Science and technology

Vasa - a successful failure?

25
Nicole Salomon

Let’s go back to Stockholm in the year 1628. On the 10th of August a huge Swedish warship called VASA leaves the harbour of Stockholm on its first (maiden) voyage. On board are not only sailors and soldiers, but also their families who are allowed to travel with the crew for a while. The king ordered the building of battle ships, including the Vasa, in hope of transforming Sweden into one of the greatest naval powers of Europe. Not only the size was impressive (height: 52,5 metres from the keel to the top of the mainmast, length: 69 metres, breadth: 11,7 metres) but also for the first time 64 cannons were fixed onto two decks of the ship.

25 minutes after the launch of the Vasa, thousands of watching people from Stockholm are in shock: a gust of wind takes the massive sails and the huge vessel leans dangerously to one side! Horror strikes when it becomes clear that the gun ports on one side (still open for the salute) fill with water immediately.  Within a short amount of time, the Vasa has sunk to the bottom of the sea and has taken 30 of 150 people with her – only 1,3 kilometres away from the city! Rumours about the sinking emerge in Sweden and the rest of Europe – whose fault was it that two years of hard work, loads of money and the lives of 30 people are lost? As it turns out, the captain of the Vasa knew that the ship was not stable for a journey because it was built too narrow and the central point of gravity was too high. This is why a gust of wind was enough to sink it! However, the admiral, who was afraid of telling the king that all these years of work had been for nothing, took the risk - and lost.

Stockholm today.

Not far from the city centre, on an island that belongs to the king of Sweden, I see two masts rising from the top of a high building – the very popular Vasamuseet (Vasa museum). Entering the hall of the museum I am amazed by the view: the Vasa ship emerges in full size in front of me. After a free tour I’ve learned that 95 per cent (!) of the ship is original: in the 1960s the wreck was found on the bottom of the sea and raised up to the surface without breaking it. The preservation of the Vasa took another three decades until Stockholm opened up a museum around the ship in 1990. People could now explore the fascinating mystery of the warship.

Calling the Vasa a complete failure does not seem fair: because of the sinking, science was able to make progress, especially on preservation techniques. The archaeological findings from the ship (including human skeletons and their belongings) tell us a lot about how people used to live in the 17th century. Moreover, the Vasa, a great loss for the country back then, now creates an income for many people working in the tourist sector.

The Swedish King Gustav II Adolf made this ship hoping to be remembered. Never in his wildest dreams could he have imagined what the future would hold for his "unlucky" flagship.

For more information see: http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/

Are there any important moments in the history of your country that interest you?

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 4 January, 2016 - 07:48

A lot
-the arrival of the Aryans from India to Sri Lanka
-the reign of king Dutugemunu
-the invasion of Portuguese, the dutch and the British

Ikares's picture
Ikares 9 January, 2014 - 18:26

I'm from italy and I like the moment when my country was united by Garibaldi and his little army. He started from the Kingdom of Piedmont, and with a ship he went to sicily. He chase away the actual king; next he went to sud of Italic peninsula, went back. He create the Italian Kingdom in 1861, more or less similar to the current. After Italy became a republic in 1946, after the second world war.

Azerigirl's picture
Azerigirl 16 July, 2013 - 17:21

There was a lot of historial monuments in Azerbaijan,in Karabakh.But armenian soldiers destroyed them twenty years ago.I think those monuments was very important to learn Asia's history

Natalija 3 April, 2013 - 15:35

And I'd like to mention that I'm interested in Serbia in Middle ages, that's very interesting part of the history, but there isn't very much informations about it, because it was so many centuries ago. I like the royal family Nemanjic the most(they were on the throne for 2 centuries), and they really influenced our country a lot.
I'm interested to get to know more about other country's history, so please, write;).

Natalija 28 March, 2013 - 12:46

There are many important moments, but I think that the most important day is the day of the country-it's 15th February, that's the day when constitution was published, and Sretenjski ustav(that's the name of this constitution), was one of the first democratic constitutions in the world, and first modern constitution in Serbia. We don't go to school at that day, and it's very important for people here, because it meant more freedom for Serbians and no autocracy any longer(Serbia was under the Turkish imperia for 4 centuries).

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 9 March, 2013 - 11:12

.....I think the most important day of our country is the independence day.....

megisiana's picture
megisiana 28 February, 2013 - 19:52

Yes i am very interesting in history just to see ancient object i fell more focus in the future buk i don't like to learn it...........Even that my country have a beautiful story i have to study it at school,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i like visit ancient city i think there are full with mystery and i like mystery very much

mandi braka's picture
mandi braka 2 February, 2013 - 08:36

ilda if u want to experience other countries u can make a tour in balkan...u"ll be impressed...^_^

Demy's picture
Demy 20 January, 2013 - 20:32

Hello everybody again)
I think that the of the most important day in Ukraine it is Victory Day.It is celebrated on May.
Many people were killing during the war.It is terrible...
So I am very glad that now we are have independence and have not war...

Irini Real Madrid's picture
Irini Real Madrid 19 January, 2013 - 11:20

in albania we have too much history of our country.
tocountinue with our hero scanderbeg and to finish to our politic with sali berisha

Ilda G's picture
Ilda G 20 January, 2013 - 19:34

Yes we have a lot of statues here in albania..
For example the statue of our national hero "skanderbeg" is both in Tirana(our capital city) and Kruja....

Simon's picture
Simon 15 January, 2013 - 01:57

Hi Demy. Well spotted! There is nothing wrong with your computer. There is now a discussion question for this article. Hope you enjoyed reading it.

Simon (LearnEnglish Teens Team)