Science and technology

Has technology taken over?

65
TeresaC

In E. M. Forster’s short story, ‘The Machine Stops’, he talks about ‘The Machine’, which is worshipped by the majority of people in the world of the book. In the story, the world's population is encased in a machine, and each person has an object similar to an iPad, with a Skype-like function - ‘there were buttons and switches everywhere […] there was the button that produced literature. And there were of course the buttons by which she communicated with her friends’.

Recently, I accidentally spilt a glass of water over my beloved 2-year-old laptop. Almost immediately, the screen went blank and it hasn’t worked since. I phoned my mum in tears, telling her what had happened. It felt like I had lost a limb! I began to panic, knowing that, for a few weeks (until I can get a replacement) I will have to live without easy, quick access to Facebook, email, Skype, YouTube…

And then it hit me; technology is taking over my life! Not a day goes by without me using the internet for at least two hours a day, be it for work, or fun, or online shopping, studying, or contacting my friends and family. In Forster’s story, people become obsessed with their ‘Book of the Machine’. When I first read the story six months ago, I found it a little scary because it does reflect our lives today, to some extent. We are all attached to a ‘machine’, be it a mobile phone, a computer or laptop, an ipad, or an iPod or an MP3 player… When I realised that Forster had written his story in 1909, I was frightened – how did he manage to predict the future so accurately? Although we are not yet as obsessed as the characters in the story, it is believable that one day we may be!

Something else that has surprised me recently is using a pen and paper for writing – I’ve become so used to typing that writing has become a little strange! I used to love writing, particularly letters, but also schoolwork - anything really! But in the last couple of years, I have become used to typing quick messages to my friends and family, and I have word processed all of my university work. My handwriting, once lovely and easy to read, has become a rushed scribble. Surely technology is supposed to make our lives easier, not rushed?!

Realising this, I’ve decided that a few weeks without a laptop will be good for me! I am now using my mobile phone less, and instead I’ve written letters to my family and friends, taking time to really think about what I am saying to them.

I’m sure that once I have a replacement computer, I will fall back into my bad habits – but for now, it is a refreshing change!!

Do you think technology is taking over? Do you use your laptop or mobile phone a lot? How much time do you spend online?

Sufia's picture
Sufia 15 April, 2019 - 08:15

my mobile is 6h a day and in a month i spend more o less 3gb of internet connection (this is quite much for a mobile) mostly for videos, for music and to keep in touch with my friends and boyfriend i think if you use too much something, it will be hard to get rid of that . So we need to spend less time in technology.

1 user has voted.
Loganjames's picture
Loganjames 15 April, 2019 - 07:35

Gradually we are getting obsessed with technology. We are spending too much time in it rather than passing it with our family members. We are always attached into one technology or another. In this way, our societies will go down and more distance will created among us. So it feels like technology is controlling us. So we should stop using much time in technology and enjoy the world outside of it

1 user has voted.
Ovi's picture
Ovi 15 April, 2019 - 06:21

Because of technology, I have become successful to read the article. So, before I start to say something, I must say that if technology is taking over that means Man's intelligence is taking over because we have got technology by the wisdom of human beings. So, it is not a curse rater a blessing if technology is taking over. In other words, it can be said, Man has created technology and developed it to let it taken over! So, I think it is not a matter of concern if technology somehow is taking over rather it is a matter of joy that the most intelligent organism in the world is being success in their intelligence which is technology.
But there is an important in case of matter of technology. Thailt is about its use. If someone uses it properly, its benefit is too much. It cannot be explained with a few words. But it has some bad uses also which can destroy huge. Compared to advantage, disadvantage is very limited. But these small portion danger can cause fatal harm. So, we must keep safe. So, we are easily becoming understand that user is a great point in case of technology.
When I think about myself, sometime I use mibile or laptop a lot but some not for a huge moments. It just helps me when I use it usefully but careless use cost a huge time wastage. Everyone can easily understand which are the way to waste time using technology.
A short story: just within a few days my teacher taught me how to solve a math, I didn't understand well but I searched the math task in Youtube and it became very easy for me to solve that.
So, using technolgy properly, let us create a movemement: "Technology is blessing"

Smm's picture
Smm 14 April, 2019 - 13:19

The article is very true. I really think that the technology has taken over. I spend most of the time with my mobile phone and my computer. I think everyone is spending most of the time with mobile phone,laptop,computer etc. Thus we are wasting our valuable time and also our energy. We don't give time to our family. We invented the technology to make everything easy and comfortable.But now we are misusing the technology. Actually it is really bad to use anything very much.We are using the technology extremely.For this we are destroying our future.I think the third world war will be for technology.So I really think that the technology is really taking over.

1 user has voted.
bluestars's picture
bluestars 13 April, 2019 - 18:18

Technology domination has become a part of the world.If we misuse these technologies,it can be said that technologies are taking over.
Technologies are spreading and updating too fast and modern generation is becoming lazier,unsocial.Young girls and boys are westing their time by looking down at their cell phones.Relationship are formed over facebook or instagram. Miscommunication sometimes creates problems.Health problems are also creating.
It has become a very bad habit using our phones too much.Now we can't escape from the using of internet.
Technology can be very beneficial but it can control our lives without us even knowing it I guess. Laptops,cellphones,internet are incredibly helpful and has made our life easier.But all of us would be better off by minimising the uses of these wonderful technologies.

Lucifer's picture
Lucifer 13 April, 2019 - 08:45

Well, thats true......I also think technology is taking over us. Using anything obsessively is harmful for us. Because it kills our valuable time, it hampers our studies and so on. But we didn’t invented technologies to waste our time, we have invented it to save our time. Nowadays people are getting addicted to it. By using technologies we are becoming lazy.
And sometimes i also use my mobile phone a lot. But generally, I spend my 6 or 7 hours of a day in online. I know its not good for me. But as we know we cannot even think a single day without technologies. So, we cant avoid the impact of it on our day to day life. In this era, technologies are needed in every sphere of our life. But we should try to use the technologies as less as we can.

1 user has voted.
Pheebs's picture
Pheebs 13 April, 2019 - 05:53

Well according to the article given above, I agree with it. We all know that today’s is the advanced world indeed. Just because of technology we have become able to know the unknown things very easily which is so blessing to us. Nut it is alright till we use it for our benefits not till that they start to control us. It is we who invented it for our own sake. So we should maintain a limit. We are not supposed to get addicted with this stuffs. By using technology or device excessively we are not able to remain in touch with our family . Sadly we r becoming heartless and destroying our own creativity which are making us depressed and boring as well. So I think we should use them just to acquire knowledge and not to misuse them. Thank you,

Ariya's picture
Ariya 12 April, 2019 - 18:20

Man has created machines and technologies but as they started using them they started depending on them and that is why gradually machines are taking over... Technology can be good but sometimes it also can cause us harm... Nowadays people of all age remains busy with their phone.. They are forgetting the real way of living life.. they are only depending on technology.. Which are also causing health problems and other issues.

1 user has voted.
Elina's picture
Elina 12 April, 2019 - 15:15

This article is so true ... I think it's the most common thing that's happening to us..we are just using those machines a lot.. thats the main problem.. thats why those technologies are taking over..not only phones or laptops are invented by us .. we have also invented washing machines .. those are not harming us in that level.. And besides that technology is involved in everything.. This is the time that technologies are being must for us.. just like education... It's helping us in educations too.. So it's in our hand.. how we handle it .. I also use those.. sometimes it's became addicted.. but that time I divert my mind in reading, painting ... i think that's the only thing I can do for myself ...!!

1 user has voted.
jonstark's picture
jonstark 12 April, 2019 - 07:00

I agree with the article...It's bad to use anything too much... I think its our fault...not the machiens..

Actually machiens are created by us....Trees and animals cannot take over us..it's because we are not giving them the opportunity...Perhaps we are taking over them.. We invented technology to make our lives easier and safer.... But it has become harmful for us as we are careless and trying to do everything only by commanding..Industry is the key to success but our ambition to become more lazy is destroying us... And i beleive...one day will come when we have to do war against our own creation..just like 'Terminator'... Nobody can deny the importance of technology...Technology is like a Gift box...You can always expect good but you'll never know what you might get... :)

sararosita's picture
sararosita 15 August, 2014 - 23:44

I use my phone a lot ;i spend most of the time connecting with fiends and familly this is a bad thing i think that we misuse technology ;because we spend most of the time alone and we forget about people who are living with us in the same house i notice that the time that i spend with friends is more than the time that i spend with my familly; actually i do not talk a lot with my sister and my mother everyone is busy doing something else so the relationship between members of the familly deteriorate

AterTAurus's picture
AterTAurus 29 April, 2014 - 16:29

my mobile is 12h a day and in a month i spend more o less 5 gb of internet connection (this is quite much for a mobile) mostly for videos, for music and to keep in touch with my friends. i think if you use too much something, it will be hard to get rid of that thing.

WhiteRabbit's picture
WhiteRabbit 22 April, 2014 - 13:27

I have the same problem!
I've used computer a lot because it's much more beautiful and I can change the colors and the size much easier. I think it OK because it's quite nice for the environment, because we don't use paper any more.
But sometimes I depend on my computer too much, I can't contact with my friends without it and I can't finish my work. The little thing has changed my life a lot in good ways and bad ways. It is no good for my eyes. I don't want to be almost blind without glasses^^

Rei's picture
Rei 22 January, 2014 - 15:52

i HAVE A NOKIA asha 240 mobile phone .. Not a speciale phone but Good :P .. My sister have Iphone 5 :) I feel Lose :P :P :P It's only for laugh

Rei's picture
Rei 22 January, 2014 - 15:50

Hi all .. I'm Rei . I'm 13 year old .. I'm new here .. In my country Albania Techonolgyis not strong .. yeah now all are with iphone facebook twiter chat and all other..IN future techonolgy will be bad for we .. we can feel feet :P :) Your new friend REI

A3BALE11's picture
A3BALE11 9 January, 2014 - 19:03

I agree with this article about the fact that without technology we would be out of place, I think we should try to use the technology within limits because otherwise we would be under the control of it

Woody96's picture
Woody96 30 December, 2013 - 11:08

Yes, I agree. Nowadays the technology is very important for young people as a result of technological progress. It should detoxify technology objects.

Niluh 3 December, 2013 - 06:45

Hi Teresa :) Yes, of course. I have a mobile phone, i use my phone to listen to music while i am playing computer. Sometimes, i forget to turn the music off and it turn on in many hours that's the reason why i charge my phone very often that others :D

Niluh 2 December, 2013 - 15:09

I can't count how many hours i spend my time in front of computer, but i can say that i spend lots of time just for online and reading articles,i learn English with my computer as well.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 2 December, 2013 - 18:19

Hi Niluh! I agree - it is hard to count how many hours we spend online because we can find so much information on the internet! Do you have a mobile phone too? Do you like to listen to music or watch movies online? 

domozauras's picture
domozauras 2 December, 2013 - 12:42

TeresaC, i agree with you 100%. Most of people lives are taken by technologies. I think I am little bit taken too. But not too much, becouse i have very hard and full routine. So I don't have enough time for things like that.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 2 December, 2013 - 14:53

Hi Domozauras, I'm glad we agree! Do you have a mobile phone? What do you like to do when you're on the internet? What do you do in your busy days? 

ellen's picture
ellen 1 December, 2013 - 18:46

hello Teresac.
How are you?
So do I.
Yes, I used the internet to watch movies, listen to music, or chat with my friends.
How old are you?
Where are you living in England?
your Azerbaijanian friend Ellen/

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 2 December, 2013 - 12:02

Hi Ellen! I'm 20 years old. I come from Bristol, in the south-west of England, but my university is just outside London. I'm living in France at the moment for 1 year to teach English and to learn French! How old are you? Whereabouts in Azerbaijan do you come from? Have you been learning English for a long time? 

ellen's picture
ellen 4 December, 2013 - 18:43

hello teresac.Oh, i am very sorry for late answering questions.
oh you are young and you are read univercity in the France.
I am 15.I prepare to Univercity.
Yes, I been learning English for a long time, as well as, Since I was 6 age. Personally, I like English very, And at the school English my favorite subject.

Azerbaijan has many historic places.For example:
1.The Maidens Tower
2. The Shirvanshahs palace.

Do you like talking to people?
What is your hobby? Have you got sister and brother? Which you singers like?
Please answer.......................................................................... -

your buddy :D

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 5 December, 2013 - 16:54

Hi Ellen! It's nice to see that English is your favourite subject at school! Those historic places sound interesting - I've never been to Azerbaijan! Yes, I love talking to people. My friends and family call me a 'chatterbox' because I never stop talking! I've got one older sister, but no brothers. I like lots of singers - I listen to a lot of pop music. I like to go running - in April next year I will run the London marathon! How about you - what are your hobbies? Do you have any brothers or sisters? What kind of music do you like?

ellen's picture
ellen 6 December, 2013 - 15:19

Hello Teresac.
How are you my friend?(I think everythink ok/)
I like sport. I go in for sport every day.Do you like sport?What kind of sport do you like?
I like tennis and basketball. it is enjoying sport.
My hobbies are I like to collect information about countries

I have got one brother. i don`t have any sister.
my favourite singers are Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Rihanna, Avril Lavnige and s.on. I like pop music.
Yes, I like you profile photo.

Which you singers like?
You are dark hair or blonde hair ? You are tall, or undersized? Have you got some animal?

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 9 December, 2013 - 16:22

Hi Ellen! I'm very well thank you! How are you? 
My favourite sport is running, which is why I'm going to run the London marathon in April! 
I've got long brown hair and I'm quite short. Thank you - my profile photo was taken when I was teaching English in China in the summer. I learnt to play a little bit of guitar, which you can see in the photo! Can you play any musical instruments?
I have no pets, which is a shame because I love dogs! But as a student, I can't keep any pets in my accommodation. Do you have any pets? 

ellen's picture
ellen 10 December, 2013 - 14:47

Hİ, Teresac.
I am fine, thank.
what do you do?
I am playing only the piano. But, i want playing the guitar, the violin and s. on/
I think that would be something that people want to do something.
I have got two pets.
Dog and cat. It s very amazing and lovely.
How do you want to spend your summer holidays?
What are your name Teresac. if it isn't secret.
Have you been any countries?

And what about your favourite food??
Have you ever try Azerbaijan food?

Do you think english is a difficult language ?
which language do you manage to talk?
Thank you.C.U

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 10 December, 2013 - 18:57

Hi Ellen! I'm an English university student. I'm studying English literature and French. My real name is Teresa. Is your real name Ellen? I've been to America, China, Germany, Italy, Portugal and I'm living in France at the moment - I love to travel. Have you travelled anywhere? My favourite food is Italian - I love pizza and pasta! I love chocolate too! What's your favourite food? No, I've never tried Azerbaijan food - what is a typical dish from your country? I think English can be very difficult to learn, but practise makes it much easier! I'm learning French at the moment. 

ellen's picture
ellen 13 December, 2013 - 13:33

Hi Teresa!
Oh you are student in the univercity as well as, is France.
The most experienced gourmets coming to Azerbaijan have become connoisseurs of its cuisine.The dishes of Azerbaijani cuisine are original and unique.It is not surprising that purely Azerbaijani dolma, bozbash, bozartma, chykhyrtma, khashil, shashlyk, piti, pilau, govurma are included in national menus of neighboring Caucasian nations.

The majority of national food is cooked from mutton, beef and poultry.Azerbaijanis as well as other Moslems do not eat pork.Dishes from chopped meat and, certainly, fishes are widely spread there.He preferred fishes are stellate sturgeon and sturgeon.Azerbaijani cuisine is famous for abundance of vegetables, first of all greens, eggplants, sweet peppers, cabbage, spinach, sorrel, beet, radishes, onions, cucumbers, green string bean, etc.

Ellen is my nickname.Couse, my favorite actress and programmest Ellen Degeneres name.
Do you know Ellen Degeneres ?
Are you watching hers show?
I have been Iran islam respublic, Turkey, russia and s,on
I know, English can be very difficult to learn, but practise makes it much easier.
English food - what is a typical dish from your country?
C.U

ellen's picture
ellen 29 November, 2013 - 17:05

İ have got phone telephone.
I use computer or mobile phone a lot.
I'm mostly used to learn English.
I also like used Twitter.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 1 December, 2013 - 08:26

Hi Ellen - it's great to see that you use technology mostly to learn English! I think that's one of the benefits of technology - it can bring us closer to people and also help us learn! I'm not always so studious - sometimes I use the internet to watch movies, listen to music, or chat with my friends. Do you like to do anything like this online? 

bloomsophie's picture
bloomsophie 28 November, 2013 - 18:51

it is great theme i'm bignner english but i can understand this theme. we have to use books it so useful than laptop.phone ipad.... this tehcnlology teach our the laziness

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 29 November, 2013 - 07:49

Hi bloomsophie! I'm glad you like the theme - and your English is very good! I like books too - I prefer to read real books than online. It's true that technology teaches us laziness. Do you use a computer often? Do you like to surf the internet? 

bloomsophie's picture
bloomsophie 30 November, 2013 - 08:45

thanx teresa i use very much a computer in my studies and to connect with my friends in facebook i prefer real books too!!!

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 1 December, 2013 - 08:29

Hi bloomsophie! I use my laptop a lot for my studies too, but I also talk to my friends and family online. It's so useful because I'm living abroad this year. Being able to chat online helps me miss them less! I also use the internet to watch movies, listen to music, and catch up with TV shows I've missed. Do you like to use the internet for these things too? 

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 2 December, 2013 - 11:49

Hi bloomsophie,
At the moment all the writers in our Magazine section are British university students who are working with the British Council as language assistants. This means they are helping in the English department of schools around the world. 
In the future we would like to invite our users to write for our site, but at the moment we can't do this. If this changes, we will let you know. 
Best wishes and thanks for your interest in writing for us. 
Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

Jonathan - Coor... 1 December, 2013 - 03:01

Hi bloomsophie. I have deleted part of your message because we don't allow users to share personal details on the site, including their facebook or Skype details. This is because it's not safe to publish your personal details on the internet. Anybody could find them and contact you, including people you don't want to contact you, so make sure you stay safe online. You're welcome to write as much as you like on this site and reply to other users. Thanks :)

SandraB's picture
SandraB 28 November, 2013 - 17:42

I think it does,I do spend a lot of time on computer,but I think that I really am doing something productive.I barely use my phone,only for listening to music or calling my mom from time to time,I doo all I need to do face to face.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 29 November, 2013 - 07:47

Hi Sandra! I'm the same as you - when I'm spending time on my computer I am always working! What kind of music do you like to listen to on your phone? What do you like to do when surfing the internet? 

WildChild's picture
WildChild 27 November, 2013 - 18:30

Yes I do. I use my computer. I'm not online that much, maybe I'm online 1 hour. I hate to see people chatting all the time, even when they're at parties... My friends are sending messages to each other even when they're sitting next to each other. That bothers me a lot... That's why I have just one really close friend.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 29 November, 2013 - 07:45

Hi WildChild! I find that vry annoying too - I don't understand why some people have to be constantly on their phone. I use my phone a lot, but I'm careful to make sure I talk to people in real life more than sending messages! What do you like to do when you're online? 

Harabeli Supersweet 26 November, 2013 - 16:25

Yes, I think that technology is taking over. It's supossed to be controled by people, but in fact people let it control their lives. I use my laptop a lot, because it helps me with the school projects and some homework. Of course that surfing the NET is a great way to spend your free time and practice English. I use my mobile phone just to give a ring to my parents when I finish my school day. I have a simple one, since I've been in sixth grade.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 29 November, 2013 - 07:43

Hi Harabeli! You're right, it is supposed to be controlled by people, but often we forget! I use my laptop a lot for my university work too, and for other work, but when I have lots of work I worry that I sepnd too much time on it. What do you like to do when you surf the net?