Science and technology

Parents and Technology

30
TeresaC

My parents are useless with anything remotely technological. Computers, printers, cameras, mobile phones, iPods … you name it, they can’t use it!

Over the Christmas holidays, my parents had to ask me repeatedly how to take a photograph on their mobile phones because they kept forgetting or getting stuck. Other times, they would ask how to open a new tab on their internet page. And don’t get me started on Facebook!! Recently, to keep in contact whilst I am abroad, my Mum decided to create a Facebook page. In my opinion, parents should not have Facebook if they can’t use it, and should NEVER be ‘friends’ with their children! My Mum only has 11 ‘friends’ - two of them are myself and my sister! - and she ‘likes’ and comments on EVERYTHING we do - it drives me crazy!

When I arrived at home for the Christmas holidays, my Mum presented me with a list of things she needed me to help her with on her computer before I left. Number one on this list was ‘how do I make a folder to put word documents in?” - something I learned at primary school!

My Mum has also recently heard of the ‘selfie’ and attempted to take a few over Christmas and New Year to prove that she is ‘down with the kids’ - an expression meaning that she is cool and up-to-date. However, she regularly forgets how to change the camera focus so it is facing towards her, and her finger is often covering the lens! She also often moves the camera when she takes a photo so that they come out blurry. Her favourite mistake is to accidentally change the function to video, so when she looks back at her ‘photos’, you can see her standing still and smiling for a few seconds, followed by her voice saying ‘oh dear, I’ve done it wrong again!’ It makes me laugh a lot, and luckily my friends have similar problems with their parents and technology!!!

Sometimes I get annoyed when my Mum asks me (for the hundredth time!) how to do something on her computer. but I try to stay patient and help her. She has now started to ask my sister for help too, so she isn’t constantly asking me!!

Can your parents use technology? Who do they ask when they get stuck? What do you do if you get stuck?

AnD's picture
AnD 5 May, 2014 - 07:22

My parents are great in technology. They actually have tought me, when I was small child. My dad tought me Photoshop, because he's a designer. My mum tought me MSWord, because she's actually a PC-operator. Now I'm not probably much better than my parents in technology. The only thing is, that I type faster then they. And they hate using smart-phones with touch-screens. They say, touch-screens are "foolish, and it's true :). My grandmom uses mobile-phone and has e-mail. And I don't think, that technology is impossible to learn for parents and grandparents :) Maybe they just never have felt excited about it, as we did?

Lorriee's picture
Lorriee 31 March, 2014 - 21:51

Firstly I was aware of helping my mother to use internet but hey, they are the X generation and it could be our mission to teach them. We naturally use complicated gadgets causing the age. I know that sometimes it is very annoying when they keep asking about the internet, smartphone, gps or other stuffs. Honestly I think this is cool, when I can teach something new (you know, I am a tiny offspring of my parents and I'm asked to teach them! Damn crazy but I like it.) so when they acchive something little of these applications, majes me so proud of them. :) Of course my English is terrible but I hope that I made it out.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 7 April, 2014 - 18:42

Hi Lorriee! Thanks for your comment. I think it's great that you're happy to help your parents! Recently my Mum phoned me to ask for help, and she understood what I taught her! I was really pleased that she's finally started to understand!! What kind of problems do your parents have with technology? What kinds of technology do you like to use? 

Konstantina's picture
Konstantina 21 February, 2014 - 16:14

Well,my mother's job involves working on the computer.So,she is better than me in some things.My dad is useless at computers - he doesn't know how we open it:P

cklj's picture
cklj 19 February, 2014 - 14:31

My mum uses technology, but my father hates everytning about the thing called "computer". My mother has a Facebook account and she often uses the internet to surf the Net and look for some recipes. When she gets stuck, which is happening very often she is asking help from me or from my sister. My sister isn't always willing to help her and she gets angry easily.

Lavender 16 February, 2014 - 03:55

My parents just use computer to surf the internet and other little things. They use Microsoft words a lot so they type very fast. But they don't learn how to edit the document they think it is not necessary. My mom is better then my dad with the computer she often uses Power Point to support her work. I'm the one who taught her and now she can do it herself.
I totally agree with Teresa that parents should stay away from Facebook. Thanks god my parents have nothing to do with Fb so I persuade them not to sign up. I'm not selfish or but somehow in my mind facebook is something just for the young generation or celebrities.

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 8 February, 2014 - 17:44

Yes,of course.My parents use technology.My father doesnt have any problem with technology but sometimes my mother has any problem with technology.I help my mother with technology.

justcricketforme 25 January, 2014 - 11:52

My Dad knows technology and can use it and he has studied computers. But, my Mum! I being a person who gets 70% in computers, am far better than her. Just a week ago I taught her to Google, use the microwave, type and e-mail. I just wish she was like Dad and I could get much better marks!

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 27 January, 2014 - 16:42

Hi justcricketforme! I think it's funny that you had to teach your Mum to use the microwave because my Mum never uses ours as she doesn't know how to use it either!! Is your Mum good at remembering everything you teach her? My Mum needs to be shown how to use Google or Facebook nearly every week!! 

justcricketforme 30 January, 2014 - 12:09

Not at all! She had to pop some popcorns and she was like "Umm.. Zainab dear could you tell how to operate it again?" It's just frusterating!

ellen's picture
ellen 24 January, 2014 - 16:26

İ used computer. My father used, too.
Yes< I agree Niluh comment. Couse, my mother understand computer or other technology.
My mum isn't good at technology, she is using basic phone which is easy to use it but she still finds hard to
My father often used @mail, google and facebook.
İ don't use those
Because, my father does not,
He said:"Such tools are distracting you from classes, but then you're dealing with."

But, i usually used only Twitter.
I have got many followers.
My mum isn't good at technology, she is using basic phone which is easy to use it but she still finds hard to operate it.
My grandma there is interest in Internet.
And finally We used Skype. We are in touch with far away relatives through Skype.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 25 January, 2014 - 11:51

Hi Ellen! I used to have a Twitter account too, but I didn't use it very much so I deleted it. How often do you use your Twitter? I also use Skype to keep in touch with my family and friends - I think it's great! I also like to write letters by hand and send them in the post - technology isn't the only way to keep in touch! Do you like to write letters too? 

ellen's picture
ellen 26 January, 2014 - 11:27

Hello , Terasac.
Thank you very much for everything.
Yes, i used Twitter, but sometimes.
Because, i prepare univercity and i have not any time.
Yes, I like to write letters by hand.
Before I, write letters by hand, but now i write to internet.
Internet or write letters by hand?and why?
Waiting for your mind.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 27 January, 2014 - 16:39

Hi Ellen! I hope your preparations for university are going well - what do you want to study? I prefer to write letters by hand when I have the time, but I use the internet to keep in contact with my friends and family most of the time because it's quicker and easier. I love Skype because it feels like people are actually there with you! I use my phone to keep in contact with my friends and family too, and I have internet on it so it is very easy. Do you have a mobile phone too? 

ellen's picture
ellen 30 January, 2014 - 15:26

Hello, Terasac.
I am sorry. couse, i am late your questions answering.
Because, i havent time.
I want to be Busineswoman. because it is one of the more profitable areas of art ..
Yes, i have got mobile phone , but i dont used often.
i think, people holding time on the phone, the phone confused, all things are forgotten.
And you?
What do you think about phone?

what do you study?
Thank you.

Niluh 22 January, 2014 - 09:42

My mum isn't good at technology, she is using basic phone which is easy to use it but she still finds hard to operate it. She ever asked me how to clear all messages and how to set an alarm in her phone. Sometimes when she borrows my phone to send a message, i have to help her because she thinks that my phone has different way to use it. My mum doesn't understand what is Facebook or Google and she never know how to operate computer, laptop and tablet computer. If she wants to play games in my tablet computer, she constantly asks my sister to find her favourite games then she calls me to turn it off after she finished the game. It's annoying actually but i can't refuse to do all of her weird requests, just stay patient and remember that she is one of the most important person in my life that i must treat her like a queen!

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 22 January, 2014 - 19:43

Hi Niluh! Your Mum sounds a lot like mine!!! She doesn't understand how to use Google to search for information - she always asks me, and then looks amazed when I find the answer on Google!! But I completely agree with you - our parents are very important and so we must look after them. Is your Dad good at using technology? 

Niluh 23 January, 2014 - 11:54

Hi Teresa! My dad doesn't have any problem with technology, he's the only one who using smart phone in our family, my mum and my sisters don't. He uses his phone for searching on Google and he has account on Facebook too!

Natalija 21 January, 2014 - 21:55

My parents and technology-they don't match each other. My father thinks he is the best for technology and stuff like that; he has a super modern mobile, tablet and laptop, but it's not his thing indeed. He knows basic things, of course, and he is always starring at his "equipment", what I find so annoying. He downloads so many programs, and once our computer's system failed because of too many programs. Thanks God, he has to work a lot, and he has meetings every day, so he can't do that as much as he wanted, but in his free time, he always knows what to do, unluckily.
My mom is completely uninterested in technology. She has a very simple mobile, with basic functions, and a lap top, but she is rarely on Internet. She travels a lot due to her job-she's an archaeologist and she's completely in her world, thanks God. Sometimes she has to use computer because of her job, and than she calls me to help, and I hate that. She asks too much, and I can't handle it. When she does some basic operations, she always thinks she'll destroy everything and it's even funny at moments. But I always help her, it's my duty, even though I'm not fascinated by that idea at all. She's my mom and of course I'll learn her what I can.
The worst thing is when my grandpa wants to use Internet. He asks me for help like once in a year, but when it comes to that, he has no compassion. :D He could research for hours, but the worst thing is that he can't turn computer on. He's 78 years old and he's a lawyer, so he needs to read some laws and stuff like that, and it always occurs to me to be the one to read the new laws for 2 hours! I hate that and try to avoid it, but again, I love him and can't refuse him. Once, while researching, he accidentally put some music I had been listening to, and it was so loud. I think it was Shakira or Lady Gaga. He didn't know what to do, and it was kind of a weird situation, he felt like in Wonderland.
My grandma sometimes watches TV shows on Internet and she calls me to find newest episodes of some TV shows, and to reload it for 2 times. When there is no Internet, she blames me and says I did something to prevent her from watching.
It's true, elders can be annoying when it comes to technology, and they're driving us crazy, but they're too important for us to get angry.

Lorriee's picture
Lorriee 31 March, 2014 - 21:56

I feel so terrible! I pushed the "report" button but I did'n do it on purpose. I'm so sorry. :( Just new in this side.

Jonathan - Coor... 1 April, 2014 - 03:43

Hi Lorriee. Don't worry, I've removed the report now. We check all the reported comments regularly and remove the report if there's no problem. I know it's very easy to click on the wrong button by mistake, so don't worry about it at all! And thanks for being so considerate and letting us know it was an accident :-) I hope you enjoy using the site.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 22 January, 2014 - 09:01

Hi Natalija! Thank you for your detailed comment - it's great to see I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with my parents when it comes to technology! But I completely agree with you - they are too important for us to get angry. 

I found the story about your grandpa very funny! My grandpa has recently bought a tablet, and he tried to Skype me from it last week. My sister was visiting him at the time so she could help him. At first, he was holding the tablet the wrong way up!! My grandma is very forgetful and doesn't understand Skype at all - she thought I was a TV programme. It was only when my sister explained that I could see her that she understood! But when we finished the Skype call she wanted to know where I had gone, because she thought I was actually there with her after a while! 

serap's picture
serap 20 January, 2014 - 19:06

My father uses a computer. He sometimes asks for my help. And I say what he should do once or twice and he understands easily. It's not a problem for me. Usually, my parents can use technology!

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 21 January, 2014 - 09:43

Hi Serap! It's great that your parents can use technology - they won't annoy you like my parents annoy me! What kinds of technology do you like to use?