 2013 - 11:48

i agree with you emma u r totally right!
i think we should encourrige others to care about the environment and global warming too

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 17 July, 2013 - 13:38

I am agree with Emma but i should say something: " The change starts from us" so be careful with the nature toward us, save it from the deforestation, acid rain ,industrial waste ,rubbish..... Our live would be better if we live in a clean area.

47mervan's picture
47mervan 16 June, 2013 - 16:27

I think Emma is right.
The Global Warming is dangerous for us and for our grandchilds.If we don't take care of it will be so bad.For this problem our school hang lots of posters about Global Warming.I have some ideas for the problem:
-We can save energy
-We should turn electricity devices off if we don't use them
-We can use solar energy
-We should make water conservation and similar.

spongebob's picture
spongebob 10 June, 2013 - 13:26

sure i agree with Emma
Climate is changing very fast and if we don`t do anything this is gonna be worst
so try to conserve some energy in different ways
this will help!!!!

Natalija 16 May, 2013 - 16:20

I completely agree with you, Maline. There's always something what we can do for our planet, and although it seems like nothing, it's actually much more. This planet screams for a change.
<3

MALINE 5 May, 2013 - 16:56

Yes,i´m extremely worried about it and not just worry I do somethin for the planet I don´t throw rubbish in the streets,I re-use things,I gather water from rain and use public transport. I think we all can do something to save our planet even if you think that you are not doing much,YOU ARE small actions can change the world.
On the other hand some people may think " I don´t care I won´t be alive to live that" I think those people are absolutely selfish and they don´t care about anything shame on them.

Natalija 28 March, 2013 - 12:50

Yes, I'm worried a lot. I think that everything that people were creating for years could be destroyed and it would be such a disaster. People should find some way to solve this problem as soon as possible, and it's crucial to realize this.

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 14 March, 2013 - 14:55

earth is in danger.... we should save world cause there isn't a planet like earth in the universe where we can live ...so ......

Ilda G's picture
Ilda G 12 March, 2013 - 13:30

Really the situation is hard and complex , everybody lives on the earth(whatever he/she is or where is he/she from)must coordinate with others on the global to save ourselves.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 9 March, 2013 - 11:18

Yes i agree with emma our world its in danger... we are destroyed the world...

Bora F's picture
Bora F 16 February, 2013 - 20:11

yes i agree becouse is dangerous for the earth.....People are not destroing the earth but themselfs,,,,,,

megisiana's picture
megisiana 12 February, 2013 - 16:55

Yes i agree because the change climate affect in everything in Earth.........
We should be more careful with everything we do...............

Nevenaa98's picture
Nevenaa98 30 November, 2012 - 14:21

Well,maybe the science will let us live on other planets if the Earth will be impossible to live on. Who knows,it's a 1000 year-old period :)

Delfines's picture
Delfines 30 September, 2012 - 16:57

I think that I do not agree, because i think instead of converting into mermaids, that is impossible, we could go to the moon because they have found that the moon has water and we can live there. The thing that's going to beimpossible also, is because it's going to be crazy, there isn't oxygen, but we'll have to live like the astronauts. We will need experts and the scientists will need to confirm if it's possible. I think that if the people recycle, reuse and reduce the world will be better and the pollution is going far and we need to contaminate less.

Ali Hasan's picture
Ali Hasan 21 September, 2012 - 16:01

We should go for the renewable energy as possible. Here the governments allover the world must support this idea. for me i can use the ipad or any other tablet devices instead purchasing hard-books. so i will save many trees, i can go to school or to work by a public buss, and finally the recycling is very important and more profitable way to save our planet for the ordinary and to make money for businesses. EVERYbody must take more responsibility and start thinking about the things he/she is doing,how it harm the planet ,and what is the alternatives.

Natalija 3 April, 2013 - 15:40

Ali Hasan, wise comment;). I like your ideas about solving this problem, I like your way of thinking. And I think that if we realize that, we will be able to do something. The only key to a better future for our planet is that people all around get together and find an ideal solution. I completely agree with you, best wishes;).

Blue sea's picture
Blue sea 22 June, 2012 - 16:46

I hope situation will be better ..You know it's really hot topic in talk shows then the channel brings the professors & specialists and they 're wittering on with long conversation ..by the end of the show nothing changes only one thing happens that you turn off the T.V..i don't ignore their work but normal people like you and me have to take an action ..The most important thing to solve any problem or dilemma is UNITY

Little Dragon's picture
Little Dragon 20 June, 2012 - 08:23

Hey. It's serious salma, not kidding. Do you want to be a fish ? Well, if you really want to, you can go to an ocean to live, not on land.